TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pre-lifts

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold Striker has a nice one, slight turn to the left and then whips around to the right and then left into the lift. It's definitely a great start to an awesome coaster.

I do agree about Gold Striker's pre-lift being really nice. It's much more intense than I thought. Heck, most GCIs have a really good pre-start anyways (though Gold Striker's pre-lift is my favorite of all of them).

I haven't been on many of the great ones people have been listing, but there are a few off the top of my head I enjoyed.

- Hydra: The Revenge, for obvious reasons

- Mystery Mine, I'm a sucker for rides that integrate a story

- Great White (Morey's Piers), great start

- All the GCI coasters I've ridden

For me, I have three that stand-out.

1) Hydra the Revenge- I personally love the jojo roll. I'm a sucker for hang-time and there may not be a better inversion for it anywhere else.

2) Thunderbolt (Kennywood)- The drop out of the station and into the ravine is a classic.

3) Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (WDW)- I like the tunnel and the quick changes of direction.

Even though it's short, Ghostrider's is damn good for what it was: A taste for the rest of the ride. The train gains speed out of nowhere, and wakes you up by reminding you "Oh yeah, you're on a roller coaster" with a quick rattle and some sharp turns. Not to mention it looks great hidden in all of that foliage.

Something interesting that I noticed was that there are no pre-ride elements on any of the coasters at SFOG. All have a short straight section or a 90 degree turn and it goes right into the lift. I really like the pre-lift elements!

The Dahlonega Mine Train kind of has one. It does a 180 to the left and goes through that little warehouse building before the lift. Nothing too exciting, but a lot more than what the rest of them have.

The only coaster I've really been on that had any kind of real pre-lift is Magic Kingdom's Big Thunder, so I guess that one wins by default. I think the one that looks the coolest to go on would either be Thunderation at SDC, since that's basically all of the ride, or Jupiter at Kijima Amusement Park in Japan, just because it seems to go on forever and looks like it picks up some serious speed.