TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Worlds of Fun

So I FINALLY got to go to WOF. We left yesterday at about 9 a.m. Arrived at the park at about noon.

We got admission and meal tickets which I recommend purchasing if you are just visiting the park once or twice. For less than the admission price, you get admission PLUS a GREAT all-you-can-eat barbecue buffet. $30.

Our first ride was Spinning Dragons. The last time I visited WOF, Orient Express was still standing, and yes, I rode it. But I have heard not the best of reviews of SD. We waited about 20-25 minutes. Lines did get shorter though. This is my first Gerstlauer spinner. The only other spinning coaster I have been on is Crazy Mouse at WWW. But I must say, this ride was FUN!!! It had great forces and airtime! I loved it! I also liked how close you get to the track while waiting in the quene. And it had some good theming.

Next ride was Patriot. This is the ride that I have heard very mixed reviews. I have heard that it sucks monkey balls, and also that it kicks ass. We waited about 35 minutes. They were only running one train. Stupid CF. But when we got to the front they FINALLY added the second one. It was neat watching the transfer track in action. We rode in the front. And of course the view in the front is best, but OMG this ride was INSANE!!! Our vision was blurry a lot of the ride because it is VERY forceful. The first drop was amazing, and the loop was GREAT. It takes the last inversion (wing-over) very fast. Don't bring eyeglasses on this ride though. Mine kept slipping off. I had to hold onto them. It sucked. But overall, this is an amazing ride. Definitely in my top ten (only out of 44 though lol)

Timber Wolf -- They retracked this thing? Ya right! And of course, one train. And this is a long ride! Very, very rough. However, it had a lot of speed and loads of airtime all over. Me and my mom both agreed that if it was smooth, it would without a doubt be an amazing coaster. We watched my mom's friend ride the coaster while we waited by the exit (my mom and I rode first) and we could SEE him being tossed around.

I think we did Mamba after this. Not sure. But they originally had one train going. But added another later which in just two minutes the line which was stretched back to the entrance, had diminished just to the station. We rode in the back car, but not the very back seat. AMAZING first drop. It felt kind of like weak-ejector air, but insane floater air. You know? The hill following had airtime too. The helix, awesome. The brakes slow the ride down quite a bit though. And the bunny hops afterwards have minimal airtime. But fun, nonetheless.

Boomerang, the ride operators were great on this. They dispatched a train within a minute of riders getting off. We rode it twice, because it was walk-on. It gave me a headache. Not because it was rough, it was actually quite smooth, but the forces just were too much. And I thought Boomerang was Australian, not African. Right?

Construction -- The box/crate with the "animal" inside is at the front of the park, and it is padlocked, and there is a route guide on the front. It's always making some sort of growling noise too.

Staff -- Great. They were friendly, and I could see that they cared about their job. All the coasters had something the ride ops would do or say before the train left, and they didn't slack on it, they showed enthusiasm. Like Timber Wolf, they would howl. Mamba, they did this thing where they hit their knees or a shelf or something then put their fingers up and make a snake sound. Cool

Overall, I had a great day. I am very confused, however, as to why people bash WOF. I loved it! There was some slight stacking later in the day, but the rides were great, and so was the atmosphere! And I like how it's small, that way you don't have to walk a mile to get to the next ride.

What's that I see?

I feel sorry for Timber Wolf. Look at him ... He's so ... small. Poor guy. Oh well, he deserves it.

Patriot is a HUGE ride. It may not look like it from here, but when you get up close, you can just see how massive it is.

The park has a cool skyline!!!

You can get good shots of Patriot from the parking lot.

This drop is amazing!!! I like this shot, but I just wish the train was in it. I notice I never get good shots of the ride with the train, or I took the picture too late. Grr!

That's better!

Beautiful ride.

My camera wasn't really ready when I took this shot, but it would be cool if it was.

*Sigh* Where's a B&M Invert train when you need one?

Now it's time to go into the park...

But what's this?

It was growling. I honestly don't know what type of animal makes that growl, but it was very deep. It might have been a Tiger?

It's padlocked. I hope that it is a mean animal instead of hyping it up to be some scary thing and it comes out being a sparkling fluffy bunny.

I don't know what this means. Anyone know?

Here is the admission gates. (This picture is from the exiting side. Sorry!)

Entrance

I think WOF has a nice entrance area. I especially like the islands of trees.

This is where we will be eating our lunch!

Our first coaster! I've never been on this before

The drop is actually quite fun.

And it takes this hill pretty fast. Airtime? Yes.

Two coasters on their lift hills. Who will make it to the top first?

*Sigh*

SD's first drop. Sexy.

I really like how WOF made paths very close to the track.

This fountain was cool. It had dragons around it. You can see if you look closely.

The ride doesn't spin as much you would think.

LIFT HILL!!!

Earlier in the day, the ride operators did great. These ride ops, they weren't bad, just not as fast as the others. However, they did show enthusiasm and weren't cranky or rude, etc. Good job!

Geek. If you are studying this picture, you are a geek.

SD is turning ... WHITE?!?! It wouldn't be bad, seems how three coasters at WOF are red, and one orange.

The brakes stop fast. But an upwards helix ... YUM!

I found this interesting. The supports aren't pinned to the ground, or bolted (w/e).

I didn't realize he had his phone out until I had taken the picture.

Time for ...

Patriot!!!

Yes, this is Patriot. Yes, here is airtime. Yes, here is a station. Yes, here is your wasted time back from reading that dumb caption.

Did I mention this ride is MASSIVE?

Brakes. Whoop-dee-freakin-doo.

These next couple of pictures are where I either took the picture too soon, or too late.

Too soon.

Too late.

Too late ... again.

Too hot for you to handle.

Damn wheel covers ... You lookin fine! You want some fries with that shake?

"A pizza hut, a pizza hut, kentucky fried chicken and a pizza hut."

Stacked all day.

The immelman is pretty small, but very forceful.

This picture was an accident! Haha.

RANDOM COW

I heard this thing got retracked! Can't wait to ride!

Quene

Mamba ... THROUGH THE TREES!!!

Noted! At least CF tells you their rides suck

The only cell phone I saw today. However, he was on his phone INSTEAD of doing his job. He would put his thumb up to the operator while he was on his phone.

Hey look! It's Wild West World!

Looks like Etheredge still hangs around!

Train shot. *Sigh* Caption writing is sure fun.

I think the roof needs a little work

Here is the construction!

Quite smooth, actually.

Mamba! Probably my favorite ride here.

It sat here until the other train had reached the block brake.

GREAT first drop.

Now for some random park pictures!

So, overall, great day! The temperature was nice, but it was very humid. I think that WOF is a very nice place, and has a very good selection of rides.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yeah!

You told me about this trip! Plus I told you!! I told you!!

Patriot was intense!!

Your pictures are great!

I'll teach you how to get good shots of moving trains too.Haha.

I didnt know you took that much.

You should've went on the detonator.Oh well.

I found this interesting. The supports aren't pinned to the ground, or bolted (w/e).

They actually do that about eight inches down. I was curious when I first saw it at SFNE, but the supports are almost cup-shaped to begin with, the supports bolted on the bottom, then the foundations are filled in after the entire structure is standing. I'll try to dig up some photos when I get home.

Yay! Thank you for liking Worlds of Fun.

I hope you rode Patriot in the back. If you thought it was intense in the front, you'd love it in the back.

I think I end up saying this in every Worlds of Fun thread on this site: Timber Wolf honestly is not that bad. It has been ten times worse. It's running really well this year. I'll admit that the helix is completely pointless, but other than that, it's a perfectly good ride. Boomering is way rougher.

EDIT: About the crate - supposedly that sound is a leopard.

The map basically just means that the "animal" inside comes from the Ivory Coast.

Stay tuned on that. The announcement should be August 16th.

^ Yeah it might be sign for what the new ride or some what is gonna be. Like a leopard themed ride? Plus the construction area is in africa. Plus the map on the box is from africa. So uh; im guessing it might be set in the africa area of the park.

I dont know for sure. Its just a guess.

A nice Phot TR from my home park. Love it! That box is either a clue to the new GCI woodie we are getting next year, or it could be a clue for the 2 new haunted houses we are getting this year. Thanks for the contruction pics! If you didnt notice, there is alot of constuction under Boomerang too! I think its the buildings for the haunts...what do you think?

I hope you rode Patriot in the back. If you thought it was intense in the front, you'd love it in the back.

I think I end up saying this in every Worlds of Fun thread on this site: Timber Wolf honestly is not that bad. It has been ten times worse. It's running really well this year. I'll admit that the helix is completely pointless, but other than that, it's a perfectly good ride. Boomering is way rougher

I rode Patriot in the front (I think twice. Maybe once. IDK) and also the second row, and the back. Front was the best overall ride experience.

And even though Timber Wolf was still rough, it WAS better than when I rode it six years ago, but it was still too rough to really enjoy. If this ride didn't have airtime, then I would say PTS!!! I'm really hoping that the new attraction next year is a GCI, that way we can eliminate the "All wooden coasters are rough" stereotype I hear every time I discuss coasters with someone. And yes, that helix is very pointless. It slows the ride down quite a bit. Ugh.

And Boomerang was oddly smooth!

Thank you for all your comments!

^And IDK why. I'm sorry

The ghost town area is off on it's own and can only be seen while riding the train.

Patriot in the back is my fav as well. A recent ride up front caused be to go blurry at the bottom of the drop and that's never happened before. Something seems different this year.

I ride TW every time I visit the park and I don't find it rough at all. I don't love the ride because there's a couple of slow moving sections but the handful of air hills makes it worth the short wait it usually has.

They actually do that about eight inches down. I was curious when I first saw it at SFNE, but the supports are almost cup-shaped to begin with, the supports bolted on the bottom, then the foundations are filled in after the entire structure is standing. I'll try to dig up some photos when I get home.

The technical term/description is "pocket foundations". This is the Gerstlauer's preferred method. As mentioned above, it basically allows the columns to be adusted further even after they have been placed in the footings (they are held in place with wood bracing until they are filled with concrete).

Off the top of my head, I do not know of any other steel coaster manufacturers that use the pocket foundation as their norm.

-Mark

I think I end up saying this in every Worlds of Fun thread on this site: Timber Wolf honestly is not that bad. It has been ten times worse. It's running really well this year. I'll admit that the helix is completely pointless, but other than that, it's a perfectly good ride. Boomering is way rougher.

EDIT: About the crate - supposedly that sound is a leopard.

The map basically just means that the "animal" inside comes from the Ivory Coast.

Stay tuned on that. The announcement should be August 16th.

Wasn't a similar box delivered to KI when SOB was under construction?

^ Yeah it might be sign for what the new ride or some what is gonna be. Like a leopard themed ride? Plus the construction area is in africa. Plus the map on the box is from africa. So uh; im guessing it might be set in the africa area of the park.

That's the general consensus right now, yes. And it will be a GCI.

No Cyclone Sam's Cloudpoofer 2000?

How could I forget Cyclone Sam's Cloudpoofer 2000? That ride is GREAT!!! The ride itself was a lot of fun, and lots of airtime, and it always felt like we were going to hit the ceiling.

Here is the only picture I have, and it's of the quene.

I find CSC2K interesting because you just see a building, and you can't see the ride until you are boarding. And while waiting in line, you hear everyone screaming, but you have NO idea what's going on inside. I liked all the lights and pictures. It was a great ride!

Thanks to everyone for all the comments!

Hopefully I can upload my Lakeside Photo: TR soon.