TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Vekoma's new train designs

I don't see why they would have widened the gauge for their tracks because of new trains.. they even have Generation #2 flying dutchman models that they created for the Stingray, but I'm sure you could slap em on Nighthawk or Firehawk or even the new Horsehawk hyper going into KI.

..though some of those cars do look too big for the MK-100 series.. if all fails, call Kumbak coasters and have them make you one?

And Tat, why are you posting on the SSAI forum right now? You just got served a ban-sandwich. Tsk.

Either way, YAYVEKOMA.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course it is! I mean, look how Intamin started; Revolution (pain), Flashback (pain) and Iron Wolf...... and now look at them; kick a$$ speed coasters and rocket coasters. This could well be a turn in the right direction for Vekoma. Their early rides (such as the notorious 'Corkscrew with Bayerncurve') clearly sucked, but they showed potential in the way they designed everything. Sure, transitions were bumpy and painful, but its still more advanced than Arrow's typical straight-line efforts, particularly when used at speed (Vekoma ONLY JUST wins out here). But their more modern rides (Motorbikes, LSM coasters) are proving that they are definitely improving with experience, and Vekoma could be a theme park ride major in 5-10 years. I see Vekoma now like alot of people saw the up-and-coming Intamin AG and Bolliger & Mabillard in the late 80's; mediocre rides, but good potential. I would like to see how these new ideas pan out.

Maybe I'm missing something but isnt Revolution a Schwarzkopf and Iron Wolf a B & M?

Revolution was designed by Schwarzkopf/Stengel for sure, but I've read it was built by Intamin. This would contradict RCDB, though. The track looks a lot like Intamin.

These new trains look like a step in the right direction for Vekoma.

Way to go Vekoma! It's about time Vekoma has stood up and take notice of the quality of their rides, and done something about it. When I heard of Great Nor Easter getting the Padded OTSR's I .

I don't think Vekoma would put in the money or effort to replace the trains on even some of their rides, though. Because Sadly they have to many rides in need of to much TLC. Just KI alone could use new trains for Invertigo, Firehawk, and Rugrats. Surprisingly though Rugrat's is in need of it most!

And for all you people who think Vekoma copied B&M, who cares? Let's see one person why doesn't enjoy a B&M seat? Why do you think Vekoma used the B&M style trains? The whole reason for the new trains:

QUALITY

Of course it is! I mean, look how Intamin started; Revolution (pain), Flashback (pain) and Iron Wolf...... and now look at them; kick a$$ speed coasters and rocket coasters. This could well be a turn in the right direction for Vekoma. Their early rides (such as the notorious 'Corkscrew with Bayerncurve') clearly sucked, but they showed potential in the way they designed everything. Sure, transitions were bumpy and painful, but its still more advanced than Arrow's typical straight-line efforts, particularly when used at speed (Vekoma ONLY JUST wins out here). But their more modern rides (Motorbikes, LSM coasters) are proving that they are definitely improving with experience, and Vekoma could be a theme park ride major in 5-10 years. I see Vekoma now like alot of people saw the up-and-coming Intamin AG and Bolliger & Mabillard in the late 80's; mediocre rides, but good potential. I would like to see how these new ideas pan out.

Maybe I'm missing something but isnt Revolution a Schwarzkopf and Iron Wolf a B & M?

Revolution was a Schwarzkopf, but Iron Wolf was an Intamin. Iron Wolf was designed by Walter and Claude and built before they left Intamin to found B&M.

And this seems like a step in the right direction for Vekoma. Their new OTSR design seems to be really great, and so does the new track system. Put them together with a redesigned suspension system and they just may have a chart topping coaster at some point.

...but Iron Wolf was an Intamin. Iron Wolf was designed by Walter and Claude and built before they left Intamin to found B&M.

Where are you getting your facts, son? I have never, anywhere, read that Iron Wolf was an Intamin designed by B&M. For one, from what I've read, B&M was founded in the late 80's and it wasn't Intamin they worked for, but Giovanola who subcontracted through Intamin. Secondly, even Six Flags lists the manufacturer of the ride as B&M and I'm sure they'd know better than anybody.

If you have a reliable source to back this up, then by all means, please share 'cause I'm curious.

...but Iron Wolf was an Intamin. Iron Wolf was designed by Walter and Claude and built before they left Intamin to found B&M.

Where are you getting your facts, son? I have never, anywhere, read that Iron Wolf was an Intamin designed by B&M. For one, from what I've read, B&M was founded in the late 80's and it wasn't Intamin they worked for, but Giovanola who subcontracted through Intamin. Secondly, even Six Flags lists the manufacturer of the ride as B&M and I'm sure they'd know better than anybody.

If you have a reliable source to back this up, then by all means, please share 'cause I'm curious.

Ugh. Again, I make an ass out of myself because I rely on research from 5 years ago. For some reason unless I constantly refresh myself on facts about anything, what I learned/read runs together and becomes useless. I seriously need to take a step back and go look up everything I used to.

Vekoma "Is now mildly embarrassed" Fan Boy

Vekoma's the little company that could Hopefully, it's just starting the hill to success and not on it's way to where Arrow is.

Vekoma is a already a trademark company, if you think about it. Anyone knows a Vekoma if you say Boomerang or (sometimes with a cring) SLC. They just haven't got the right engineers and ideas to put them up where they deserve. But, maybe with these new trains, they will get that credit. And I'm not too worried about a mega coaster by them. They're tracks ride a lot like Arrow's do (to me), and Magnum and Desperado are pretty decent.

That's ohh so true.

Remember,when Vekoma first started out making coasters they were using Arrow's track design/fabrication techniques & even buying trains from Arrow prior to designing their own back when they were only making boomerangs hence the reason why their early coasters basically rode just as bad as many Arrows.

Now they seem to be getting the picture that individually mounted bogies with spring loaded guide wheels are necessary to keep the ride smooth & they're also redesigning their track geometry to allow for better transitions resulting in smoother rides.Just give them a few years time & they'll be joining the ranks of B&M & Intamin soon enough.

...Sure their will be subtle differences, such as the OTSR on the the "Mega Coaster." ...

When Vekoma says "mega coaster," they aren't referring to a hyper-style coaster. "Mega" is the term that Vekoma gives to any of their major looping coasters, as you can see on their official site.

Well done Vekoma. I love it when the little guy looks like coming good. (I always used to root for the penguin, you know).

I like that they are now using sprung wheelsets, and also double safety wheels instead of just one. The company has likely been slowly building their capital over the years by selling the cheaper option, and now are in a position to make proper advances in their designs. Even if they are a bit familiar. Good for them.

...Sure their will be subtle differences, such as the OTSR on the the "Mega Coaster." ...

When Vekoma says "mega coaster," they aren't referring to a hyper-style coaster. "Mega" is the term that Vekoma gives to any of their major looping coasters, as you can see on their official site.

Thanks for pointing that out, it makes some more sense. Although it would be cool to see an actual hyper coaster, since they are now working together with Morgan Chance, maybe they're designing a new type together, who knows.

I'm not really sure why people keep thinking that these new designs will have the same problems as the old Vekomas. Every reason the old designs were roung has been eliminated. One-position wheels, individual bogies, track design, etc. have all been reworked. I mean, seriously, look at Expedition Everest. With the exception of the awkward lift engagements, that ride is just as smooth as any B&M or Intamin. And from what I've heard, all of the other new Vekomas are just like this. I'm pretty sure that with these new designs, Vekoma will be definitely be in the run for one of the best coaster designers.

On another note, in that article it mentions that an inverted coaster using that new, 4-across design, is in the works at an unknown park. Does anyone know where this may be going? Is it possible that the rumors of the tallest and longest inverted coaster for Chimelong Paradise could be true and it could be of this new design from Vekoma?

^^I know everyone "proved" that it was in reference to the dive coaster because it mentioned the vertical drop and whatnot, but what if the news company accidentally stumbled upon information about a new inverted coaster and thought it was actually information about the dive coaster and reported it. If you look at some of the information reported, it doesn't make any sense that it would be about the dive coaster. The statistics are all off.

I was not talking about track design but new trains on old track like the Great Nor'easter.

This isn't a Premier type issue , premier had everthing designed perfectly, the rides were just way to aggressive for OTSR's.

The SLC's for example are total crap to begin with from an engineering point of view, sure these new restraints make them better but they still suck.

If you want to hunt BUy a new dog, or in this case a completely new well designed ride.

Finally.

I first heard about their new track (a big-boy version of the family coaster track, so with the wheel thingies on the outside of the track) and new restraints back in 2002 or 2003.

We got the restraints in 2008 (Great Nor'Easter), but a big ride with the new track...perhaps in 2009.

Anyway, they have been improving in the design department and with these new vest-like restraints, the rides could actually become very comfortable.

Looks great.

• 1 month later...