TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The InBev/Busch Discussion Thread

Even PETA should know that setting free any animal born and raised in captivity is basically a death sentence for that animal. Sea World's animals have no experience in hunting for their own food and will starve if left to fend for themselves (but there are always exceptions to the rule, animals that run primarily on instinct, like sharks, would probably be ok).

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The shame about PETA is that any legitimate message about how man treats or mistreats animals is lost in their lamebrained stunts. In my opinion, PETA is a good example of a well-meaning organization that has been hijacked by its more extremist members.

I'm at a lost of words for this. I mean I'm for animal rights and safety like the next person but come on, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of other places where there are animals that need rescue. But Sea World? The animals at Sea World are well cared for. Instead of some PETA member wanting to dish out millions or billions to free the Sea World animals they really need to take a bigger look and see that that amount of money can help save animals more in need. I remember when I worked at our zoo and PETA got involved .

I'm all for animal rights and all but PETA just takes it too far sometimes.

If PETA were to succesfully pull this off, just think of how many people will think twice about what they do and what they stand for. There is much love for Sea World just like Disney. If an organization were to change or close one of their favrite parks (Sea World), it would spell nothing but trouble.

I really think PETA needs to back out of this one, I can see nothing but trouble ahead if something like this happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought this was an interesting read. According to this article, a federal lawsuit has been filed on Wednesday trying to block InBev from buying Anheuser-Busch claiming it violates antitrust laws and that it would create a monopoly in beer production.

The group filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday claiming Belgium-based InBev's $52 billion purchase of Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. would violate U.S. antitrust law if completed as planned in the coming months.

The suit, filed in Anheuser-Busch's hometown of St. Louis, does not seek financial damages but asks a judge to block the deal. The Department of Justice often reviews large acquisitions to determine if they are legal under U.S. law. But attorneys behind the lawsuit said they want to halt the deal regardless of the verdict in Washington.

The suit filed Tuesday challenges the deal's legality on different grounds. It says the merged brewery, to be called Anheuser-Busch InBev, would have a monopoly over beer production in the United States. The lawsuit argues that combining two of the world's biggest breweries will reduce competition.

"If InBev is allowed to purchase Anheuser-Busch, there no longer would be any significant major potential competitor to influence pricing and marketing practices in the United States." the suit says.

Link: http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=AP&Date=20080910&ID=9126938&Symbol=BUD

• 3 weeks later...

An update about the purchase..

Looks like it will be called Anheuser-Busch InBev and the appointment of August Busch IV as a director of the company. Still needs aproval of the US stock holders..

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2008/09/29/daily1.html

Shareholders of Belgian InBev voted Monday to approve the $52 billion takeover of Anheuser-Busch, paving the way to create the world’s largest brewer.

Shareholders appoved the name change of InBev to Anheuser-Busch InBev and the appointment of August Busch IV as a director of the company. They also authorized the board to proceed with the capital increase required to finance $9.8 billion of the transaction, which is expected to close by the end of the year.

“This vote demonstrates the confidence our shareholders have in the strategic and financial benefits of the combination with Anheuser-Busch,” said Carlos Brito, InBev CEO, in a statement. “We are very pleased to complete this important milestone.”

The transaction remains subject to approval by A-B shareholders and regulatory clearance but “in light of the limited overlap” between InBev and Anheuser-Busch businesses, InBev said it does not anticipate any significant regulatory issues.

A-B has set a record date of Oct. 3 for its shareholders, meaning that investors who own A-B stock as of Oct. 3 may vote on the takeover. The date of the A-B shareholders’ vote is expected to be set soon.

St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. (NYSE: BUD), through its Anheuser-Busch Inc. subsidiary, is the leading domestic brewer, holding a 48.5 percent share of U.S. beer sales. The company, which accepted a $52 billion takeover offer from Belgian InBev, brews the world’s largest-selling beers, Budweiser and Bud Light. Anheuser-Busch also owns a 50 percent share in Grupo Modelo, Mexico’s leading brewer, and a 27 percent share in China brewer Tsingtao, whose namesake beer brand is the country’s best-selling premium beer.

An update about the purchase..

Looks like it will be called Anheuser-Busch InBev and the appointment of August Busch IV as a director of the company. Still needs aproval of the US stock holders..

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2008/09/29/daily1.html

Shareholders of Belgian InBev voted Monday to approve the $52 billion takeover of Anheuser-Busch, paving the way to create the world’s largest brewer.

Shareholders appoved the name change of InBev to Anheuser-Busch InBev and the appointment of August Busch IV as a director of the company. They also authorized the board to proceed with the capital increase required to finance $9.8 billion of the transaction, which is expected to close by the end of the year.

“This vote demonstrates the confidence our shareholders have in the strategic and financial benefits of the combination with Anheuser-Busch,” said Carlos Brito, InBev CEO, in a statement. “We are very pleased to complete this important milestone.”

The transaction remains subject to approval by A-B shareholders and regulatory clearance but “in light of the limited overlap” between InBev and Anheuser-Busch businesses, InBev said it does not anticipate any significant regulatory issues.

A-B has set a record date of Oct. 3 for its shareholders, meaning that investors who own A-B stock as of Oct. 3 may vote on the takeover. The date of the A-B shareholders’ vote is expected to be set soon.

St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. (NYSE: BUD), through its Anheuser-Busch Inc. subsidiary, is the leading domestic brewer, holding a 48.5 percent share of U.S. beer sales. The company, which accepted a $52 billion takeover offer from Belgian InBev, brews the world’s largest-selling beers, Budweiser and Bud Light. Anheuser-Busch also owns a 50 percent share in Grupo Modelo, Mexico’s leading brewer, and a 27 percent share in China brewer Tsingtao, whose namesake beer brand is the country’s best-selling premium beer.

boooo

They need to already say whats going to happen with the parks

• 1 month later...

Well it is finally official, InBev deal to purchase Anheuser-Busch is finally complete. Shareholders on both sides have approved the deal as well as regulatory approval from both US and China.

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- InBev SA formed the world's largest brewer Tuesday when it finalized its $52 billion (euro41 billion) takeover of Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc.

The new company, named Anheuser-Busch InBev, will be headed by InBev CEO Carlos Brito and will be headquartered at Leuven, Belgium.

biz.yahoo.com/ap/081118/eu_belgium_anheuser_busch_inbev.html?.v=10

Unfortunately no word on the theme parks but I'm sure we will be hearing something soon within the next few weeks to the next few months.

If your interested, here is the official press release from Anheuser-Busch InBev. On the press release, you could see the new logo for the combine company.

BRUSSELS, Belgium and ST. LOUIS (Nov. 18) – InBev announced today that it has completed its acquisition of Anheuser-Busch following approval from shareholders of both companies...

Effective today, InBev has changed its name to Anheuser-Busch InBev to reflect the heritage and traditions of Anheuser-Busch. Starting Nov. 20, 2008, the company will trade under the new ticker symbol ABI on the Euronext Brussels stock exchange.

www.ab-inbev.com/documents/press_release.pdf

Living in the evil country which is home to Inbev, I'm surprised to see that the take over is official now. I didn't read anything in the newspapers nor did they say anything on the news about this here in Belgium.

I'm very curious too about what they are going to do with the parks.

I find the logo to be okay, but I'm still sick to my stomach.

They could have at least kept the A and eagle logo with the new font. The "A" was true Americana.

Yea, I agree.

The next couple of months will probably decide, if I hate InBev or just dislike them.

Well finally a little news about possible suitors for the Busch parks. Merlin Entertainment has confirmed that they are interested in buying Busch Entertainment according to this article. It also confirms Cedar Fair is not interested because of the price tag.

"Anyone interested in taking a global position in this industry is interested in Busch," said Nick Varney, Merlin chief executive officer. "And that certainly includes us."

...British Merlin Entertainments Group has already put investment bankers on the case, as has the Spanish Parques Reunidos. Both are active players in the rapidly consolidating U.S. amusement park sector...

"We're not interested," said Dick Kinzel, chief executive officer of Cedar Fair, the nation's fourth-largest park operator which owns Cedar Point in Ohio and Knott's Berry Farm in California. "The price tag has too many 'B's' in it."

www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/article910021.ece

I'm quite glad that the takeover has happened - maybe they will do something about the nasty taste of US Bud - YUK. Although ironically, UK bud isn't too bad (still way down at the bottom of the list though), but Czech Budweiser (the original, and not affiliated with AB) is soo much nicer.

Any how, I digress.

I think Merlin would be a good new owner, and would give them a new direction to take, hopefully bringing ideas from US to UK re parks. I only hope they don't choose to 'focus' on the US parks and neglect the UK parks!

Edit to add:

Merlin's private equity backer, the Blackstone Group, already owns half of Universal Orlando

(taken from the link above)

Well, I didn't know that. So if Merlin did get BGA & SWO, it could change things quite a bit. I known they already share things like the Orlando flexiticket, but this could open up all sorts of new opportunities. (Not sure what they would be, but there must be some!)

while we're on the topic of beer..ish....did anyone get a chance to try the pumpkin spice beer they had? I saw it at Sea World about a month ago, but didn't get a chance to try it out.

It's not too good--just Bud with a bit of what's supposed to be pumpkin-pie spice, I guess.