TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Six Flags New Orleans July 2008

As we were leaving New Orleans we pulled off to check out Six Flags New Orlean's entrance drive and I've gotta say, it was very eerie.

Hasn't been touched since August 2005.

It still says "Six Flags Dr.".

The signs along the entrance drive are still very readable, despite the waterline on them.

Bugs sure has been through the weather...

I'm surprised Six Flags didn't try to salvage the boomerang, but most of their parks already have one so I guess I can understand.

So has Batman...

They don't want anybody getting in here!

MegaZeph still looks like an awesome ride.

Hopefully we'll see it operating again someday.

Thanks for reading!

My Katrina tribute documentary over a year in the making premiers on Thursday! For more information, visit www.katrina.coaster101.com

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SFI can't relocate the Boomerang or any other coaster left in that park.. with the exception of Jester. All of the other rides were bought by Jazzland before SFI was in the picture.

Their (SFIs) contract with the city bans them from touching/removing rides that they didn't install. If that rule weren't there, this would be as empty as Geauga Lake.

But SFI is doing work cleaning up the site right now. Their contract states that they have to do an extent of rehab work before they get out of the contract deals with NOLA, and with SSAI getting closer to taking over it looks like SFI is being very cooperative.

Regarding Mega Zeph.

I'm no expert on the decomposition of wood or salvaging wooden coasters. However, my experience in life tells me when wood sits underwater for an extended period of time, it is not good for the wood.

FYI, though not really applicable here, If the wood stayed entirely submerged the entire time it would be fine for the wood. It is the combination of the air and the water that causes bad things to happen. The same is actually true for steel as well.

Well Megazeph is not of the typical wooden coaster construction. All of the supports are made of steel. The tracking aspect of the coaster however would need to be replaced where ever it was submerged because that is made of wood.

Didn't Six Flags say they were going to move the S&S towers to another park? (If so, it could be the "iconic ride" coming to TGE)

^I was wondering that too, because those were put in before SFI took over, right?And they were rumored to be coming to TGE, But on the Legend City Adventure Park site it lists the Bayou Blaster as being one of the rides, but Sonic Slam isn't there, so who knows.

The towers were added when Ogden/Alfa Smart Parks built the park. They also added towers to Visionland when they were managing that park. If they did the same thing at Jazzland that they did at Visionland, then they leased the towers from S&S. When Southland Entertainment bought Visionland out of bankruptcy they had the option of buying 1 or both towers or let S&S reposess both. They chose to keep the Space Shot tower and S&S took back the Turbo Drop. Assuming Jazzland leased them too, Six Flags probably faced the same decision when they took over (buy 1 or both towers and send them back to S&S). If they ponied up the cash to keep them, I would assume that would be the one ride that they could keep (that they did not add in 2003), but you know what they say when you assume...