TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What do YOU think roller coasters will be like in 10 years?

We have record breaking heights, we have record breaking speeds, we have extreme airtime, we have extreme G-forces, in 2009 the...the ring racer rollercoaster [Look up Ring Racer on RCDB], there are the most extreme rides ever. El toro at six flags great adventure, X2 at magic mountain, and more.

BUT...What do you think these amazing thrills we call RollerCoasters will be like in ten years? Sketch, describe, anything. When do you think I will have a way to make topics without a bunch of flaws and bad wording? Just kidding. But post what you think!

Will they be gone? Will there be a prototype we could never think of? Will they turn into a completley different ride? Simply post what YOU think!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh wow, I'm the very first to reply to this! I'm so thrilled!!!

Look how far we've come in coasters. In the beginning, they were all "sit down in train cars and ride an out-and-backer wooden coasters. Now we got looping coasters, hyper-coasters, launch coasters, suspended coasters, inverted coasters, stand-ups, wild mouses, wild cats, and coasters that has everything except the kitchen sink.

Okay, how about this concept. Imagine an out and back coaster. After the lift (or it could be a launch), the train goes up and down until it reaches the halfway point and enters a station. As the track interchanges unto a new section of track behind the train, the train is released, but it is traveling backwards until it reaches a station to interchange the track and send the train (forward) back into the station. In other words, a roller coaster that travels forward first, and then later backwards on the second half of the ride. Another idea using this concept would be a double track in which one train starts forward and the other train starts backward. The two trains are dispatched until they reached the mid-station and the transfer track to changed their direction: the forward train is now traveling backwards and the backwards train is now traveling forward, and they stay that way all the way back to the station. Keep in mind that if you began the ride going forward, you'll end up in the backwards station and vice versa.

How about one more concept before I call it a night? Imagine the Wicked Twister, but instead of the twisted ends, you have two inversions on top of the station. The inverted train is launched, travels up and over the station, and flips over to be right side up until it flips once more to enter the station and gets launched again. A coaster like this wouldn't take much room and I'm surprised no one else thought of this.

I've always imagined this concept: It may sound improbable, but I'm sure some company (*cough*Intamin*cough*) could make it work. It would start out as a steel looper/hyper, perhaps launched, before reaching a MCBR. Upon dropping out of the MCBR, however, it changes to wooden coaster track with the layout of a GCI twister. Yeah, I know, it sounds crazy because wooden and steel coaster cars are very different from each other, but I think it could happen in the future.

I'm sure there is the technology and engineering to create big and tall coasters, but look at the last two record breakers - Dragster and Kingda Ka. Both rides resulted in all sorts of problems for the parks from a maintenance standpoint. There may be some record breaking "conventional" coasters, but many parks are trying to build more rides that are "fun".

We'll probably continue to have plenty of conventional rides, with Intamin, GCI, Gravity Group, B&M, and others out there

I think future coasters will be centered around Theme. For a while, I believe the rage for record breaking coasters (Excluding the oval track in Germany which some will consider the worlds' fastest "coaster") will cease, and things will move towards family fun, and lots of themeing.

I've always imagined this concept: It may sound improbable, but I'm sure some company (*cough*Intamin*cough*) could make it work. It would start out as a steel looper/hyper, perhaps launched, before reaching a MCBR. Upon dropping out of the MCBR, however, it changes to wooden coaster track with the layout of a GCI twister. Yeah, I know, it sounds crazy because wooden and steel coaster cars are very different from each other, but I think it could happen in the future.

Last edited by KPfreak519 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Maybe if they changed the rails/size of the rails/shape of the rails on the track it would probably work! Do you think you could possibly make a sketch of your idea? It's acctually pretty interesting.

What does it matter if the world is going to end in 4.5 years?

So you are asking what rides would be like in heaven, or in hell, or on the moon..

I'm suprised by how many people believe in this 2012 thing.

This is definitely an interesting thought to ponder. Just thinking back to how coasters have evolved throughout my childhood and into my early adulthood, the sky is the limit really, as these designers are constantly being more and more creative. It also makes me really wonder what the "typical park skyline" will be like in a few decades when my kids are (hopefully) in their riding prime. I think there will ALWAYS be wooden coasters, as that appeal is a constant, both among enthusiasts and the general public. I also feel that we haven't seen the highest coaster yet either. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone will break the 500-foot mark before too long. And crazy as it sounds, I think they will do it with a "traditional" coaster design as well. I know it would be ridiculously expensive, but I could see some park pulling the trigger on it if they want to make a big splash. Only thing I know for sure is that I'll be happily riding whatever comes our way for as long as my body will let me!

Yeah, I'm seeing the themed coaster atsrt to make its move. I think The Dark Knight, for as bad as you guys say it is (haven't ridden it) is the first step in modern theming of a roller coaster. Who knows, we may have rides like Kingda Ka going Dark ride on us with an intro story, and then "BOOM", the launch.

Heck, if my dreams of not only becoming a coaster designer, but owning my own company come through, we might see more themed coasters

Waterparks.

I see almost every single park being half water park, and Vekoma joining B&M and Intamin as the "elite" steel coaster designers.

More Steel Hawg rides

I think parks will not be building much more bigger or faster rides. Possibily a few new inversions over the next few years. I see theming coming into detail more, but not as much as some people are saying. Just more rides themed like Black Mamda and Nemesis Inferno emerging in parks.

Six Flags will be reduced to SFMM, SFGAM, and SFGADV in 10 years.

And there will be some company like Six Flags owning 20+ Waterparks.

That's what I think.

What does it matter if the world is going to end in 4.5 years?

So you are asking what rides would be like in heaven, or in hell, or on the moon..

Who says there won't be roller coasters in the new world?

Oh, and I agree with the waterpark comments. I have no doubt that PARC will become the new SF...except with Waterparks.

OMG. I've been confusing Village Roadshow with that granny show "Antique Roadshow". Don't ask me how I did that.

Back on subject......

In the future when someone asks, "what is a vertical loop" the reply will be, "what's a verticle loop"?

We most likely won't have the same inversions in the future.

-Tatum