TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

To pick the correct park...

I was just wondering, if you could go to one park any park, but it had to be in the US what would it be?

I'm asking this because I might have this chance, to go anywere for the best coasters. Of course the first things that pop into mind are Magic mountain,Ceder point. Now I'm not saying I don't want to go there, trust me I do its just if I can pick 1 park what should it be? Thanks.

Nothing in florida.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ The problem with your request is that I don't believe it could be found in any "one" park.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to go to a park with a LOT of coasters, or do you want to go to a park that has 1 really good one?

If you are looking for quantity, you really can't beat Cedar Point, Magic Mountain, or Great Adventure.

But if you want the "best coaster" then I'd look at the top ten list of Mitch Hawker's wood and steel poll and decide which one interests you the most and then go there.

That's the best advice I can give!

--Robb

Don't choose Kings Island. The coasters there are too painful. I could think of a dozen parks in the US I'd go to before KI.

SFMM, Cedar Point, and SFGADV would be neck and neck.

Do you have a preference to a certain type of coaster? Steel or wood?

SFMM is loaded with intense steel loopers.

CP has less inversions, but smoother faster rides.

SFGADV has a good balance, and also is the only one of the three that has a kick ass wooden coster. CP and SFMM have no good wooden coasters.

Yeah, if you want quantity, Cedar Point, SFGA or SFMM is the way to go. However, there are also plenty of small parks that offer some great coasters and a great atmosphere, such as Knoebel's, Kennywood, Holiday World, Lake Compounce, etc. Like Robb said, there isn't any one amusement park that has it all.

I hope that helped clear things up a little bit.

Not sure what his exact plans might be but based on highly ranked coasters you might want to look at Hershey and Busch Gardens Europe. Kings Dominon is only about an hour or so from BGE and between those two parks you could get several top 50 steel roller coasters in--Apollo's, Alpengeist, Griffon, Volcano, and Dominator. KD's woodies aren't phenomenal but Rebel Yell and Grizzly can still provide some good rides. Hershey has a good colletction of top steel and wood. Hershey and BGE would probably provide a more quality overall park experience.

Nothing in florida.

LOL. *high five*

I've been to CP and MM quite a bit, so the park I want to go to the most is Six Flags Great Adventure.

Followed by any park that has a Superman Ride of Steel. But if you haven't been to CP or MM, for coasters, I'd suggest going to those.

I would NOT reccomend Kings Island. IMO there really isn't a "good" coaster in the mix.

Seriously if you're looking for a large collection of rides with quantity over quality and you only have one park to choose, then I'd look into the following:

Great Adventure

Cedar Point

Magic Mountain

Six Flags Great America

Six Flags Over Georgia

Hersheypark

Personally I would put Great Adventure at the top of the list because I think that El Toro is better than anything at the rest of the parks.

The other problem is that with you living in Florida you have quite a great collection of coasters in your backyard. Dragons, Kumba, Montu, SheiKra, etc all rank pretty highly to me.

What you are missing is a really good woodie and outside of El Toro you're not going to find that at many parks that have a "large selection and wide variety of coasters." Although this is why I added Hershey. There you will find a pretty good balance of steel and wood, but nothing that seems to break into anyone's top ten list.

--Robb

Agreed about KI...it would be about 40th on my list...

For coasters I would say Cedar Point

Six Flags Great Adventure

Great America

Over Georgia

New England

Magic Mountain

Holiday World

both Busch Gardens

Islands of Adventure

EDIT: forgot Hersheypark

IMO all of them will deliver adequately in the "roller coaster thrills" department

Man... everyone's beating down Kings Island. Anyways, even though I love Cedar Point and know Magic Mountain is great, I'd have to agree with Robb. Six Flags Great America should be your park. Overall I think it has the greatest variety of awesome coasters. They have one of the greatest, if not the best, wooden coasters (El Toro); they have the tallest and fastest coaster (Kingda Ka), they've got a B&M flyer (Superman: Ultimate Flight), one of the greatest B&M hypers around (Nitro), they've got a great new ride (The Dark Knight), and basically just a bunch of other fun coasters.

I was going to go to Great Adventure but not enough money so I'm going to Kings Island.

Hope I helped.

-Kyle-

I agree Six Flags Great Adventure is the best option, it's got a great variety of coasters and some of them are excellent plus Flash passes if you are willing to spend extra money and it is easily accessible from a major hub city (New York) and Philadelphia as well, if you are flying.

I haven't been to SFGAdv since 1992, so I can't speak for that park. I have been to SFMM and CP multiple times and love them both. Like others have said, what do you want in your coaster selection? Do you want tons of inversions and lots of positive Gs? If so, go to the Mountain. However, the park has a dreadful lack of airtime. So, if it's airtime you crave, Cedar Point has an abundance of the negative Gs. Of course, SFMM has X2 (such a trip), but CP has MF (which I adore, my favorite coaster). So, long story short, it all depends on what you want in your coaster selection. In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either one. Have fun!

-Doug

If you are looking for a wide variety of coasters, then I really don't think you will find a better collection in the world (yep, I said it!) than what's at SFMM. They have just about every category covered:

-4th Dimension (and vertical drop for that matter)

-Invert

-Floorless

-Flyer

-Stand-Up

-Hyper

-Traditional mega looper

-Medium-sized traditional looper

-Suspended

-Inverted lift-shuttle

-Wooden (and racing)

-Mine Train

-Launched Shuttle

-Kiddie coaster

-Terrain coasters AND non-terrain coasters.

Not even CP or SFGAdv have that much variety in their coaster selections. So while the park does lack in the flat ride department at the moment, if coaster variety is what you are looking for then I really think SFMM is the way to go. I personally feel that many of their coasters rank near the top of their respective class class, at least as far as the U.S. is concerned. And to give credit for the improvements they've apparently been making, I visited the park for the first time this March and it was easily one of the best experiences I've had at a Six Flags park.

I would be going 2009 summer time. I really like what I hear about SFMM. I really do love wood rides, and to hear they don't have much, isn't the best thing I've heard. I'm always ready for any steel ride though.

Also if I would be going to SFMM how many days do you think I actually need for in-park time.

Alright, thanks everyone for the responses I'm going to do more reserch on the parks.

Edit: I think it basically comes to... X2 Or MF. At least for me, wow thats a hard decision.

how many days do you think I actually need for in-park time.

This tid bit of information is good to know. Do you have more than "one park day?" And if you are able to spend TWO days at one park, do you have that option to spend one day at TWO parks?

If you did have two days and you could spread it over two parks might I suggest a Six Flags Great Adveture + Hersheypark combo. Both parks are fairly close (about 2 1/2 hours) and would give you quite the amazing park weekend.

That's just my suggestion based on what your criteria seems to be.

--Robb

Robb, that really sounds like a good idea... I've always wanted to hit hershey, and to be honest I've never heard of Great adventure. I would prob have two days+ so I could defintly do the whole weekend thing. The 2/12 hour drive is also managable. Hmm a trip is being born *muah aha hah, caugh*

Lastly, any "famous" or notable rides at Great Adventure?

Robb, that really sounds like a good idea... I've always wanted to hit hershey, and to be honest I've never heard of Great adventure. I would prob have two days+ so I could defintly do the whole weekend thing. The 2/12 hour drive is also managable. Hmm a trip is being born *muah aha hah, caugh*

Lastly, any "famous" or notable rides at Great Adventure?

Well for starters have a look here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/page.php?pageid=35

Six Flags Great Adventure's most "notable" coasters are probably:

El Toro

Kingda Ka

Nitro

Medusa

Superman: Ultimate Flight

Batman: The Ride

And Hershey's most "Notable" are probably:

Storm Runner

Fahrenheiht

Lightning Racer

Wildcat

Yeah, Robb's dead on with that plan for 2 days! My only real knock I had against Great Adventure was the lack of flats, but with this plan you get coasters at both (with some being pretty amazing!), and a nice selection of flats at Hershey, if you'd like to ride some of those as well. El Toro alone is worth the trip, as that is one of the headlining coasters in the whole country. More parks here in the US need to hop on the Intamin Pre-fab woodie bandwagon!!