TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Well, I always wanted to experience a hyperwoodie, but I knew that it would be torn down. Now, that Kings Island has more open real estate, I can't wait to see what will be its replacement and I believe (and hope) that it would be something big.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually thought it was pretty cool, early on. No question, it became the most unendurable ride ever in those later years. Like being in a minutes-long car accident.

The huge upside: so much new real estate to play with!

I only rode this roller coaster for the credit. I think Cedar Fair kept it so they could have one wooden coaster in the chain more dreadful than Mean Streak. Realistically, they probably went to the Rocky Mountain team and they came back with a big price tag and/or bad prognosis for restoration. They have neutered the Beast at KI as well, but that's a story for another day.

I guess we could see a Giga pop up here seeing as the major parks in the chain have them and this one doesn't (It's fair to call CW and KD major parks in addition to KI and CP, right?). They might carry over the Leviathan name and maybe even a similar track layout. It would be weird having a B&M Hyper and Giga in the same park, but they also have that at CW.

If Cedar Point actually gets a wing rider, I doubt KI would get one a year afterwards unless CF is trying to roll out the wing model to certain parks with some haste. I can see some dragon name going in there, seeing as we have moved from fictitious hawks to snakes and racecar drivers to dragons as the ride namesakes/mascots.

Nice. Hopefully the land will be used for something good. Not sure they would use that particular spot for another giant wooden (or wooden structured) roller coaster because of potential association with SOB.

Don't know too many parks the size of KI that don't have a full circuit B&M inverter.

Here are some pictures of Son of Beast I took on Tuesday. My camera has a pretty good zoom on it so I figured I could get some close looks at the structure.

I actually liked the ride when it was fairly new. The loop was really fun, but of course that was the only reason anyone ever rode it. Once the loop was gone, my interest in the ride vanished (what little of it there was). I am so glad Kings Island is finally getting rid of this piece of crap.

P1010424.thumb.JPG.03d402ba204157010ff3d00e839c18ff.JPG

P1010425.thumb.jpg.a95cb1ef8bdeeb5cf52223cfa7f04daa.jpg

P1010426.thumb.JPG.ba2d72a1cf0b96a4e0cbda3c955bdc4a.JPG

P1010432.thumb.jpg.fdd3819a65937a92e9aadab2582d4bbd.jpg

You can see here how rusted out the chain is.

P1010433.thumb.JPG.f9412c699a08633c02043e30b804d826.JPG

P1010446.thumb.jpg.62cfa7f989ebb3cef673bdfb0f79e97f.jpg

P1010452.thumb.JPG.7dc1c0713bda2ab17d499f0a555b6688.JPG

Rot in Pieces, you Son of a B*tch. Though Son Of Beast has the distinction of being the only coaster I've seen boobies on.

They could raise a lot of money selling places in the demolition crew to the public, probably enough to put in an Intamin Prefab.

If you think about it KI is next in line for a new coaster. That is if you go off of 2008-2010. CW got Behemoth in 08, KI got Diamondback in 09, Carowinds got Timmy in 10. So it could only mean KI gets a new coaster in 13, considering Leviathan came to CW in 12.

There's really no "next in line". Remember that even though the parks are part of the Cedar Fair chain, each park is an individual and has its own budget and construction schedule.

Also, there are a lot of factors that will determine how much money Kings Island makes or loses with the demolition of Son of Beast. Sure, you can sell off the wood and steel, but a lot of the wood could be in really bad shape. You have to bring in a paid crew to demolish the ride in a controlled manner and another paid crew to haul it all away.

That doesn't surprise me one bit - SOB is tied (actually now that I think about it, it may have actually been a good deal worse since it was a much longer coaster) with Drachen Fire in my all time list of roughest, most painful coasters I've ever ridden. Speaking of a car accident, I was in one that totaled my car several years ago (where I t-boned a stop-sign runner going about 20-25 miles an hour, so you know it was more than just a fender-bender) and if I had to chose between riding SOB again and going thru the accident again, I'd choose the accident!

I always felt that once SoB lost it's loop, the coaster was probably ready to go... Just a thought, would be cool to see a Rocky Mountain Coaster come in there, perhaps having some more unique elements up their sleeves... I'm sure something cool is in store for you KI visitors.

I rode it 3 times (in a row) in 2005. The lift (I'm a lift hill enthusiast) and loop were awesome. But I couldn't believe some of the curves actually had *corners* in them; I think it was around or in the 2nd (smaller) helix area. You could see them coming "no, not again!" After those 3 rides (my friend had left the station after 2, I had to take a third just to make sure what I experienced was real) I walked off with a sore back. The only ride that I think *really - not joking* hurt me.

I've heard the wood can't/shouldn't be burned as it has some special crazy coating on it. Ride ops and had hand out rubber gloves during lift hill evacuations; apparently the wood wasn't healthy to even touch.

Too many cooks in the kitchen on that project. It's too bad - soon after, Intamin came up with plug-n-play track. The layout still would have been unexciting, but it would have been at least smooth and ride-able.

I'm still grateful I got those 3 rides on "Sonny." RIP.

Hopefully they will donate the wood to Habitat for Humanity!! LOL. But seriously, there is still a lot of land left over back in that area from the Wildlife Safari monorail that could provide a lot of room for a serious terrain coaster or maybe a heavily themed wing rider.

If they have a bonfire, I would do everything in my power to be there to video tape it getting torched!

I would do everything in my power to stay far away, and also to avoid being downwind from that bonfire.

Gotta love the GP on the Facebook page complaining about how Cedar Fair sucks and that SoB was the greatest coaster of all time. One even stated how this is a major loss for coaster enthusiasts to lose their "beloved SoB".

Beloved by whom? I mean really?

That's just the way it is. Taller and faster is equal to better most of the time.

Edited by Ed Farmer