TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I have heard that they are making a ton of money from it and based on the fact that Cedar Fair is adding it to Cedar Point and Kings Dominion, I'd assume it's been very successful. Not to mention Kings Island has said that they are expanding their own next year. It always appeared to be pretty crowded on days I was there.

They're expanding it?

I guess they discovered a new species at the last minute....one that feeds exclusively on Kinzel's remains as it's primary source of nutrition.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting post on Screamscape:

In other news, a reader who dropped by Kings Island the other day say they came across some interesting decorations set up for Halloween Haunt near The Beast. A fake graveyard has been built which had gravestones made for many of the park’s old removed rides. Actually, not just rides from Kings Island, they had a few gravestones for rides removed from Geauga Lake as well.

Nothing too odd about all that, however in the display was another item they felt was noteworthy… a dug up grave site with an open and empty casket lying in front. The casket was covered with broken chains all around, as in whatever was inside, had broken free. There were two tombstones behind this caskets, one for Geauga Lake’s old Raging Wolf Bobs, while the other simply said, “My Unloved Son”.

I’ve got to wonder if this is just a standard bit of themeing the park has used for the past few years, or a new little tease to the enthusiast crowds regarding the possible fate of Son of Beast. Anyone know more or have a picture of this? I’d love to see it.

^the fact that the chains are broken and the casket is open leads me to believe they're planning on re-opening the ride, if in fact the grave yard has any meaning towards the future at all. The height and speed give that thing great potential but making it rideable again is a major project, which I know has been said many many times before.

I know a few people that work at CP and they're saying that the new CF guy is shaking things up big time, in a good way. I've heard a few juicy rumors about CP for 2013, so I can only assume that KI will get some love too.

Right now I'm a bit sketchy about Matt because of the whole fastpass thing. Hopefully he'll start doing some good things next year.

Personally I've become a supporter of any style of the "Fast Pass" or "Fast Lane" systems because I do not get to parks as often as I'd like. These systems allow me to get as much of my fix as I can before the long drought that lies ahead. I'm not familiar with the new system in place at KI but I'm sure it has a few kinks that need worked out before it's where it needs to be.

Well you aren't the target market for the Fast Pass. It can be extremely useful for those traveling far from out of town or those who simply cannot make it to the parks as often as a season pass holder. Also, if they weren't as expensive as they are they wouldn't work because too many people would buy them, in turn defeating the purpose.

An interesting post on Screamscape:

In other news, a reader who dropped by Kings Island the other day say they came across some interesting decorations set up for Halloween Haunt near The Beast. A fake graveyard has been built which had gravestones made for many of the park’s old removed rides. Actually, not just rides from Kings Island, they had a few gravestones for rides removed from Geauga Lake as well.

Nothing too odd about all that, however in the display was another item they felt was noteworthy… a dug up grave site with an open and empty casket lying in front. The casket was covered with broken chains all around, as in whatever was inside, had broken free. There were two tombstones behind this caskets, one for Geauga Lake’s old Raging Wolf Bobs, while the other simply said, “My Unloved Son”.

I’ve got to wonder if this is just a standard bit of themeing the park has used for the past few years, or a new little tease to the enthusiast crowds regarding the possible fate of Son of Beast. Anyone know more or have a picture of this? I’d love to see it.

Not 100% sure on this, but I think those were decorations last year as well. Last year was my first year goign to Haunt so I didnt focus on every little detail...

As far as running it, I've heard rumors on every single angle, but I have to agree that the flaw is in the track's structure, not just some sort of retracking issue... [insert rant on how I work for CF and can't say anything else here]

Well you aren't the target market for the Fast Pass. It can be extremely useful for those traveling far from out of town or those who simply cannot make it to the parks as often as a season pass holder. Also, if they weren't as expensive as they are they wouldn't work because too many people would buy them, in turn defeating the purpose.

I know the targeted audience for the Fast Pass. It stinks for everyone who doesn't get Fast Pass because it just makes the lines longer; that's why I don't like them.

I know the targeted audience for the Fast Pass. It stinks for everyone who doesn't get Fast Pass because it just makes the lines longer; that's why I don't like them.

The issue with fastpass is that were comparing it to systems we know like Q-Bot. Sure the alternative is cheaper, but for less service. While a Q-bot can manage and shorten your waits for most attractions, the Fast Lane is basically a wristband that lets you right on. Theres no waiting, no getting a specific time to ride. You just show up, show the operator your wristband, and just hop on in the next available cycle. Its a low blow to people waiting in line, but once again, this is an exclusive rite to have paid an additional $50 on top of admission. I'd say its well worth it, especially now that were getting into Haunt season and all the major rides/Haunts will be CROWDED!!!!!

Speaking of which: fright pass=best idea ever! I know when I was checking out Haunt for the first time last year that it took me a good 3 visits to see everything. Now you can go through each area once and still have ride time for a reasonable extra fee. Might have to invest in one on my day off....

-that one cool guy who's usually stuck on Monster/Scrambler/Dodgems but sometimes gets to work coasters

Events

There’s only one place where your kids can trick-or-treat with life-sized dinosaurs: DINOSAURS ALIVE at King Island. Your kids will collect a t-rex sized bag of candy in the shadows of sixty moving dinosaurs, including the largest animatronic dinosaur in the world. Uncover a giant skeleton at our dig site or decorate and take home your very own mini pumpkin.

Dinosaurs are just half the fun. All your favorite rides are open during the day along with all sorts of Halloween activities in our HOWL-O-FEST area include a hay bale maze, petting zoo, costume contest, and more.

Sounds like the picnic area is still open but all the candy distro is at the dinosaurs with a $5 fee.

We are going to visit kings island this saturday for their halloween event. How crowded will it be and should I plan on buying fast passes for the rides and haunted attractions?

About the only thing going for you is that it is early in the haunt season. Saturday's during haunt tend to be extremely crowded. I always recommend getting there and checking out the crowds before deciding to buy a fast/fright pass but if history is any indication it will prolly be necessary to get everything done in one night.

Not 100% sure on this, but I think those were decorations last year as well. Last year was my first year goign to Haunt so I didnt focus on every little detail...

As far as running it, I've heard rumors on every single angle, but I have to agree that the flaw is in the track's structure, not just some sort of retracking issue... [insert rant on how I work for CF and can't say anything else here]

I think ive seen pictures of the tombstone last year, but if i remember it was quite different. In the picture it was a closed coffin chained down with the caption "to my beloved son." This year from the picture, it looked like they were trying to make a statement. Im doubtful SOB will be opened, im not entirely sure it can be opened again. I really want to ride that ride, so there could be some bias on my part.

I'm travelling 5 hours from Pittsburgh to go to KI next Saturday when the park is open from 11am-1am. Are there any attractions that are affected (i.e., close early) for Haunt? And how is the anticipated crowd?

I've been to KI once before but not during Haunt season I am taking my girlfriend who has never been.

Thats what I thought. Been too busy working the rides to check out any of the new for 2011 Haunts/trails so far, but I'm gonna try to go through the park next Friday or Saturday when I'm off....

-Everyone's favorite Monster/Scrambler/Dodgems guy