TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The unwritten rules of attending a theme/amusement park

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let your kid climb all over the railings in the queuing area. It makes me nervous that they're going to fall and hurt themselves.

Don't get on a water ride first thing. You'll be sopping wet and uncomfortable all day.

Don't wear shorty-shorts that are so short they could be mistaken for bikini bottoms. You're in a family environment, not a sorority party.

If you are in a group and you get on a ride, don't lead all the members in your party into singing a stupid song while on the ride. Last time I was down at Walt Disney World, a big group of teenage girls was singing "Lean On Me" all throughout the ride on Splash Mountain and it got really annoying.

If the park has a costumed mascot, don't be a d*ck to it. (Don't kick them in the crotch/knee, don't punch them, etc.)

On that note: Please stop casually and constantly flipping-birds at your friends in a family-oriented park, especially in/near family and kids areas. If you want to acknowledge that you can communicate with a friend or significant other that is currently on a ride, simply smile and wave.

Don't let your kid climb all over the railings in the queuing area. It makes me nervous that they're going to fall and hurt themselves.

Don't wear shorty-shorts that are so short they could be mistaken for bikini bottoms. You're in a family environment, not a sorority party.

You understand these are everyday rules that are meant to be broken? Just go to high school

^

Well, they might just think you're weird if you reride too much. That's why I said take occasional breaks.

I don't think it would be a problem. It's not like ride ops haven't seen enthusiasts before. If a coaster is good, I think ride ops would be happy if someone is marathoning the ride. But it would be really weird for Goudurix's, SFOG Ninja's and SFSt.L Ninja's ride op to see someone riding again and again. Plus, if the park rule didn't mention re-riding multiple times is not allowed, we can re-ride as much as we want as long as we don't ask for special treatment like the weirdo on Xcelerator.

In general, recognize the difference between a bad day at a park and a bad park. If you aren't sure which you've experienced, give yourself time to emotionally settle down so that you can accurately attribute the cause of your dissatisfaction. Whether on the Internet or someone storming into Customer Service, I can't stand hearing complains like, "rained all day, too many people, I had to walk too far to my car, so the park is terrible." What logic!

Kids: Don't harshly scream "HEY! GUYS!! HEY!!! GUYS!!!! GUYS!!!!!" just to flag down a few friends you recognize from school. Same goes for the Stewie Griffin, "MOM! HEY MOM!!!" Instead of being a one-child factory of noise pollution, just walk over to the people you want to speak with, or at least call them by using their real names!

^

Well, they might just think you're weird if you reride too much. That's why I said take occasional breaks.

I could care less what some 17 year old ride OP thinks of me. Without me, he would be a taco technician. That said, I have not marathoned a coaster since I was 14, but if these old bones would let me I would.

I agree, I really don't care what the ride operators think - I paid the money to get into the park / ride the coasters so I'm allowed to go through the queue and ride my favorite coaster as many times as I want in a day. East Coast Bash 2011, thirteen times on Lightning Racer. Phall Phunfest 2011 (from the time I got there to the time I left), twenty times on Phoenix. Summer 2013 at Waldameer, thirteen times on Ravine Flyer II.

^

I could care less what some 17 year old ride OP thinks of me. Without me, he would be a taco technician. That said, I have not marathoned a coaster since I was 14, but if these old bones would let me I would.

My old bones let me, and I do! Cycles of 9 or 10 at a time at least. 9x Skyrush this summer, 10x Diamondback a couple years ago, last year was Griffon... when the feeling hits us (and the line is short) it's go time. Never on an Arrow nowadays though

I agree, I really don't care what the ride operators think - I paid the money to get into the park / ride the coasters so I'm allowed to go through the queue and ride my favorite coaster as many times as I want in a day. East Coast Bash 2011, thirteen times on Lightning Racer. Phall Phunfest 2011 (from the time I got there to the time I left), twenty times on Phoenix. Summer 2013 at Waldameer, thirteen times on Ravine Flyer II.

Beat 68 times on Bizarro. I was bored one Wednesday and had a Platinum FlashPass.

^

Who cares what ride ops think? If I have the opportunity to marathon a coaster with no line, I'll be more than happy to. I've marathoned i305, Anaconda (ten years ago but never today ), Loch Ness Monster, Alpengeist and Kumba to the point I lost count on how many times I rode it.

Wow, I never meant to turn this into a debate over whether or not constant marathoning is acceptable. It's just my opinion to take occasional breaks, but if you want to keep on marathoning, I don't really have a problem with it.

Another one: If a ride is closed or broken down, don't throw a fit in front of everyone. Yes, it can be disappointing if it's a ride you've really been looking forward to, but try not to look immature in front of complete strangers.

Wasn't trying to turn it into a debate, I just don't think there's anything wrong with marathoning a ride regardless what the ride ops think. Hell, I've seen some of the GP marathon rides before.

Another one: If a ride is closed or broken down, don't throw a fit in front of everyone. Yes, it can be disappointing if it's a ride you've really been looking forward to, but try not to look immature in front of complete strangers.

This is a good one. I can't tell you how many times I've overheard guests complain to the ride ops that they can't get a ride fixed and that they're not doing their jobs correctly. Ride ops aren't ride mechanics.

This is a tip for kids that are going to ride their first major coaster.....

Don't be a hero, ride a coaster that's comfortable for you, even if it's a family mine train coaster.

No... it'd be better if we put them on a 500 foot drop tower or 100 inversion roller coaster as their first major ride

This is a tip for kids that are going to ride their first major coaster.....

Don't be a hero, ride a coaster that's comfortable for you, even if it's a family mine train coaster.

No... it'd be better if we put them on a 500 foot drop tower or 100 inversion roller coaster as their first major ride

And then they'll be scarred for life and will forever have reluctance to go on a drop tower......Like I was....

thanks, Dominator at Dorney.

Another one: if you are a diminutive young gangbanger who feels that he has something to prove, do not glare at the dude and his girlfriend in the Flash Pass line, shout "WHAT!? WHAT!?" at them, and throw up gang signs before concluding with a terse "Thought so. Punk-ass bitch" when they turn away. When you find yourself standing right next to them several minutes later without any of your buddies around and notice that he is significantly larger and more heavily built than you, you will feel tremendously foolish and he won't be able to keep himself from chuckling at your ridiculous little display.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are waiting in line and someone in front of you accidentally holds up the line for a few seconds (didn't see it moving), there's no reason to make a big deal out of it. You won't be getting on the ride any faster or slower.