TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Coastin' by the Ocean with Derek and Nicole

WHY is this considered fun?!?!

Nicole, those slides freakin' rock! Especially the really big ones! It's like having the slide ripped out from underneath you and safely dropping into a pool! I love those things.

This was an awesome TR though. It's really cool to see so much of Wildwood, Morey's Piers, and more of what they are like. Well done.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait Wait Wait...

You put on a USED JERSEY SHORE T-SHIRT?!?!?

And lived to tell the tale!?!?

I agree...thats just wrong...and NASTY...and when did they make you start wearing a t-shirt? I cannot believe it has been almost 9years since I moved from Wildwood to FL...

Nice to see the shot of the tram car, in front of my old workplace, Mariner's Arcade.

Speaking of dark rides.... I recently found out that Castle Dracula/Dungeon Boat Ride at Wildwood burned down a few years ago.... can anyone tell me what sits on that piece of land now?

A waterpark...

When I heard that the castle burnt down because of some punk kids...I was pretty pissed. This may have been cheesy, but I have a LOT of memories from that place.

I was pretty ticked off, as well. I used to spend summers at Wildwood and have many great memories of both of those attractions. It was one of those places that was so ridiculous and awful, it was great! When I was younger, I always wanted to work there. If anyone happens to go there sometime in the near future, could you either post or send me a picture of the water park that sits on that spot now? I'm just curious to see it.

Tremendous photo trip report, Derek and Nicole! Great read, awesome photos, and brought back great memories from last summer, when I visited both the beach and Morey's for the very first time! (much to my fiancee's shock, who had been going to Wildwood almost every summer since she was a kid)

I have to say that Morey's really impressed me, and the night we went there we had an absolute blast! That atmosphere there at night is truly incredible. I thought the coasters were decent enough, although I was bummed that a huge storm rolled in before we were able to hit the 3rd pier with Great White. Oh well, just more reasons to go back there, along with trying out the new SLC trains and maybe checking out a new shiny woodie in a year or so!!

Yay for Derek & Nicole PTRs!

I really enjoyed your guys' report! I hadn't even heard or seen pictures of this pier before. Looks like you guys had an awesome day going from park to park! I wish I had something like that here in Fresno...

-Ryan

Nicole.jpg.bf13558c8e69a745d02668467b8459c3.jpg

Also, Dumb Ryan Moment. I was reading through the TR, and saw this and thought "Man, that cutout looks A LOT like Nicole...Oh....Wait..."

Hey PaulArthur, the water park has been there for about 10 years now. Right now there is just a trampoline ride and something else, nothing elaborate.Go on youtube and look up the fire. NBC10 news has posted something about the fire from their archives on youtube about it. So sad that it burned to the ground. I used to love going in there as a kid. And the boat ride was awesome. WildWood has changed alot since the early 1990's. Most of the hotels and motels that used to be there are gone and condos have been put up in their place. It doesn't look the same as it used to. The boardwalk is still the same only cleaner now and so is the city of WildWood itself.

They expanded the waterpark more...Its now called Splash Zone.

On my last trip to Wildwood to visit family, I considered going, then decided against it, as it seemed smaller than the ones on the Morey's Piers.

Speaking of fires, I heard from the in-laws that there was a recent fire on Mariner's Landing, right behind the arcade. A lot of people are claiming "Jewish Lightning" on that one.

Another famous fire, was the fire at Sam's Pizza a few years back. I was happy to see they rebuilt, but I do miss the old Sam's.

^^I think that the Nichols family still owns the pier and land, but don't quote me on that. It was rumored that the Morey's organization wanted to be the pier from the Nichols family some time ago but I don't think that the deal went thru. Next time I go down I'll try and get more info for you. I have a home 5 minutes outside of North WildWood in Cape May Courthouse in Middleton Township,NJ.

I have a home 5 minutes outside of North WildWood in Cape May Courthouse in Middleton Township,NJ.

I sort of remember staying in that neighborhood once when a show I worked for stopped at Monmouth University. Very pretty area from what I remember.....

Awesome TR! My family went to Wildwood every summer up until I was 10 years old, and this TR totally brought me back. I haven't been there in a few years, and it's funny to see how there are some things that have changed so much, but some things are just how I remembered. I'll have to get down there before the end of the summer.

One of my favorite rides (which is no longer there) was the Jumbo Jet that stood in the spot where the Great Noreaster and those intertwined waterslides stand today. The Jumbo Jet had a huge elephant and Morey's Piers logo on top that you were always able to see from our hotel, and I would get SO excited when I'd see it from our balcony. The Jumbo Jet, Flyer, and Golden Nugget Mine (both located on what was, at the time, Hunt's Pier) were my first roller coasters.

The boardwalk still looks like a lot of fun, but I still miss the boardwalk from the 80s. Dracula's Castle, Golden Nugget, Pirate Ship, Log Flume (with the huge lumberjack, on Hunt's Pier), Keystone Cops, etc., etc.

Great TR though! I really enjoyed reading it!

Awesome TR Nicole! It's great to see a place that isn't often given the time of day in the coaster realm. It looked like you both had an excellent day.

And now, a rant!

I was going to try and get to the piers on my NY gig this year. F'ing writers strike mucked that all up. Stupid F'ing writers!

Rant over.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Guy "Proud member of the WGA Koepp." Koepp

...Speaking of fires, I heard from the in-laws that there was a recent fire on Mariner's Landing, right behind the arcade. A lot of people are claiming "Jewish Lightning" on that one...

Yep, it burned down the seal themed log flume and something else... bumper cars maybe? They spoke about it briefly and what they plan to do with the area.

DSCF3047.jpg.adde620238f6474569da1f602816eff9.jpg

There is a construction there presently.

Great TR. I've always been interested in this place and would love to go down there and check it out some time. Regarding Golden Nugget....I read somewhere (it was a while ago, no idea where) that the building has asbestos, which is probably the rehab they're talking about. I'd imagine the longer you wait for that, the more the price goes up. But I have no idea if that's true or not. It's a shame though as it looks like a pretty cool ride.

Again, awesome TR. Looks like a great place.

I still remember the long rumors to have it "moved" to another pier, but the cost would be to high, so it continues to rot in the salt air. The last time I got to ride this was when they opened it briefly during the early "Dinosaur Beach" days.

Hunts always was my favorite pier. The train, the log flume, The Flyer, the pirate ship. Its just a shame that such a wonderful pier is now nothing but go-karts.

^I remember those rumors to move it also. Hunt's was my favorite pier when I was a a kid too. The Golden Nugget and Flyer were my first 2 coasters. It really is sad how it went downhill. When I look at the state of the pier now, I remember how it was and what it could if the Morey's organization what put some money into it. Oh well, wishful thinking.