TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^If they properly limit the number of Fast Lanes they sell everyday then I don't think that the normal standby lines will get that out of control. It will probably take a little while to test and adjust how many is too many per day but once they figure it out then it should be fine. Yeah a significant group of people riding one ride over and over and over might cause some issues but that is the worst case scenario and I don't think the type of people that will pay for the Fast Lane would do this. I think it's a great idea.

From www.screamscape.com

2012 - Son Of Beast Returns - Rumor Only - (7/20/11) According to a new rumor sent in, another possible plan of action under heavy consideration for Son of Beast is to hire on the Gravity Group to not only retrack and modify the existing ride, but to also provide a pair of new Timberliner trains for it as well. No word on if this plan is leading out over any of the others yet, but I think they’ll have to make a choice soon.

Now THIS would be a great option in my opinion!

Taking the roughness factor out, the ride is really not that exciting. The whole point of the ride was the loop, and its gone. Re-tracking it and putting new trains wont take away from the fact that the ride is just not that good to begin with.

Either tear it down or change the layout, anything short of that will most likely not change how people view the ride.

It would be interesting to see what GG could do with that thing. I think SOB still has a lot of potential just because of the sheer size of the structure but at the same time that size of the structure was a big reason why the ride was so unbearable to begin with. I don't really know if timberliners can save it or not as long as it's still a 215 foot tall wooden coaster with wooden coaster trains. Thats why my vote is still to do a full rocky mountain with the new Gerstauler trains.

Although if GG raised the bottom of the first drop from 200 some feet to like 175 feet and maybe re profiled it as a crazy long double down it might be cool.

I've only ridden SoB in July of 2007 so I wasn't able to ride it with the loop. Personally, I didn't find it too rough. I guess it was part because I was just so excited about the ride, and part it was four years ago. I hope they can fix up the ride to wear many people can enjoy it.

As far as 'Fast Lane', even though I can only get to Kings Island once a year (if that) I don't have the extra money to spend for the fast pass. So my biggest concern is that if people are allowed to have unlimited re-rides with their 'fast lane' passes and currently (at least to my knowledge) there's no limit to how many people can get the passes each day, it seems like the stand-by lines are going to take outragously long to get through. That's why I'm really not liking this whole deal. They need to do it like Disney and only allow so many passes to be distributed daily or else they will have many disatisified customers.

I have a feeling that there will be a daily limit to the total number of passes sold to keep that from happening. Every other other type of up charge ride reservation system that exist (to my knowledge) has limits how many passes are sold daily and I don't see this system being any different.

I think this is an amazing deal. Ride as many times as you want within the most crowded times of the day? Sounds good to me. The riding as many times as you want without waiting in any type of line is so worth 50 bucks especially if you are only going to the park for one day and want to get everything in. Plus they only sell a limited amount per day so there won't be any lines in the Fast Lane.

I have a feeling that there will be a daily limit to the total number of passes sold to keep that from happening. Every other other type of up charge ride reservation system that exist (to my knowledge) has limits how many passes are sold daily and I don't see this system being any different.

According to the info on their site, there will be a limited amount sold every day, so you are correct.

^ And that would be one of many reasons why TPR trips are amazing!! It can't be stated enough how much you do for the participants of those trips....which is why at some point I MUST go on one!!

As for the Fast Lane, I think it's a great idea, and I hope it is implemented at other CF parks soon (especially Cedar Point). With limited sales, I really don't get how people think the standby line will be greatly affected by this. Truth is, most people who buy one aren't going to be continually riding the same ride over and over again. Plus, for only 50 bucks, it's a steal if you're coming from out of town and only have 1 day to visit. Shoot, wish they'd have had this when my wife and I made our lone visit there back in 2009!

I could see GG retracking the first drop and stupid-big helix first half, then a complete overhaul of the 2nd half of the ride adding several air time hills. The ride experience would be similar to a wooden Phantoms Revenge.

I could see GG retracking the first drop and stupid-big helix first half, then a complete overhaul of the 2nd half of the ride adding several air time hills. The ride experience would be similar to a wooden Phantoms Revenge.

this is EXACTLY what I would like to see happen to SOB! The first drop and helix are okay as is then create a new unique crazy air filled finale after the brake run with new trains and maybe a new Rocky Mountain rehab and this thing is a top 10 coaster. SOB has so much potential to be great with all of the technology availabe now, I really hope that Cedar Fair invests in it

I really hope that Cedar Fair invests in it

You mean, in addition to the Millions it already spent trying to make it rideable before closing it down again...?

Seriously, some rides are just money pits and this seems to be one of them. Cut your losses, Cedar Fair. I love coasters just as much as the next guy but as Robb has said before, some rides deserve to come down for something new.

I really hope that Cedar Fair invests in it

You mean, in addition to the Millions it already spent trying to make it rideable before closing it down again...?

Seriously, some rides are just money pits and this seems to be one of them. Cut your losses, Cedar Fair. I love coasters just as much as the next guy but as Robb has said before, some rides deserve to come down for something new.

Yeah, I realize that they've spent a lot of money on the thing to date but that was before the Iron Horse track option and new more advanced trains were available. Whatever they end up doing with the ride the decision will likely be very financially motivated. Tearing down a ride that size isn't exactly cheap, it probably is a little cheaper than refurbishing it but what is the cost difference? I think it will ultimately come down to what is more expensive tear it down and build a new ride or re work the existing ride.

Besides I think that the previous attempts to make the thing re-rideable they were still using wooden coaster trains and wooden coaster track on a ride with a 200+ foot drop. They never addressed the biggest issue with the coaster which in my opinion was that it was just too big for a wooden coaster to begin with. But now the size might not be as much of an issue with the Iron Horse track. If they were to tear it down and completely start over with a new ride it wouldn't hurt my feelings, but at the same time I'd love to see how awesome it could be with a full Texas Giant overhaul.

^There is no way that will ever happen, you know they cant get a fire truck inside that helix there isn't an access road! Besides why settle for a Zac Spin when they could easily fit about 14 Chance Toboggan coasters inside there and steal the total coaster record from SFMM?