TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beyond vertical drops

It seems like every park and their dog has a 95 or 97 degree drop coaster these days, and I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have yet to experience one.

But in a couple of weeks on my CP/KI trip I'll be riding Maverick. I suspect I'll really like it, but that 95 degree drop...I kind of like to know what I am getting into. So do any of you have any info on what Maverick (or Fahrenheit or any Eurofighter for that matter) feels like on the drop?

Is it just a quick burst of stomach feelings, like on Ghostrider or Boardwalk Bullet?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 95 degree drop on Maverick is great. It gives you the stomach feeling you get on Ghostrider. You should like Mavericks first drop along with the rest of Maverick.

Airtime on beyond-vertical drops is just amazing.

I'd assume Ghostrider and BB's drop are MUCH less intense in comparison. For instance, no matter where you sit on Maverick or Fahrenheit, you will experience ejector air on the first drop! On those other coasters, you may get a quick burst of air only by sitting in the back car.

Have fun!

Funny how everyone RAVES about the airtime on vertical drops, yet I found more airtime on the first drop of Millenium Force, and even Behemoth, then either Top Thrill Dragster or Maverick.

In fact, I'd say they have different sensations. On a normal drop you get that regular airtime feeling where you're tossed up out of your seat and hanging on for dear life. In a vertical drop (or beyond vertical) it seems more like a drop tower, except facing the ground. Feels like the world is getting dropped out from under you and you feel more weightless than anything else.

I wouldn't describe the sensation created by Maverick's first drop "air time." You basically fall out of your seat and get swooped up by the train as it pulls out of the drop. An awesome feeling, but I wouldn't call it air-time--at least in the traditional sense.

Funny how everyone RAVES about the airtime on vertical drops, yet I found more airtime on the first drop of Millenium Force, and even Behemoth, then either Top Thrill Dragster or Maverick.

In fact, I'd say they have different sensations. On a normal drop you get that regular airtime feeling where you're tossed up out of your seat and hanging on for dear life. In a vertical drop (or beyond vertical) it seems more like a drop tower, except facing the ground. Feels like the world is getting dropped out from under you and you feel more weightless than anything else.

Both Kingda Ka and TTD offer little airtime. But I don't think they are considered beyond vertical, since they are 90 degrees, unless I am mistaken. Beyond vertical is extremely fun, but sucks when it is the only good part of the ride...Farhenheit.....

Yeah the drops on Euro-Fighters are so tight that you do get the crazy ejector. Not so much on the big drop on Mystery Mine that is more like a drop tower type or air but the air on the little vertical drop off the trestle is AMAZING! Talk about ejector in that back row!

You can definitely tell they are beyond vertical. They offer a sick moment of ejector airtime. It's an awesome feeling and everyone should experience it.

On a drop like Kingda Ka there is not much airtime on the drop unless your in the back. In the last row I got ejector air all the way down! Also, I really didn't notice a HUGE difference in airtime on Storm Runner and Fahrenheit in the last row. Fahrenheit was just a little bit more intense, but not by much.

The first time I rode Maverick I definitely got the "HOLY SH**" ejector air, mostly because I had no idea what to expect. Since then, it's still been a great drop, but just not as surprising (of course, what is just as surprising on rerides?). Back row is much more intense, though front row is fun for watching the track literally disappear for a second.