TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventuredome Discussion Thread

We are thinking of naming it Twitter Blaster Revenge or Tweet Destroyer. Which one do you think your age group would prefer? We are also considering a technology theme. Essentially blasting through the tubes and canyons of the internet like the matrix. We think will be a big hit with our target demographics. Do you have any input?

• 2 years later...

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2012/dec/11/water-park-planned-circus-circus/

MGM Resorts International is considering building a water park at Circus Circus, according to a proposal unanimously approved by the Winchester Town Advisory Board on Tuesday.

If the company follows through with the plan — and that's a big if — the Strip attraction would be the third new water park planned for Las Vegas.

MGM is asking the county for permission to reclassify almost 23 acres of land near the KOA Campground at Circus Circus from RV, commercial and hotel zoning to zoning for a recreational facility. MGM hopes to build a 5.5-acre water park there, on the north side of Circus Circus Drive, east of Industrial Road.

Moreno and Associates planning consultant Greg Borgel presented a blueprint for the park at the board meeting. Borgel is representing MGM during the plan’s approval process. He said the water park would likely be built if the board and County Commission approve it, but he did not have a cost estimate for the project. “This is real,” Borgel said. “It’s something (MGM) wants to do to upgrade the property.”

Plans filed with the board call for a children's pool, a river channel that likely will become a lazy river and two water slides surrounded by more than 200 trees. Cabanas, two snack bars and a retail center also are outlined in the proposal.

The facility would be located between the Circus Circus Manor motel and the Skyrise Hotel Tower, north of the Adventuredome and near the campground. No changes are proposed for those buildings.

Plans say the slides will be 65 and 90 feet tall. A 21-foot play structure is proposed for the children's pool. MGM's plans did not outline a proposed time table for the Circus Circus water park, but Borgel said similar projects take about 18 months to complete.

“This is a very exciting project,” board member Judith Perez said during the presentation. “It’s something that needs to happen.”

Although the plans filed with the town board describe the recreational facility as a water park, an MGM spokeswoman described it more as a series of pools. "We are conducting our due diligence by pursuing tentative approvals for a zoning change for recreational purposes," MGM Spokeswoman Yvette Monet said. "However, to use the term ‘water park’ at this point to describe any developments on that acreage would be premature, as the evaluative process itself is still in very preliminary stages. We are always researching new ideas to enhance resort amenities for our guests. At such time as we have details to share, we will announce them in an appropriate manner."

The plan will next be presented to the Clark County Commission on Jan. 9 for approval. Borgel felt confident it would be passed. “(I don’t foresee) any issues,” Borgel said. “It’s an amenity the community should like, so I don’t predict any complications.”

It has been eight years since Las Vegans slid down water slides on the Strip. The Wet ‘n Wild Water Park on Las Vegas Boulevard closed in 2004.

But developers this year announced plans to build two different water parks on opposite sides of town.

A Wet ‘n’ Wild, planned by an Australian entertainment company, is headed to the southern end of Summerlin, while Cowabunga Bay Las Vegas is coming to Henderson near the Galleria at Sunset mall. Developers hope to open both by Memorial Day.

Edited by larrygator

I say save the money and upgrade the S#!t out of the pile of crap they call a hotel. Adventuredome deserves better than that dump.

That might be good advice considering...

So this is what, the third waterpark that's been announced for Vegas in the past few months?

Ah, the Circus Circus... can't say I enjoyed staying there (dated, smelly), but the Adventuredome is pretty awesome. I think they could do a waterpark right...ish.

They actually did upgrade the rooms...and the place is still a dump. Just a dump with flatscreen TV's in some of the rooms now!

The steakhouse is surprisingly awesome though!

Well since i've never been to Vegas before, i can't really say much about this hotel. But i can say this: No way i'm was going to stay their, for me it's just looked like old rubble.

Maybe a totally rebuild of the property would be better, with an all new Adventure Dome too ofcourse!

And across the street, the stripper club is getting a pool too! Maybe they're working together...

Vegas Chatter: Sapphire Stipper Club Day Pool

OMG, you guys. Guess what we saw when we drove behind Circus Circus over the weekend?

A sign and construction for Sapphire Pool. Yes, we're really getting our stripper pool, after all. Government officials first approved the idea back in November of 2011, but an expected opening of May 2012 came and went leaving us to wonder if plans were sunk.

But, after our sighting this Sunday, a visit to Sapphire's website found a new opening date of March 2013. And, reveals that the pool could be a great place for hot air balloon watching. If you can't wait that long, Sapphire Pool's Facebook page touted an opening of December 13 just last week.

Sapphire is sinking $3.5 mil into the pool which will accommodate more than 700 whenever it does open. A tall wall prevented us from peeking inside, but guests should expect to find a main pool, two hot tubs, a bar-slash-restaurant, cabanas, daybeds and loungers.

That's all well and good, you say, but is it really worth the cab fare? Well, Sapphire will solve that Vegas dilemma for you by offering "complimentary transportation to the pool from the Strip hotels." Just don't forget your singles.

Which one would you rather go to? Where the kids pee in the pool or this?

I somehow don't see this panning out for Circus Circus. As I see it Circus Circus has two very serious problems right now as a hotel. The first being that the attempt to make Vegas a family friendly place back in the 90's has ended and the strip is moving back towards (and has been for 10 years) a place for adults. The second issue is the hotels location. With Stardust and Frontier gone, there is a huge gap between Wynn and Circus Circus. The last time I stepped foot in Circus Circus was when my wife (then girlfriend) and I got an email for a $20 a night room in one of the towers and decided on a "throw stuff in the car" last minute trip. The hotel frankly sucked and I felt a little cheated on my $20.

I would be curious to see what the bottom line looks like for Circus Circus and if it is really high enough to justify a project of this size.

Sounds more like they want to build something to compete with Mandalay Bay than to build an actual water park. I don't think all two of their slides plan on competing with the other two water park projects for the area.

LOL! I don't think Mandalay Bay has to worry about the 'competition'!!!

I don't think Circus Circus could attempt to compete with an attraction where some homeless guy filled a kiddie pool with a garden hose. I can't believe that hotel is still there. I'd call it a dump, but that would be an insult to all the random dumps with tire fires burning out of control at the moment.

dt

Sounds more like they want to build something to compete with Mandalay Bay than to build an actual water park. I don't think all two of their slides plan on competing with the other two water park projects for the area.

LOL! I don't think Mandalay Bay has to worry about the 'competition'!!!

Even if there was a competition to be had, both Mandalay Bay and Circus Circus are owned by the same company, MGM.

I remember going to Circus Circus when I was like ten and it still looks the same. While I love me some nostalgia, the fact that the games are the same and the carpet is the same (except more stained) leads me to believe that upgrades are sorely needed.

Oh yeah...Adventuredome was a leaking dump as well. We just walked through the entire place and laughed at how craptacular it was!