TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I would agree with you that The Beast is the best at night. That is when I find I have my most enjoyable rides and they always seem so out of control. The daytime rides are always just kinda, meh. I plan on going to the park sometime this month or in August and am looking forward to Windseeker. It not being open is what has stopped me from going until now.

Jake

Given its namesake, is anyone *actually* surprised that the ride now featured/features a rattle?

In other news, I'm liking the favorable reviews of Windseeker. I wasn't expecting any blown-away reactions, so hearing the news that's being reported is perfectly fine for me. And the killer lighting package just sweetens the deal.

^Definately. I've ridden Windseeker 3 times already (1 night, 2 day), and it is pretty fun. Good enough to get me to wait 30-45 minutes rather than head to something like Beast or Firehawk anyways. Definately better at night, but an overall fun ride.

In other news, I have been working as a ride associate as of last week! Remember to come say hi at Monster/Scrambler...I already got the chance to work Red Racer once and absolutely loved it!

I think I can now say I'm committed to riding The Beast as late as possible. Does the ride generally improve steadily throughout the day, or is it literally only good at night?

Given its namesake, is anyone *actually* surprised that the ride now featured/features a rattle?

You have a point there!

I think I can now say I'm committed to riding The Beast as late as possible. Does the ride generally improve steadily throughout the day, or is it literally only good at night?

Its fun all day, but will be more fun at night just cause you cant see as much. But I dont think we will be there as late this time around.

^I'll settle for evening if necessary!

In some ways, The Beast sounds like "my kind of coaster", but I'll keep my expectations modest as I'm an airtime fanatic, and I have little experience with good wooden roller coasters that are renowned for other features without also including copious airtime.

^^^ Diamondback Developed a rattle? You mean an additional rattle from the quite noticeable one it had since its first season...?

Well I could be just now realizing that Diamondback has always had at least a small rattle at the bottom of every drop, in which, you can call me a former ignorant fanboy.

^See I always new about the rattle at the bottom of the hammerhead (the worst one). Up until this summer I would always just block out the bad details like that and glorify the good parts. That goes for all the coasters I've ridden. Shame on me.

I rode the Beast twice. My daytime ride was just your ordinary Beast ride love it or hate it kinda deal.

However, my night ride was INCREDIBLE. I am aware that a large part of the ride was retracked and that the ride naturally runs faster as the day goes on, but this ride seriously felt like it was pushing 70 mph on the back part of the layout. I have never experienced the Beast at that kind of speed before (this coming from somebody who has ridden it before the magnetic brakes were added). Of course there was a good bit of roughness in one or two turns, particularly the turn into the long brake shed. That just plain hurt.

If you're coming to KI this summer, please ride the Beast at night and you'll be in for a treat.

My best ride (pre-Cedar Fair trims) was at night right after a rainstorm. There was a mist hanging over the entire layout, and it really flew around the circuit. I'll be back in August and will go out of my way to ride after dark again. Thanks for reminding me. I also look forward to riding Diamondback again. I just love it's cousin, Intimidator at Carowinds.

None that I know of, no. I'm not even sure if CF owns the KI Resort up the road anymore. I'll admit that it's a bit weird, given that CP has the hotels and campground but KI, which pulls in more people, I believe, only has Great Wolf Lodge as an "affiliate hotel" or something along those lines.

^Yeah... there's little to no airtime on the Beast if I remember correctly.

There is actually some airtime on the first and second drops now. Atleast in the backseat, which is where I ALWAYS recommend riding. The Beast is all about making it as rough and wild as possible, and backseat night ride does all it can for that.

General ride tips:

-RIDE FIREHAWK ASAP! That thing has the worse lines ever, so if you want to get all the credits, go there first.

-Diamondback is VERY marathonable, so don't let the line length fool you. I barely wait more than 30 for that thing....

-Night rides: Beast, Windseeker, Racer, Backlot Stuntcoaster

-Aside from Firehawk, nothing gets too bad of a line, so as long as you give yourself a route, you can clear the park in a day.

-Planet Snoopy is actually pretty fun if you have nothing else to do. I love Woodstock Express, Surfdog, and Boo Blasters (high score 2500 this year)

KI's a pretty fun park, so have a good time if you're going, and remember to come visit me in Coney Mall. I'm learning Firehawk today, so come by from 12-8ish

-Jared

I'm not sure it solely a CF thing for Racer. Unless I'm mistaken, the trims have been there at least since the Paramount days - if not before. My guess is it has to do with the ride itself, and not the company policy.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110713/BIZ01/307130124/Cedar-Fair-high-K-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Business

Kings Island’s parent company continues to study potential new attractions, including a virtual pass that could hold a person’s place in line, the new president of Sandusky-based Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. said Wednesday while visiting the park here.

The visit was one of Matthew Ouimet’s first to Kings Island since Cedar Fair named him president on June 20. He will succeed CEO Dick Kinzel, who will retire on Jan. 3. Ouimet spent 17 of his 20 years in the amusement park and hospitality industry with The Walt Disney Co. His jobs included working as senior vice president, finance and business development, and chief financial officer of the Disney Development Co.

Ouimet, 53, gave no timetables, but said the company will “probably go there” regarding a virtual pass that could hold a person’s place in line until a predetermined time. He said announcements may be coming later this year about new attractions to the park, which will mark its 40th anniversary next year.

The company appears to be weathering the economic downturn, although second quarter earnings won’t be released for another several weeks.

Cedar Fair’s revenues over the July 4 holiday weekend were approximately $327 million, a 2 percent increase compared to the same time last year, the company said. Attendance at the company’s 11 amusement parks and six water parks also was up – 7.8 percent last year from 2009. Cedar Fair doesn’t comment on attendance at individual parks.

Ouimet said Kings Island is one of the company’s four biggest parks and called it “one of the crown jewels.” Other parks include Cedar Point in Sandusky.

He said Cedar Fair will do attractions specific for Kings Island but if something works at another park, Kings Island guests will benefit. For example, the WindSeeker swing ride opened this year at both parks. That attraction features a 301-foot tower from which riders spin 30 stories up on two-person swings.

“There’s no reason to keep something that’s working really well hidden,” he said. “And so we’d bring it here as well.”

In other matters, Ouimet said:

• The company has to be creative about Kings Island’s Son of Beast wooden roller coaster that has been closed since June 2009 after a Mason woman said she was the latest to be injured on it. Ouimet said it is too early to say what the right answer is. He said it’s a complicated issue and the company has to study it closely. “It’s an impressive structure. I have never seen anything like it,” he said.

• The amusement park company also has no immediate plans to acquire new parks. “The history of Cedar Fair is they have grown by acquisition,” Ouimet said. “And so I think as there are the right opportunities we clearly would take a look at them. But there’s … nothing specific in our plans today.”

Cedar Fair shares closed at $21.02 Wednesday, up 2 cents on the day.