TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hershey TR 7/19/08

On Saturday me, my brother, my mom, my aunt and my cousin plan to take a one day/night trip to Hershey Park. We left Staten Island around 7:45 am and arrived at Hershey Pennsylvania around 10:30. We checked in at the Best Western, by the time we got to the park it was 11. I was expecting huge crowds since it was a Saturday in July, but the line situation was not too bad since most of the people were at the Boardwalk. None of the lines were over an hour except for Fahrenheit. I was excited for the park since the last time I went was 2005. Nothing has really changed except for the area around Midway America. The service was excellent and the park was clean like usual. We rode all the coasters we wanted to at least twice. This is why Hershey is one of my favorite parks. Now on to the coaster reviews. (Sorry for no pictures when we arrived at the park I realized I forgot my camera).

1.Fahrenheit 2x- Wow. This coaster was everything I expected to be. The first drop was amazing, the Norwegian loop was even better. The coaster Maintained good speed throughout and had some nice pops of airtime. The vertical lift was amazing. Themeing was somewhat non-existent but it’s hard to theme a ride around Temperature. I waited an hour and a half both times but it was well worth it. I rode once at night once during the day. Great ride but still Second Fiddle to Stormrunner IMO. 9.5/10

2.Stormrunner 3x- This ride never ceases to amaze me. It still packs a punch after 4 years. There is nothing not to like about this ride, speed, airtime and inversions there is nothing not to like. Also the wait was only 25 each time! The ride ops on this coaster Saturday were doing a fantastic job. Still the best in the park! 10/10

3.Wildcat 2x- Ouch, ouch, airtime, ouch, ouch. That is still the description of this ride. I sat in the back row both times. It was also a walk on both times. It is still a fun ride with some good air. 8/10

4.Lighting Racer 4x- Best 2 woodies in the park. This ride is just a buttload of fun. No matter what side you choose it’s always fun. I prefer Lighting. My record for the day was not good I went 1-3. Only winning once with Lighting. We rode each side twice. It is really awesome how this ride always has a little or no wait. The fun factor is just off the charts! 9/10

5.Great Bear 2x- This was the only ride I had beef with the entire day. The line was ridiculously long and it really shouldn’t have been. The operators straight out sucked. They were slow with unloading and dispatching, and on top of that they were stacking trains. Also the ride was not as good as I remembered after the Zero G-roll the ride just seems to meander around till the brake. Sure there is the flatspin but even that was just like blah. I was a little disappointed with the Bear Saturday. 8/10

6.Sooper Dooper Looper 3x- It was fun. That’s all I can really say. There is nothing special about it. It is not like the other Schwarzkoph’s I heard about. But it was still fun. 6/10

7.Comet 1x- This ride had the slowest moving line in the park so we only rode once. It was a fun old woodie with some nice pops of air. 7/10

8.Sidewinder 1x- Your run-of-the-mill Boomerang. It was almost a hassle to ride it. I don’t really enjoy them. 5/10

9.Wild Mouse 1x- From what I have heard this is supposedly one of the best Mouse’s around. It sure was. I nick named it the wild mouse of doom. You really fly around the turns. 7/10

Overall I had a great day at Hershey park, like every time I go !

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice TR!

Hershey is my favorite park. Fahrenheit is the best drop I've ever been on! I'm actually torn tho which is better...Stormrunner or Fahrenheit. I just went with two people who had never been before and they liked Fahrenheit way better. Stormrunner still one of my favorites tho. I also like Great Bear alot. Always gives a good ride imo. Lightning Racer is my favorite woodie not named El Toro.

Great TR!

Question: Are lines bad on Sunday at Hershey?

Not really. You might have to wait 1 or 2 hours on Fahrenheit but thats expected on a new coaster. The rest of the ride waits are between 15-30 minutes on the other coasters. Oh here's a hint. Don't go on Comet first, everyone goes there first. & Fahrenheit has a single rider line which gets you on the ride right away!

When I passed the park on the way home today it looked absolutly packed. But it was hot out so you may have to put the Boardwalk into consideration for the crowd. As for the question which is better Fahrenheit or Stormrunner, I like Stormrunner better it has more speed and the launch is just mind-blowing. My brother had never ridden either and he thought Fahrenhiet was better, just because the length and first drop.

If you can hit Hershey during the week it's the way to go. I always go mid week. On a hot day, Fahrenheit maxes out at a 20-30 min wait. On a cold day, it maxes out at say 45-60 mins during the week (depending on how many people are at the boardwalk).

Every coaster I rode with the exception of Fahrenheit was only a 1 or 2 train wait at the most, 2 Storm Runner walk ons.

Stormrunner's operators were just amazing Saturday, they were shipping people in and out of that ride like it was nobody's business. A different story for the Great Bear .

Agreed, Great Bear is always a pain in the a$$. I swear i was stuck on a train in the brake run for 5 mins just sitting there waiting for the staff to get people seated.

Same, every train that came back just sat on the brake run, with another train still in the station! I hate when operators stack trains. Also B&M's usally have good capacity but that day the lines was just slow and people were not filling rows. How many trains does the Great Bear have? Do they only have 2 trains?

Same, every train that came back just sat on the brake run, with another train still in the station! I hate when operators stack trains. Also B&M's usally have good capacity but that day the lines was just slow and people were not filling rows. How many trains does the Great Bear have? Do they only have 2 trains?

I'm pretty sure there's only two, since there's no MCBR hypothetically they can't do much with a third train other then stack one. And heck, the staff cant run two trains right!

Thats true. They can't run it with two trains. I was sitting on line thinking, I can load/unload this ride faster then them.

Great Bear, Bumper Cars, and The Claw are the only 3 rides in the whole park that I can complain about staff, which is really good and hard to find.

^Your right about the Claw, its terrible. When I was there it was through the 2nd switchback when i got in line and I swear it was about a 45 minute wait, after the cycle is over they let the thing stop spinning completely when most likely they could stop it just by grabbing it, maybe. The wait for the car to stop spinning is longer than the whole ride itself! Plus it took about 5 minutes to load, its terrible.

I also was not to thrilled about the Comet's wait time. It really was both the GP's fault and the Staff's fault. Once the people walked up the ramp they just stood in the way thinking they couldn't pick a row until the ride Op told them. Numerous times I heard the ride Op saying row 4 is empty can some please fill it in. Me and my brother would juts walk by people.

I also was not to thrilled about the Comet's wait time. It really was both the GP's fault and the Staff's fault. Once the people walked up the ramp they just stood in the way thinking they couldn't pick a row until the ride Op told them. Numerous times I heard the ride Op saying row 4 is empty can some please fill it in. Me and my brother would just walk by people.

I was there today and almost everything was a walk on. Except Great Bear. The operators were all teenagers that were goofing around. At one point, the main op, and another op were chatting away and forgot to move the sliding door for the cubbys, the train unloaded and it was chaos, people were just standing there, with blank stares and then the train started to load and the other passengers couldn't get to the cubbys because that other people were wondering where there stuff was.

Fahrenheits ops got a little slow towards closing. Plus people arguing over the front. Saw about 3 yelling matches between the person who assigns seats and the guests...in 30 minutes of waiting.

Wildcat was also unusually smooth as well. And as for Comet's line, it moved pretty quick for me. Boardwalk was packed to capacity as usual. Everything had lines. Lines for the Waterworks, lines for slides, lines for tubes for the lines with slides. All I know is Hershey made a good move in building that water park, it really brings in the crowds.

Great bear's loading used to be much quicker. It's only in the past few years that it's gotten so slow. They started double and even triple checking restraints. I don't know if that's a directive from the park, B&M or who. But whatever it is, it has slowed the dispatch times considerably.

Great bear's loading used to be much quicker. It's only in the past few years that it's gotten so slow. They started double and even triple checking restraints. I don't know if that's a directive from the park, B&M or who. But whatever it is, it has slowed the dispatch times considerably.

I've heard rumors that the one train had a problem with a seat's seatbelt unlatching mid-ride. One of my friends also claimed that this happened to him 3-4 years ago. Apparently the seatbelt that's there as a safety mechanism came undone somewhere around the Immelmen. Maybe this has happened on more occasions and the park has to double-triple check because of that.

While I agree that GB's operations weren't the quickest, they weren't that bad either.

Only once did they double-check the restraints.

My only problem was that they were only running 1 train on Wednesday (even though it wasn't too crowded), and they didn't even fill up the rows. All B&M's should have single rider lines...