TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

So that's how Dinosaurs became extinct, they spontaneously combusted. If JJ bursts into flames one day, we'll know for sure.

Let's not be too quick to burn SOB at the stake, you never know - there might be some Rocky Mountain loving coming.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Kings Island for the first time this season yesterday and have a few things to report.

First is that Windseeker looks amazing. It's very noticeable and everyone in the park was talking about it as it kept going up and down the tower all day (no spinning however). Also the night lighting on the tower looks great. It's very noticeable from everywhere in the park. I can't wait to see it with all the lights on the actual seats. It should look phenomenal.

I got two new credits in yesterday. Flying Ace Aerial Chase and Woodstock Express. Woodstock Express was surprisingly fun for such a little coaster. A great little ride. Aerial Chase confused me. How such a small, slow ride rattled around that much and created such a mess of its trackwork is beyond me. Oh well, it's a credit.

I have discovered that the front seat of Diamondback is my favorite spot on the ride. The airtime seemed quite a bit better up front and employing my new riding style made it that much better. We refer to it as ragdolling. It's exactly as it sounds. Just sit there limp and let the g-forces do their thing. It's obvious exactly how much airtime there really is when both your arms and legs suddenly launch towards the sky and stay there for several seconds. The second hill on Diamondback is still amazing to me. The amount of sustained airtime is awesome.

An interesting experience happened at the end of the day which we made sure to let guest services know about. We were in line for Diamondback and asked the station manager if we could have the front seat. He said "of course" and directed us there. Once we were in the station they made an announcement that everyone should cram into the station wherever they wanted to. A bunch of people came into the front line behind us. Then a female ride op decided she didn't like this despite the fact that it was exactly what they told us to do, so she came up to the people in line and said "ummm, you need to GET out of this line, NOW!!!" People didn't really respond to this due to the fact that most people really don't like listening to someone who is being rude for no reason. She then came back over as people started to realize why we were being told to move and she then proclaimed, "I said MOVE, go to other lines, NOW!!!" People started talking back to her as she rolled her eyes, put in some ear plugs, then went back to her station. Completely unprofessional way of asking people to evenly disperse so that they can get the last few trains filled for the night. Then once we got on the train in a different row the guy on the microphone asked them to unlock some random row so somebody could get on the train to which the person in the booth said something (I don't recall what it was) to which the guy with the microphone says, over the intercom system in the station, "ughhh, f**k" A bunch of people stopped for a second then started asking each other if that's what he had just said. Completely unprofessional. I'm not one to be offended easily, and I wasn't, but things like this make a park look bad. Ride ops represent the park and Cedar Fair when working and this just saddens me. My friend who used to work at the park knew the lady working guest relations and told her about this to which she instantly called up the Diamondback supervisor. I really want Cedar Fair to do well as both my home parks are Cedar Fair parks, but stuff like this just gives me a sour taste in my mouth. We all let some things slip when we don't mean to, but that's pretty bad. Hopefully it'll just encourage others to act more professionally when working at the park.

Overall the day was good. Extremely hot though. We spent a few hours in the middle of the day at Boomerang Bay which was pretty crowded. It was nice to get out of the heat for a little bit though. Operations on most rides were really good as well. Diamondback was eating through people as was Beast. The only ride with a long line was Firehawk which is to be expected. We skipped it due to the heat and went on to Flight of Fear for some air conditioned waiting instead. Overall the park was looking really clean and the new pavers by Windseeker look really good. It's nice to see pavers instead of seas of concrete. It helps up the quality of the park. Hopefully Cedar Fair continues this trend whenever they redo areas of their parks. It looks so much better this way.

^ Did they not give you the row you requested? I have never seen them tell anyone who asks for the front that they couldn't wait for it. And yes, at the bottom of the first three drops it certainly has a very noticable rattle.

I hate their system for Diamondback. It's not like it's a low-capacity ride. And we couldn't get a front-seat ride because of it.

Speaking of Diamondback, has it always been rough? I've never been on such a rattling, shaky B&M.

Have you ridden Dominator lately?That thing was rattling pretty bad on my last trip & felt more like a vekoma than a B7M.

I visit KI many times per year, and I can say that Diamondback has had some 'rattling problems' since it's debut in 2009. On my first few rides on it, I noticed it rattled a little bit after the hammerhead turn. Since then its only gotten worse, and actually gotten more areas with rattling. It's not unbearable, but its certainly able to produce a headache after a few rides in a row!

^Coming out of the horseshoe was the worst I've ever felt on a Beemer. Is Behemoth or I232 the same way?

And yeah, we tried twice for the front and twice for the back, and we got 4, 11, 15, and 16 (the back). They never let us wait for the front car at all.

I can tell you that 232 had a tad bit of rattle on occasion last year, but Diamondback's was worse its opening year when I rode it.

Ah, hammerhead! That's what those turnarounds are called. Now I feel dumb for calling it a horseshoe!

I'm curious about Behemoth, because I've never felt such extreme rattling on a B&M hyper with the older trains. We were watching the wheels and wheel housings while riding Diamondback, and the entire thing was shaking. So I'm not sure what happened with the new trains (or at least Diamondbacks), but I hope they figure it out before they commit to these new trains (which they basically have).

Ah, hammerhead! That's what those turnarounds are called. Now I feel dumb for calling it a horseshoe!

THIS is a real hammerhead...

From Screamscape:

2012 - New Coaster - Rumor - (6/15/11) While I don’t have a lot of information just yet, an early rumor going around claims that Kings Island may have another steel coaster in the works for 2012. The park’s last new coaster was Diamondback, which opened back in 2009 which followed Firehawk in 2007 and Backlot Stunt Coaster in 2005. So historically speaking, the park is about due for a new one. With a fairly well rounded collection however, it’s hard to pin-point just what the park may be looking to add, so stay tuned.

Although I have no idea what the rumors are saying, a full sized inverted coaster is definitely something missing from their lineup. The rest of the park's lineup is pretty good, but some higher quality steel coasters would be a very welcomed addition in my book.

(6/16/11) While I don’t know exactly what may be involved in the rumored “fixing” of Son of Beast for 2012, I’m told that whatever takes place will be the ride’s last shot. If it doesn’t work, we can expect to see Son of Beast demolished to may way for a new ride in the future.

Discuss.

^If that is true, it tells me that they probably aren't looking at a NTAG-esque revamp. Saying that what they are going to do is it's "last shot" points to another patch job of sorts. Retracking, maybe a tad bit of re-profiling, etc. If they were doing an iron horse treatment, they wouldn't be wondering about whether it will work or not.