TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Universal Studios Hollywood

Thanks for all of the comments guys!

LOL Robb...didn't even realize I look like a Lt. Dan partial-amputee in that photo!

Oh, the worst is the new ending! It still gets to me—what used to be a logical conclusion and finale to the story the ENTIRE queue and ride has set up, has been reduced to a dark room, with fog being blow in your face, an occasional strobe, and a bright, blinding light.

Honest question.... you say new ending. We went on it about 6 months after it first opened and I remember an ending fairly similar to the one you mentioned. Was there a different one at first? Anything has to be better than the ending we experienced... It was pretty bad.

I recall the ride having a "finale" scene, with a "fire effect" as well as an eclipse effect or something. The whole room was bright, orange, and there was fog accentuating the effects.

What is now is just a dark room with a bright light.

Here's a photo of the effects test of what used to be, from Robb's hardhat tour of the ride in 2004:

-Jahan

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the ending isn't any better or worse. They're both under-whelming.

The original was faux fire on the sides (steam with orange lighting that sort of looked like fire), steam cannons coming out from all around you (with more orange/red lighting), the Ln2 cannons that are still in use, and the projection on the ceiling which was the eclipse ending to kill the Mummy.

Wow, I never knew that US:H was on a mountain. Cool, well dude you taught me something today! You can give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done...

I wish they'd do that wetter then ever thing here to our Jurrasic Park. (unless they have I've just never really cared to notice)

Win.

I'm inclined to agree about the Mummy, though the only version I've experienced is USF's... a few minor thrills here and there, but it's mostly visual. (At least the ending seems different/better from what you described USH's as.)

Awesome report, Jahan... even had the standard "Your Studio And You" reference!

Thanks Jahan for the Photo TR! You reminded me that this is a fun place to go despite the lack of rides, there is still a lot to do. I haven't been since Spiderman Rocks, so I need to get around to visiting soon. For now this TR will have to do. Thanks for being so detailed with it.

Cool. Liking the Bates thing come to life, although I hope the actor hs more to do than stuff a body in a trunk and slowly attack the tram 30 times a day.

So is there a new backstory given with the revised skyline? Like instead of Marion Crane it's now one of his Whoville neighbors?

IMG_2858_2.jpg.09206d668d2519bd4600148b46640e12.jpg

That's cool what they did with the Bates thing. They need to update that tour though. But, hopefully they are with the King Kong attraction gone. Is the stupid spinning tunnel of doom for the Mummy still at the end?

And no Horror maze? Last time I was there was the first year they brought HHN there. The Van Helsing turned Horror maze sucked balls. I want to check out the new one though.

And, quick question, does Whoopie just replace Ron Howard, or does she actually do more of the narrating?

Is the stupid spinning tunnel of doom for the Mummy still at the end?

And, quick question, does Whoopie just replace Ron Howard, or does she actually do more of the narrating?

Dude, what the hell WAS that spinning Mummy tunnel on the tour? I saw trams going into that building and thought it was going to be good, but once we went in, I didn't get that at all...

From what I remember on the tour (from 2 weeks ago) there might have been a clip or 2 from Ron Howard, but Whoopie is pretty much the "narrator" person of the videos on the tour, unfortunately.

Even though I live closest to USH, the lack of things to do there makes this the place I only take out of town relatives.

They need to overhaul that bottom lot asap. Tear down Backdraft and the Special EFX show, and clone IOA's MIB and Spiderman. Mummy is too short, even my 65 year old mother thought it was dull and short.

Upper lot: time to get rid of "the house of horrors" - which would make a better queque line for a better attraction, like a spinning coaster. I get that they can't make anything too tall on the upper or lower lots because of filming sight lines.

They also have a dead zone next to the outdated T2 attraction (although, they should refresh the ride with the new cast - Bale, etc.) That area is good enough for at least 1, if not two, low rise flat rides.

If their 2009 plans really are just the falling bridge and a musical, I think the park remains on the skip list.

Given USH resources, they really haven't used the available space to it's fullest potential.

HHN's is pretty much the only time I've seen the park really fully alive.

Thanks for the Shout-Out! Car looks in terrible shape...*sigh*

But anywho. You did a great TR, As Always. You pretty much "nailed" Universal Studios Hollywood right on the head. The park is good, but it just deserves so much more....

-Ryan

Wafflehouse.jpg.459e8c19fecafe64072d5eae7b69e2c3.jpg

Still Out Best...

I quite liked USH, our family found it more interactive than the other Socal parks we've been to.

Fear Factor, Special Effects Stages, Animal Actors, T2:3D, Studio Tour, Nick Zone (although looks like it has been renamed Curious George since we were there 12 months ago), Waterworld etc all involved audience participation either during the show or preshow.

Sure, it's not a roller coaster enthusiasts dream, and doesn;t have the iconic Disney characters, but our family appreciated the contrast between USH, and SFMM or DLR/DCA.

^That's the great thing about SoCal. There's literally a park for everyone. You've got Disneyland for the little ones, Knott's for the Tweens and Families, and SFMM for the teens and thrill seekers. For USH, it's again for the whole family, but on a different level. It is a tourist type park, yes, but also a park you would visit about once every two years or so to catch up on all the minor and major changes. Heck, since I've been there, The Horror maze changed, Whoopi and the stupid Fast Furious thing appeared on the tram, and the Simpson's Ride opened. Oh, and the Universal Experience too.

It is a park of a change and of wonder. But yeah, for a bit of people, it doesn't have 50 rides, so it's not a grabber.

^there's really no comparison between them aside from the same ride system and a few scenes that are the same. ROTM was shoehorned into the ET building at USH, while USF's was put into the old King Kong building, a likely much larger building with more room for bigger scenes.

I recommend going to Toy Story Mania. I went on it 3 times and it's the best ride i've ever been on.

What does this have to do with a Universal Studios trip report?

Based on your age I STRONGLY recommend you read this thread:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31454

Hey Robb, I think he might have been referring to the end of Jahan's report when Jahan took a picture of the Toy Story Mania Billboards hinting of going to Disneyland next.