TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventuredome Discussion Thread

Question: How busy has Adventuredome been as of late? I haven't been there since 2001 and may head down this weekend to get the El Loco cred (it will be along my route). But, I will only have a few hours there at maximum, since it will be part of a very long drive. I'd also love to ride Canyon Blaster again -- it was my first coaster with inversions, and I definitely need that dose of nostalgia. It would also be nice to get on at least a few flats -- NebulaZ, Inverter, Chaos, Disk-O, and Sling Shot would be ideal, but really just the former 3 are what's important. Do you all think this is realistic to do in a short timeframe? Even if there's only time to do a few rides, I think it would be $40 well spent, but it would also be helpful to have a gauge of how busy it might be. 

If this trip is successful, I'm definitely going to to pop in to the Vegas parks more often whenever I'm driving through. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, Edgar Allan Pooh said:

Question: How busy has Adventuredome been as of late? I haven't been there since 2001 and may head down this weekend to get the El Loco cred (it will be along my route). But, I will only have a few hours there at maximum, since it will be part of a very long drive. I'd also love to ride Canyon Blaster again -- it was my first coaster with inversions, and I definitely need that dose of nostalgia. It would also be nice to get on at least a few flats -- NebulaZ, Inverter, Chaos, Disk-O, and Sling Shot would be ideal, but really just the former 3 are what's important. Do you all think this is realistic to do in a short timeframe? Even if there's only time to do a few rides, I think it would be $40 well spent, but it would also be helpful to have a gauge of how busy it might be. 

If this trip is successful, I'm definitely going to to pop in to the Vegas parks more often whenever I'm driving through. 

Did you end up visiting? I am curious to hear about your experience with crowds.

I plan on visiting the Friday of MLK weekend. Since it is an indoor park, I am a bit more concerned with COVID than usual, particularly if it is crowded. It has been several years since I have visited.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Adventuredome last Friday (1/15) for the first time in several years. I believe I was last here in November 2015 or 2016. I had a nice time, mostly because those of us living out west are quite deprived of theme parks at the moment!

Crowds were a little heavy near the front of the park, but the back of the park was deserted. Lines for El Loco and Canyon Blaster were nonexistent. I felt safe COVID-wise as long as I avoided the front of the park.

In addition to the coasters, I also rode the Chaos (since I know it is one of the last of its kind, if not the last). It was a lot of fun and not nearly as disorienting as I was expecting. I also rode the new Nebula Z, which was also fun, but definitely more on the family side. That ride is much more about the visuals. I also quickly hopped on the drop tower (which has quite the gut-punch of a launch) while I was briefly at the front of the park. I was able to ride these flat rides along with 5 rides on El Loco and 4 on Canyon Blaster in under two hours.

As I mentioned, I had already visited the park and ridden both coasters a handful of years ago, but I had honestly forgotten what I thought of them. It was nice to ride them again and gain a fresh opinion. El Loco is very weird (and quite rough in a few spots), but the excessive hang time and comfortable lap bars make up for it. Canyon Blaster was a bit rougher than I remember, perhaps because the train was mostly empty and therefore rattled a lot, but it is INTENSE. Those loops and corkscrews made me grey-out a bit, not to mention the insane head choppers going around that final helix. Right now I give the slight edge to El Loco for its unique layout and nice trains. But Canyon Blaster is also exceptional as far as Arrow loopers go. They really make quite the one-two punch. A third non-inverting coaster could work well at the park, but dang, I have no clue where they would put it.

I am by no means a photographer, but I did snap a few photos just to make reading this more interesting and more than just a wall of text.

C62BEEC6-05B0-4E27-A665-8FF688DB0FA8.jpeg

3BEA6A37-E57A-4CC6-A36E-4AFD2AB19EAC.jpeg

C6939C79-6465-404B-82A9-FA72D635B792.jpeg

• Like 10

While I haven't been on it in a while, Canyon Blaster really is a pretty great Arrow ride.  Hopefully it's not too rough by now.

I'm curious to know how many Chaos rides do still remain in the US.  Does Adventuredome still have an Inverter?

Surprised you found El Loco rough. I have only ridden Steel Hawg and I found it glass smooth. I am scared to ride a Chaos after the one at my home park broke off its axis. Lastly I really wanna try a chance super shot since I believe there are only 2 in north America and the one at Family Kingdom I hear never runs 

Chaos needs just the right weight distribution per car for it to be a decent ride. The empty cars flip like crazy, but put some weight in them and it is just some rocking back and forth for the most part if you watch closely.

It's more fun when the fuse goes out for the button that is used to manually rotate the tub (sorry I don't know the technical terms for any of these things, to no surprise to anyone ever (Martin's) Fantasy Island at the time didn't have actual SOP's to read or study lol.) for those rare times a tub was flipped when the ride stopped and "locked" into place you had to use the button to swing it back into normal position. Until you find out the button didn't work and a guest gets trapped upside down for 15 min. Good times.

Also: what the hell is this restraints automatically raising when the ride is done, technology? You had to go to each car and lock each cage and manually unlock the cage when the ride was done. Pssh. Adventure Dome has it easy.

Eh, it’s not that great. It only works when it feels like it.

Last time we rode it our car never unlocked and we were on the back side of the ride so they never noticed. They loaded the ride again. They came by and saw that we were locked but I guess they just figured that we just knew how to pull the outer bar down and lock it ourselves (which we do since we did it on the last cycle). We tried to do the right thing and tell them but they checked fast and ignored us so we got a free second ride.

On the next cycle it unlocked automatically, otherwise we might have been there all night.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grsupercity said:

Surprised you found El Loco rough. I have only ridden Steel Hawg and I found it glass smooth. I am scared to ride a Chaos after the one at my home park broke off its axis. Lastly I really wanna try a chance super shot since I believe there are only 2 in north America and the one at Family Kingdom I hear never runs 

I should clarify that the only part of El Loco I found rough was the dive loop/stall and subsequent pullout - the one mid-ride, before the second brake run. It has some funky profiling that introduces laterals while being suspended upside down, and the pullout also veers to the left and shakes a bit.

It appears that the similar element on Steel Hawg is perfectly straight and in-line, hence why I imagine it is smoother. Outside of that one moment on El Loco, the ride is very smooth and fun. The cars track well. There is just weird profiling on that dive loop, which I'm sure is due to the space constraints they had to design around.

I suppose "rough" was a poor choice of word. I guess "funky profiling that shakes you around while hanging upside down in a hard metal seat and restraint" is more accurate! Still a fun ride!

• Haha 1

I always seem to miss out on trying a Chaos. The one at Cedar Point had closed down by the time I could finally go there, and I never got to try the one in the U.K. because it poured with rain when I was at Southport.

I feel like the myth of the Chaos is so much more hyped than reality since the rides are rarely open from tearing themselves apart.  It’s an OK flat ride...much better flats out there.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, Rusty Nail said:

Does anyone know if Chaos came from MGM Grand Adventures? It opened a few months after the closure of the park.

It is not, the one that was at MGM Grand Adventures was a traveling fair model, while the one at Adventuredome is a permanent park model. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2021 at 12:00 PM, thrillseeker4552 said:

Did you end up visiting? I am curious to hear about your experience with crowds.

I plan on visiting the Friday of MLK weekend. Since it is an indoor park, I am a bit more concerned with COVID than usual, particularly if it is crowded. It has been several years since I have visited.

Sorry for not replying to this way earlier! I haven't logged on here in a hot minute. 

I'm glad you were able to take the trip down there! I ended up not being able to go when I was hoping to, primarily because we left too late in the morning to fit it in. It's hard to fit a park trip in the middle of an all-day drive. I'm hoping to go at some point this year, though. I really have my heart set on that El Loco credit. 

• Like 1

^Oh, you're good dude! I would definitely recommend going if you get the chance. El Loco is, well, crazy as its name suggests.

And for what it's worth, I barely spent 2 hours in the park and had more than enough time to do whatever I wanted. Perhaps you would want to spend longer, but I think spending a whole day here would be difficult. Individual ride tickets seem to be a thing of the past, so stay as long as you wish to justify the $40 wristband!

What all is included in your $40 wristband?  I was looking online at their list of rides and attractions and they list a lot of things that seem like they might be an extra charge (VR room, laser challenge, etc).  Are these things included?

20 minutes ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

If the website lists them as an extra charge, then I would trust that. I had no desire to do those attractions (especially with COVID), I was only interested in the rides and coasters, so I can't tell you for sure.

It doesn't say whether they would be an extra charge or not, it just seems like they might be.  Usually things like that are.  I'll just give them a call and see.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone!

So I am making a return trip to SFMM this weekend, and heading out Saturday. Frontier kindly eliminated my direct afternoon flight to Burbank and gave me the option of either cancelling entirely or accepting a new itinerary with a 4-hour layover in Vegas 🙃. So, looks like I'm going to Vegas, and figured I might as well use it to do some extra coaster riding, as I haven't been yet. Definitely understand that with the time it takes to get through the airport after I land, likely 15-20min Uber rides each way, and allotting two hours to go back through LAS security, I'd MAX have about one hour at the park just after it opens at 10am.

I'd like to get two rides each on Canyon Blaster & El Loco, as well as a ride on Chaos if it's open, since I'd have to pay for the $40 all-day wristband. My questions are, does anyone think it's feasible to trek through the airport, over there, & back on such a tight schedule? Think I'd have any problems getting an Uber each way? Anyone know what the park's operations and open rides are like that early on a Saturday? 

I think you'll be pushing it.  LAS is a huge airport, so depending on what terminal you're flying through it could be anywhere from 15-45 minutes to get outside.  You're also vastly underestimating the time it'll take via Uber/Lyft (getting one shouldn't be a problem, but traffic will).  Sorry, I think it's doable, but paying $40 for one hour of rides (MAYBE one hour) doesn't seem like a sensible plan to me.  If your first flight is delayed even a little bit your plan goes to hell.

• Like 2