TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The unwritten rules of attending a theme/amusement park

If you're polite about an issue at a park, usually it will get resolved. Example: SFOG has these tents filled with the Coke freestyle machines. One place was very limited on flavor options, seeing as a lot of the flavors had run out completely (being poor SF services and stuff), and the guy in front of me at the machine was outraged. He tried to cause a scene, and just got blank stares from the employees. I asked the employees if it was possible that they had some more flavor cartridges in stock, and suggested they just put all the working ones into a single machine, instead of having 2 that only have some of the flavors working. They said it was a good idea and in about 2 minutes, they had enough flavors to fill an entire machine. What a concept, being nice will actually get you stuff! As for the angry guy, he must have been a Pepsi fan.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add on to the post above:

Don't blame a park for something out that's of their control. For example: I was at Cedar Point when the water main broke and witnessed multiple people harassing park employees, like the park purposely broke the water main themselves. I mean, the park gave out free bottles of water, full refunds, and comp tickets, yet people still acted like total jerks.

Here's one: Try to ride major coasters in the front AND back!

I can't tell you how many times I've heard stuff like... "I didn't think Phoenix was that good..." "Where did you ride it?" "Back Seat"

IMO, if you really are a true coaster enthusaist, you should "know where to ride..."

--Robb

I experienced that at Six Flags Fiesta Texas on Iron Rattler. We rode in the front car, not realizing that it stopped at the top of the lift. Being used to Texas Giant, we were disappointed with it. It seemed too slow and short. Then it hit us. Duh! Ride in the front for scenery and in the back for speed. Especially with the steep incline of this coaster. So next time was in the back and it was a much better experience and we were very happy with that coaster.

While some of the points brought up in this thread are great, it's important to remember not to take your day at the park too seriously. Expecting everyone at the park to act like enthusiasts is unreasonable. People should always have common courtesy no matter where they are, but if it's just an issue that's caused by guests being unfamiliar with the ride or the park or something of that nature then that's totally fine. Just relax and have fun.

Well, well, well -

Other People Exist - remember this and everyone gets along fine

Walking backwards is never a really good decision - especially in a theme park

Spitting shows a lack of class

Making out in public shows a lack of class - holding hands and hugging is, however, acceptable.

If you bounce your basketball to show how cool you are - people around you probably think you are a douchebag

Well, well, well -

Other People Exist - remember this and everyone gets along fine

Walking backwards is never a really good decision - especially in a theme park

Spitting shows a lack of class

Making out in public shows a lack of class - holding hands and hugging is, however, acceptable.

If you bounce your basketball to show how cool you are - people around you probably think you are a douchebag

And this is one of the many reasons why you're among the greatest humans ever.

dt

Here's a rule that every enthusiast and DLAP needs to remember:

If you hear the GP spouting off inaccurate information about a ride, do NOT interrupt their conversation and get all nerdy on them. It makes us all look bad.

If you hear the GP spouting off inaccurate information about a ride, do NOT interrupt their conversation and get all nerdy on them. It makes us all look bad.

Especially if they are not a GP and they just weren't informed properly. If someone says that Cobra at La Ronde is a B&M, PLEASE for the love of God don't cause a scene by going "NO IT'S AN INTAMIN GET IT RIGHT!"

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what is a DLAP?

• 1 month later...

-If you're by yourself, ask if you can possibly fill an empty seat on a coaster train. It shortens the wait for others, and it makes the train heavier, meaning slightly better rides.

-Don't freak out if someone in front of you in line doesn't immediately move with the rest of the line. Unless you're very close to the station, it probably won't slow down your wait time at all.

-If you wear a theme park shirt to a park, don't wear one for the park you're at because it makes you look nerdy.

-If you wear a theme park shirt to a park, don't wear one for the park you're at because it makes you look nerdy.

This right here. Also applies to concerts, do not dig up your old Motley Crue shirt to wear to the Motley Crue show. Worse yet is when a band member wears their own band's shirt on stage...

^^Unless you wear a SFMM shirt to CP or vice versa. Be prepared to be harassed by fanboys.

I wore a SFGAm shirt to KI once and was snarked by a girl filling our souvenir cups

I wore a Six Flags shirt at Kentucky Kingdom.

This is based on my experience at Flying Turns at Knoebels:

Don't judge a ride by its line. I hear so many people whine about coasters being "not worth it" because it just happened to be a busy day at the park. You're going to get lines especially at new or popular rides. Deal with it.

Don't pig out and then go on a thrill ride or coaster. This is a recipe for disaster.

If you have a crying or tantrum throwing child, parents please remove them from the line until they calm down. The last thing we want to hear is the kid screaming bloody murder.

Do place any tickets and electronic devices in sandwich bags especially on water rides.

Do get a park map and study it before hitting the rides to get a sense of the best ways to travel.

Do not stop in front of cars and turn and stare at them like a deer in the headlights.

Do not sprint through crowded areas, particularly if you're apparently blind.

Oh, this one should be obvious anywhere? Guess again. At Lake Compounce yesterday, had a teenage girl sprint into me full speed in front of Pink's - slammed into me and sent the plastic tray I was bringing back to the trash area flying through the air...where, of all targets, it hits a 6-7 year old girl right in the face. The girl that ran into me stops for just long enough to see what happened, and runs off again without a word.

Fortunately the younger girl wasn't hurt, and apparently thought it was the funniest thing ever. The runner's complete lack of concern for anyone else was unbelievable though.

Edited by Rai Fox

-If you are a group of teenaged girls, do NOT shriek incessantly for the entire ride. You will make people want to hurt you very quickly.

-If you are a white trash mom in a tattered Ozzfest shirt, do not scream at your poorly-behaved kids to "quit actin' like a bunch of ****in' babies or I ain't gonna take you nowhere no more". If this fails to dissuade them, do NOT grab the most unruly of the bunch by the back of the shirt and whack him across the face unless you want to get security called.

-If you wish to project a "bad mother****er" image, do NOT go on at length about how "yo, dis mutha****a ain't **** yo, real ***gas ain't fear nothin' my ***ga, you knowmsayin'?" in line only to scream "OH MAH GAW, OH MAH GAW, DIS **** AIN'T NO JOKE ***GA" for the entire duration of the ride once you're actually on it. It is distinctly at odds with what you're trying to evoke.

-If your child is too far below the minimum height for it to even be remotely debatable, do NOT drunkenly threaten the poor kid holding the marker. Once again, security will be called and you will look like a waste of flesh.

-Yes, that dude may have been cutting in line, but despite what your Tapout shirt and Bruins snapback may make you think, aggressively confronting the dude in front of all his buddies is a bad, bad idea; while security will be there to bail you out of your own bad decisions for now, they will not be there to keep said dude and his buddies from hunting you down later on and jumping you in the parking lot. You (a pudgy, out-of-shape wannabe bro) will NOT come out on top in a confrontation with them (six fairly large and reasonably well-built dudes).

This is all stuff that I've seen at SFNE. No one from that area should be surprised by any of this.

I'm positive this has already been said here, but: Do not congregate with your massive group in front of the entrance or at the immediate exit to a ride or attraction. Blocking people from coming in and leaving is a big no-no.