TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

XBOX 360 or PS3

I have a Wii I love it but I'm looking to play more hardcore games, I have never been a huge fan on sony or microsoft, but I want something other then Wii. I like the Blu-Ray player of sony, but almost all the games on PS3 are on 360, unsure of which system, to buy, I don't care about price or anything?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's just because I have one, but a lot of great hardcore games come out for only the 360, and I haven't seen that many greart games to come out especially for the PS3.

I have not had any problems with the 360, but I've only had it since March. But,, my friend has had his since it came out and no problems at all, and if there is one Microsoft will probably fix it.

Just my opinion.

Ok, I have both

I would recomend the 360

It has better games, more of them,and more that are already discounted, you know, cheap

If you like RPG's it is ruling the consoles this gen

It has a much better online community, PS3 is free, but 360 $5 a month is totally worth it

It comes with a three year warranty for RROD

The Ps3 is more reliable, but I have had my 360 since july of '06 and have no issues

Also with regard to Blu-Ray, it still has one more hurtle to go

It has to beat regular DVD, and prove to people who don't care that they HAVE to upgrade

Oh and Blu-rays are still to expensive, I still don't own one, I bought an HD-DVD player when it was in its death throws as an upscaling DVD player, and have some HD-DVD's, really its a little better than regular DVD, but not really enough for the average consumer, expecially with a good upconvert DVD player

OH and the 20GB model is on sale for 299.99, while supplies last

Hardcore, and online gaming = 360.

Gears 2 this fall, Halo Series, most other games are multi platform.

Also probably this fall as MS has announce for the new dashboards (ripping off the Wii and the Mii characters) will allow multi game downloading into the systems hard drive for fast load and quick selection. This ways you can have 3 of your game discs on the hard drive. Looks sharp.

PS3 online play = free.

Xbl = 49.99 a year, or shop eBay for a cheap code. Really is a good network although and has the best structure. Also will actually ban people for doing things they should not.

I have played the PS3 and still I am not impressed. The 360 is a better unit for gaming and I much prefer the 360 Sega designed controller. If you want a blue ray player buy an actual Blue Ray player not the PS3 for it. The PS3 has a very slow drive for BR. Most the people I still know use it for movies more then gaming, and many went back to the 360 for one reason or another, but some are still die hard fans and some that where have even admitted they should have bought the 360.

Graphics wise flat even with the 360 tad better in rendering distance and details or objects which makes sense to the limited memory the PS3 has built in. (Compare games and compare backdrop and you will see what I mean, the PS3 has more of a fuzzy distance draw, where the 360 remains sharp and crisp, also the 360 lighting engine seems to have better code also.)

Everyone who brings up Red Ring, ok here’s the deal.

Early models the boards over heated in which caused the solder to actually crack/break. Really was a design issue as the board should not have been in that casement.

The newest versions on the market are on, I want to say are 3rd or 4th generation of the boards (Do not buy a used one) Not to mention the 3 year warranty so your fine.

Don’t!

*Do not plug the 360 into a power surge strip, the big box on the power cord already has one, and this will cause red rings, hardware load errors on boot. Plug the 360 directly into a wall outlet! (Honest) Surge strips cause most the red ring errors.

*Do no use ANY cooling units with the tower, again will cause hardware stress and red rings eventually. ((They do not cool the console!!))

* Lay the console flat, stand the console upright if possible, it operates much cooler. You really need ventilated space for it.

Everyone who brings up Red Ring, ok here’s the deal.

Early models the boards over heated in which caused the solder to actually crack/break. Really was a design issue as the board should not have been in that casement.

The newest versions on the market are on, I want to say are 3rd or 4th generation of the boards (Do not buy a used one) Not to mention the 3 year warranty so your fine.

Don’t!

*Do not plug the 360 into a power surge strip, the big box on the power cord already has one, and this will cause red rings, hardware load errors on boot. Plug the 360 directly into a wall outlet! (Honest) Surge strips cause most the red ring errors.

*Do no use ANY cooling units with the tower, again will cause hardware stress and red rings eventually. ((They do not cool the console!!))

* Lay the console flat, stand the console upright if possible, it operates much cooler. You really need ventilated space for it.

That "big box" isn't a surge strip, it's the power supply. I don't really buy that "360 must be plugged into the wall" bit. To me it just sounds like BS hype spit out by CSR agents who don't know anything.

The quality of the newer versions are definetly better. However I'm not willing to consider them fixed yet. I still see far too many reports of new systems breaking. One problem I've read about the new versions is that the GPU still over heats. The CPUs are the smaller chips, which run much cooler. But the system uses the CPU temps to control the cooling system. So the GPU is reported to over heat, but the cooling system doesn't do anything because the CPU temps look fine.

And yeah, you get the 3 year warranty, so it won't cost you anything if you have problems. Although dealing with MS' terrible CSRs is a giant pain in the ass. Both of my first repairs took nearly a month to get back to me. And it sucks dealing with CSRs who are just reading facts of a sheet of paper and don't know the first thing about the system.

So yes, the 360 is the better game system. But it's still somewhat of a crap shoot when it comes to quality.

^^^ Yes it has a surge suppression built in.

Wall jack. Yes this will and did stop red rings from appearing. My 360 was from 2006 and started RROD this year after I got GTA4 after about 2 - 5 min of play.

Talked to my brother in law who is an hardware engineer for a company and works on most the special projects. Long story short he pretty much knows his stuff with systems and hardware. Trust me on that one, not much I cannot do with a computers, hardware, etc. but when he talks I always listen. (Yes I thought it was BS also, never heard of that before, I did also verify it with Microsoft.)

But basically yes I did take his word, and it does and did fix it.

Months later and not one single time has the system even flinched verses multi times a week if not daily before.

Also most the people I have seen posting about the RROD that I have replied to with what I learned have had their problems go away in ref. to to wall socket and removing the cooling kits. So if your having RROD's at all try it and tell me it doesn't work.

Def. agree core runs way hot, actually about as hot as a PPB on a pinball machine. Thats why YOU really want to run them standing in the upright position, it dissipates the heat much better but also you must give them fluent air space. The case really needed a better cooling setup.

And yes the CSR's are a joke, almost as bad as Dell hardware support, ha.

As for reliability I know first hand the Wii also has issues. I bought 6 last year, kept 3 for me and as gifts, 3 hit eBay, 1 of my 3 was DOA. (In fairness I think they were even surprised.) It's going to happen, just some people blow things out of proportion, but again first Gen was def. trash, and most those who are directly effected are Game stop refurbs nowadays. PS3 I only know 1 person personally who had to send it in for repair.

Also most the people I have seen posting about the RROD that I have replied to with what I learned have had their problems go away in ref. to to wall socket and removing the cooling kits. So if your having RROD's at all try it and tell me it doesn't work.

Maybe for those that are having intermitent RRoDs. But my experience has been that when they RRoD, they just die fully. No trouble shooting will bring them back at that point. At least that's been my experience with my failures.

Def. agree core runs way hot, actually about as hot as a PPB on a pinball machine. Thats why YOU really want to run them standing in the upright position, it dissipates the heat much better but also you must give them fluent air space. The case really needed a better cooling setup.

My 1st died within a year sitting flat, my 2nd died in about 3/4 a year while standing up. My 3rd has yet to die, but I'm sure it will at some point.

Which brings up the major problem with that 3 year warranty. When you have a system die, they give you back a refrub. Meaning that you're getting back a flawed console which has been patched up, but the flaws still exist. So when you get that refub back your chances for failure go up dramatically.

That's why so many people are on their 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th consoles, etc. Because they keep getting these crappy refurbs back. Some people have them die right out of the box.

I love my PS3 and wouldn't get rid of it. A few months ago I felt differently though. Last year there were hardly any games out for the system. Motorstorm and Resistance were the top PS3 Exclusive games that were out.

The past half year I've gotten many games that I'm happy with on the PS3. I much prefer Warhawk to Halo.

The addition of Resistance 2, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, Little Big Planet, God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet And Clank: Quest For Booty, Tekken 6, Time Crisis 4, Twisted Metal, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and Playstation Home will bring a lot to this Console.

The ability to put DivX movies on a Portable HD and plug it into your PS3, then watch it is wonderful.

Blu-Ray won, HD-DVD is dead.

Blu-Ray plus video games and an all around media center that hasn't had any problems since November 2006!? I say yes.

thanks everybody for your input, I just picked up a 360, me and some friends played it for 30 min. and torr. I'm taking it back for a PS3, I have been playing video games my hole life and the menu system in the xbox is the wrost in the world, it is set up just crappy, does anybody know if the PS3 menu is the same way? Thanks again everybody

New menu is coming in Fall update for 360! Its alot more streamlined and simplified.

What games did you get? Get COD4!

Do you want to play lots of online? If so get a 360 much better online.....

If I only had money for one I would just have my 360 and not my PS3.

thanks everybody for your input, I just picked up a 360, me and some friends played it for 30 min. and torr. I'm taking it back for a PS3, I have been playing video games my hole life and the menu system in the xbox is the wrost in the world, it is set up just crappy, does anybody know if the PS3 menu is the same way? Thanks again everybody

You pick your poison there buddy

The 360's menu system, or "blades" have never really bothered my, but they are somewhat cumbersome, but are awesome compared to the PS3's

I do not like the PSP like interface, I am always hunting for settings and information that I want, its a bit frustrating.

In the end, look at the new interface for 360 coming in the fall, with the Mii copy avatars, courtesy of Rare.

Finally, When you say you ansd your friends played it fot 30 minutes an torr, I have no idea what you mean, did your 360 red ring?

Maybe for those that are having intermitent RRoDs. But my experience has been that when they RRoD, they just die fully. No trouble shooting will bring them back at that point. At least that's been my experience with my failures.

My 1st died within a year sitting flat, my 2nd died in about 3/4 a year while standing up. My 3rd has yet to die, but I'm sure it will at some point.

Which brings up the major problem with that 3 year warranty. When you have a system die, they give you back a refrub. Meaning that you're getting back a flawed console which has been patched up, but the flaws still exist. So when you get that refub back your chances for failure go up dramatically.

That's why so many people are on their 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th consoles, etc. Because they keep getting these crappy refurbs back. Some people have them die right out of the box.

My 360 is on every day, and is two years old, I live in New Mexico, and use evaporative cooling, so I do not have refrigerated air, so the house gets warm sometimes

I keep it upright, with a pelican fan stand that plugs into the usb port, I really think that has made a diffrence in keeping the system cool

I also keep it out in the open, next to the TV so it has plenty of air flow

If you love hardcore game, Wii is not the option to continue. ( I was expecting GTA IV to be on Wii but it will never happen). You should go for Either PS3 or Xbox360 for those hardcore games.

By the way....PC games is another option.

Heres the new Xbox 360 navigation releasing this fall via free download, system update.

New features are going to be pretty cool. I'm still digging the whole multi game download in hard drive without disc needed in the system for fast/quick play.

COD4, Halo3: xbl: raptor2002

xbox-360-new-dash-02.jpg.3ead3ec1ff066ced5743c7e77da212ba.jpg

If you plan on playing with your friends online, I would get a 360 no question. Most people have 360s..The online community is wayyy better IMO. I know you have to pay for it, but it's not that expensive for how fun it is. I never play single player games anymore..Playing with my friends is SO much funner.

• 2 weeks later...

I say PS3

I have Wii, 360, and PS3. I enjoy the PS3 alot more. I like the interface of PS3 alot more, the controller is better, free online is always a plus (Xboxlive is better I will admit, but I dont think its worth $50 ($60 in Canada) a year). Maybe my 360 is like broken or something but I can never play for more then 4 hours with it, it just freezes up.

*whoop. this thread has already been solved *