TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The InBev/Busch Discussion Thread

Budweiser just started tasting even worse.

I said the same thing for the Wal-Mart family, and I'll say it again for the Busch family. How wealthy do you need to be? Honestly, there are a million small mom and pop businesses out there that are legitimately feeling the strain of the economy, but the current situation is not threatening any major executive's lifestyle at A-B. In fact, their yearly salaries combined could probably take care of St. Louis' population for decades.

Naturally I'm concerned about the parks; however, I'm more concerned about corporate America. Pride in one's family, and/or national tradition just don't matter anymore.....and that's sad.

What's next? The White House: sponsored by ___________?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hopefully not too much cause i will be visiting busch gardens in orlando next year
There's a Busch Gardens in ORLANDO?!?! I'll be danged!

just busting your chops!

As for this news...I was at Sea World Saturday & was already aware of the possibility of the sale. When August Busch IV came on the screen during 'Believe' and claimed all his "pride for America,/Pride for the troops, etc" I prompty wanted to slap his face...for selling out!

At least he'll have a nice retirement package! Oh joy!

As for the parks. It doesn't look positive right now. Someone on here mentioned sellign off the parks peace by peace to 3rd parties...I certainly hope not...at least not seperate the ones in Florida...that would Major League SUCK for annual passholders!

I said the same thing for the Wal-Mart family, and I'll say it again for the Busch family. How wealthy do you need to be? Honestly, there are a million small mom and pop businesses out there that are legitimately feeling the strain of the economy, but the current situation is not threatening any major executive's lifestyle at A-B. In fact, their yearly salaries combined could probably take care of St. Louis' population for decades.

I think the Belgians were hell bent on buying them out and they may have faced a protracted battle possibly involving a hostile takeover. This story was only going to end one way. Maybe doing it "the hard way" would have generated some really bad blood and been even more damaging to their US operations and employees in the long run.

InBev always has the option of closing up every US office and plant, firing 100% of the US employees, and then setting up shop in Mexico where they'll make the stuff at greatly reduced overhead and ship it to the US at a huge cost savings to both InBev and the consumer. And the consumer wouldn't bat an eye at this strategy because "hey, cheaper beer!@##!@"

Naturally I'm concerned about the parks; however, I'm more concerned about corporate America. Pride in one's family, and/or national tradition just don't matter anymore.....and that's sad.

Although I'm sad to see the company change hands, I find it hard to get too worked up about it. Like you said before, they make REALLY AWFUL beer. It's not like we're losing a company world renowned for its quality, like Mercedes or something. AB makes cheap, raunchy beer. It's so bad I can't even drink it at all.

^You nailed it. InBev doesn't have to keep their promises. Once they own it, it's theres and they can do as they please. For all we know, once the sale is final, they'll lay everyone off, shut the breweries down, and sell the rest piece by piece.

Memo to AB employess form InBev...

Everyone can keep their job if they agree to a 50 percent pay cut.

Remember, the sale isn't final. It has to go through a vote and be approved by stockholders and regulators. Hopefully, there are many stockholders that oppose the sale.

Well, I am a stockholder but I also still work for BGT. In the short term, most stockholders would welcome the $$$ gains made from this sale.

But in the long run, is it worth the extra money now to selling out down the road and losing what is, in my opinion, the only truly great theme park chain as far as environment, landscaping, great rides, food, and shows?

I don't think so.

I've only been to BGE but if they were scrapped by inbev then heres what needs to happen.

Send Loch Ness to KD

Send Alpengeist to Hard Rock

Send BBW to Carowinds or SFA

Send Apollos to Dollywood (One hyper would comple that park IMO ^-^)

This take over may end up sucking for the parks but I honestly could care less about the crappy beer.

Honestly, I don't really care about the beer part of the deal. I like AB as a company because of its commitment to communities, assisting in disaster relief, its commitment to conservation and its commitments to the environment, and of course the commitment to the unmatched quality at the parks. It's not just a beer company. It's an American company that proudly has strong ties to every community in this country.

Oh, now some economists are calling this a horrible deal for both companies, mainly because there is no long term gain for neither of them. InBev said it wants to spread the Bud brand, well, AB could have done it by themselves, and this deal comes down to, "InBev wants to run AB just because they think they can run it better than the Busch family."

Here's a video. You might have to do a quick search, but just use 'InBev buys Bud." http://www.foxbusiness.com/video/index.html

AND, they don't think InBev can even afford the purchase.

Honestly, I don't really care about the beer part of the deal.

You should. It's the only part that matters. The theme park side of this is small potatoes.

Although, they're not going to close down breweries, fire thousands of people, and move it all to Mexico. That'd be suicide for InBev and America's number one brewery.

I've only been to BGE but if they were scrapped by inbev then heres what needs to happen.

Send Loch Ness to KD

This take over may end up sucking for the parks but I honestly could care less about the crappy beer.

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. It's not guaranteed, but the parks will likely change owners, not close down. Now the parks' quality might decline, but I doubt we'll see the parks actually closed. Who knows though.

BTW, I don't think those coasters could fit at other parks.

Budweiser just started tasting even worse.

What's next? The White House: sponsored by ___________?

We were actually talking about oursoucing the other day at work. "Pretty soon the White House is going to be outsourced. The United States White House of Mexico City"

Send Loch Ness to KD

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. It's not guaranteed, but the parks will likely change owners, not close down. Now the parks' quality might decline, but I doubt we'll see the parks actually closed. Who knows though.

BTW, I don't think those coasters could fit at other parks.

Oh I know it 99% won't happen and I know they are all fit into the landscape there, aside from maybe Alpengeist, but I was just having some fun thoughts I had to share

EDIT: I found the "Crazy Super Speculation Topic maybe I can move it there

The part that bothers me most about InBev, is that they were going hostel takeover if they didn't get their way, right away (like Burger King now). Why now all of a sudden and why so agressive?

If you're willing to attack right away, you don't have the aquisitions best interestes at heart, nor does it gain you any favor or support.

When I was crossing the bridge into Festa Italia at BGE, I had a strange feeling of looking over the bridge and saying "I can't believe this place is just gone." At the time, I dismissed the feeling as nonesense. AB was just fine.

That feeling coupled with recent events concerns me. It was the same feeling I had leaving Opryland in 94.

When I was crossing the bridge into Festa Italia at BGE, I had a strange feeling of looking over the bridge and saying "I can't believe this place is just gone." At the time, I dismissed the feeling as nonesense. AB was just fine.

That feeling coupled with recent events concerns me. It was the same feeling I had leaving Opryland in 94.

Having lived briefly in Nashville in 2000, I know this feeling well- As I passed from the Opryland hotel towards the sprawling Opry Mills complex, I passed by the River Rapids ride- still standing, sans water. I got a distinct feeling of not only emptiness, but also sadness- both for the same reason: A good park gone wrong, now due void of people's laughter and fun.

I don't want to cast a shadow on the park for which I truly love, but I have a strange sense of dread over my head right now- and for some reason, I can see Opryland/Opry Mills clearly again...

^ Good to know I'm not alone in this feeling.

According to the news video, InBev might have to sell non-core assets to pay for the deal. So they don't have enough money for this deal in the first place, yet they were shooting for hostel take-over?

I'll stop. This whole thing is just infuriating and shameful.

I just can't imagine the Busch parks being closed down entirely and not being sold to someone who intends on maintaining them. People would absolutely flip out if all the Sea World's were shut down, dismantled and scrapped. Same goes for the Busch Gardens parks. I can't imagine there wouldn't be an interested buyer. There's the BEC equivalent of Mark Shapiro out there somewhere...

There was an article in the Daily Press (Newport News, Va.) discussing all that Busch has done for this part of Virginia (for example, training hospitality staff for the Jamestown 400 celebration and holding the LPGA Tournament at Kingsmill). ImBev isn't going to be "into" that stuff, but nobody really knows what the fallout (if any) will be from this deal. So, we're in a holding pattern in Williamsburg.

I hate waking up in the morning to craptacular news such as this. I recently just did a PhotoTR on a vacation I did right after AB rejected InBev's first attempt at buying them out, and we were amazed by the beauty and maintenance of BGE. All the workers were very well-trained and super friendly, and pre-shows to many attractions included a special message from a member of the Busch family either about the environment, a thank you for choosing to spend your day at their park, or in honor of our American troops and heroes.

It disgusts me that the last American owned brewer might be lost. This is no longer about losing AB to a foreign company, this is about losing a great part of American history, quality, and employment to a company that has a history of destroying what AB stands for. If we lose AB, what's next? Disney?

Edit:

Game over, from the AB website:

InBev and Anheuser-Busch Agree to Combine

Creating the Global Leader in Beer with Budweiser as its

Flagship Brand

Combination Will Create One of the World’s Five Largest Consumer

Products Companies

Company to be Named Anheuser-Busch InBev;

Budweiser to Expand Globally

Well if it is anything like the XM/Sirius merger, maybe it will stall out for over 18mo

Seriously though, in the long run, will people boycott Bud beer and other products? I doubt it. It makes me sad that a company, that has supported this country and our troops for so long, can even think that people will be happy about a sale to a foreign company. So much for buying American.

As for the parks, what will happen to them if say Six Flags gets them? What about Cedar Fair? They have already closed down one park, why not ruin what we have here in FL.

I know I will have to think long and hard as to whether or not renew my SW/BG passes.