TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Turn it into the worlds largest Ropes Course. Hike up the lift stairs, zipline into the rose bowl helix, turn the interior structure of the helix into a a giant climbing wall, then build a giant looping slide of death where the infamous loop once stood.

I wonder how many people are drawn to the park by just the sight of SOB. It's at the front, it's huge, and it's scary looking. I would keep it SBNO just to draw people in.

I drove past KI for the first time ever a few days ago and I didn't even see it, let alone feel drawn in by it.

I think they should build a ZacSpin inside the first big helix.

Not gonna lie, this made me almost spit out my water!

I do hope the park does something with SoB. When we visited the park, despite knowing how crap a ride it was, I was still intrigued by it. I realize for the cost that CF wouldn't consider the NTAG treatment, but man, I could only imagine what that ride could turn into if they did!

I was just there today for the first time! Loved the park and rides, really good places for picture taking too. And I was called "stupid Mr.flip-flop" and told to put on my "man pants" . If anyone does plan on using these, i recommend buying them on weekends only, since today was so uncrowded, (there were barely any rides on The Beast, Diamondback, Flight Deck and the Stunt Coaster, it was awesome). The 50 bucks is a little expensive, and since there are so many rides the crowd can spread out pretty easily, so personally I would only buy it on a really crowded day.

FYI - There are at least 55 available per day cause we just bought them all for our Road to Cedar Point Participants!

Ah, I wasn't sure whether to expect this. Thanks so much!

I look forward to trying out the system. I'm almost (but not quite) hoping for crowds just to see how much it'll help!

I wonder how many people are drawn to the park by just the sight of SOB. It's at the front, it's huge, and it's scary looking. I would keep it SBNO just to draw people in.

I drove past KI for the first time ever a few days ago and I didn't even see it, let alone feel drawn in by it.

You aren't their audience. Coming from someone who works in the amusement industry, we want to sell to the General Public, which is 99% of our customer base. Coaster Nerds such as ourselves overlook that kind of stuff. If you had the option to pay $0 and perhaps attract a couple thousand people, or pay $1million to tear it down, what would you do?

^Um, they attract based on their advertising and promotions. If you're driving directly in front of the park, chances are you've already made the decision to go there. Locals, who WOULD maybe be attracted based on the looks of a ride, all know that it isn't open and hasn't been for a while now. From a marketing standpoint, that argument just doesn't hold water. They don't really show it on any ads, which is where they would if they were interested in using its look to attract more people to the park. Diamondback is much more prominent in the skyline, and a lot more people are attracted to the park by that (because they heavily feature it and Windseeker in their ads)

Plus, the impact building a new ride in its place would have on attendance would be huge. You didn't factor that into your argument.

Whatever they end up doing with the ride the decision will likely be very financially motivated.

As opposed to what? Doesn't every decision at every park heavily revolve around money?

Not necessarily every decision at every park, I don't see Disney and Universal sparing any expense to create high quality attractions, or even Dollywood.

What I meant was that the specific decision on what to do with SOB will be financially motivated in that what is a better investment that will show a better ROI for the park in the long run? Spending money to refurbish the ride and re open it as a new attraction or spending money to remove the ride and potentially build something new in its place, which option will cost more and how much is too much to see a significant ROI.

More from www.screamscape.com

2012 - Son Of Beast Returns - Rumor Only - (7/22/11) While I’ve heard about various plans to save Son of Beast so far this month, another anonymous source wrote in to say that none of it is going to happen. From what they’ve been led to believe, the board determined that it really wasn’t financially feasible to repair / rebuild / remodel Son of Beast and still get a decent ROI on the project, so one of Kinzel’s last orders of business may have been to sign the death warrant for Son of Beast. After all, they’ve already lost more than the coaster, but a slew of lawsuits from injured riders which were all settled. The SOB has cost them quite enough already...

More from www.screamscape.com
2012 - Son Of Beast Returns - Rumor Only - (7/22/11) While I’ve heard about various plans to save Son of Beast so far this month, another anonymous source wrote in to say that none of it is going to happen. From what they’ve been led to believe, the board determined that it really wasn’t financially feasible to repair / rebuild / remodel Son of Beast and still get a decent ROI on the project, so one of Kinzel’s last orders of business may have been to sign the death warrant for Son of Beast. After all, they’ve already lost more than the coaster, but a slew of lawsuits from injured riders which were all settled. The SOB has cost them quite enough already...

Yeah I got a a feeling that is going to be the final decision even though I'd love to see it saved. I got a feeling that some of the biggest issues with the ride were structural issues as a result of the thing being so damn big to begin with. I believe the accident in 2006 that initially closed the ride was a result of a structural failure of some kind (I remember reading the incident report on it that was posted on a government website somewhere). So if the structure can't support the ride as is then re profiling it to support the iron horse track just may not be feasible without major upgrades to the structure itself.

I'd love to see it saved, and turned into a crazy NTAG kind of ride even if it were to cost 15-20+ Million dollars but in reality the price tag to do that might be much much higher.

^Yeah this will probably be the best option since so much money has been put in to try to fix the ride already.

I can picture it now. The structure being demolished with all the Kings Island and Cedar Fair staff plus enthusiasts all havin' a party down below shouting "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE BEAST!!!!!"

Not necessarily every decision at every park, I don't see Disney and Universal sparing any expense to create high quality attractions, or even Dollywood.

What I meant was that the specific decision on what to do with SOB will be financially motivated in that what is a better investment that will show a better ROI for the park in the long run? Spending money to refurbish the ride and re open it as a new attraction or spending money to remove the ride and potentially build something new in its place, which option will cost more and how much is too much to see a significant ROI.

Which is the exact reason Disney and Universal spend the extra money to make high-quality, high-detailed attractions. The better the attraction looks and captures the public's attention, the more people will be likely to visit - which means more money and a greater ROI. They just don't make the attractions look amazing just for the hell of it.

Moving on, the main reason SoB has so many problems was the company who built it. RCCA isn't exactly a giant in the industry, and they aren't even around anymore (as far as I'm aware). SoB was by far their biggest project, and it just didn't seem like they had the experience to take on a ride that enormous. The best option at this time would be to just remove the faulty structure of the ride and start from scratch with a new ride from a new company.

^ I wonder in the initial conceptualization phases of SOB who's idea it was to go over 200 feet tall, Kings Islands or RCC'A's? I also wonder if Kings Island approached any other companies about building that ride for them, maybe RCCA was the only copmany willing to attempt building a coaster over 200ft tall.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the problems directly on RCCA as much as attempting to build a wooden coaster that tall to begin with (which might have been kings Islands call). Had Gravity Group or GCI been contracted to build that ride it might not have turned out any differently. Hades and Voyage are 2 larger coasters by a more "experienced" company that have both more or less turned to crap in recent years.

I'm going to the park next week (Wednesday and Thursday). Typically, how crowded can the park get during the week at the end of July?

According to Bkkman13 who had just gone there, he said that it wasn't crowded at all. So I'm hoping it won't be crowded either when I go.

^Good question. Crowd level assessments are subjective, so to any local who answers this question, a sincere thank-you. Please offer estimated wait times at popular and low capacity attractions rather than "it wasn't busy" or "it was dead."

I hope to visit the park on Monday Aug 22, when the hours are 10-8. What are peak wait times likely to be at Diamondback, the Beast, Flight of Fear, the inverted boomerang and the other coasters? A "short" 30 minute line to a CP visitor is long in other places.

^ Well, what's the weather like? Are there any summer camps attending that day? Is the park running any promotion with local groups that day? Bottom line, every day is different. If the day is nice, August 22nd might be busy, but Mondays are usually a good idea for Kings Island.

My best answer is that around 30 minutes is the average wait time for normal summer days at Kings Island. Some rides will be less, some more.

^Exactly! That's why the system works. People have different values in what they want to spend money on. I have no problems spending $50 so I don't have to stand in lines. If you do, that's great, that's why there are only a limited amount.

^Exactly! That's why the system works. People have different values in what they want to spend money on. I have no problems spending $50 so I don't have to stand in lines. If you do, that's great, that's why there are only a limited amount.

She's right. I would never spend that much, and being from Ohio you probably wouldn't either, but if you're coming from the West Coast and you only have one day to do the park, after which you may not be back for years to come, it seems like a much better investment. Think about it: What's $50 more when you're already buying plane tickets, rental car, hotel, and food. I would never spend $50 at Kings Island either, but if I was visiting SFOT on a busy day, I'd buy the passes in a heartbeat.

30 minute line = 30 reasons to get Fast Lane!!!!

I'm right there with you! If it saves as little as 10-15 minutes per ride, it adds up fast. It's like tacking extra operating hours onto the day. We'll probably see how it goes and make the call on the spot.