TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island building a B&M Hyper Coaster

On a slightly serious note, I don't see what's so interesting about this coaster. Seems like every fanboy is blowing it out of proportion because it's not announced yet.

But hey, what's new.

I don't think it's that. It's interesting because Kings Island needs a real standout attraction. It's still promoting The Beast as the park's main attraction. That's not something you should be doing for nearly 30 years. This will most likely be the biggest, most expensive attraction the park has ever seen. I think that's pretty interesting.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a slightly serious note, I don't see what's so interesting about this coaster. Seems like every fanboy is blowing it out of proportion because it's not announced yet.

But hey, what's new.

I don't think it's that. It's interesting because Kings Island needs a real standout attraction. It's still promoting The Beast as the park's main attraction. That's not something you should be doing for nearly 30 years. This will most likely be the biggest, most expensive attraction the park has ever seen. I think that's pretty interesting.

I'm sure that some will whine because it doesn't break any meaningful records. Records, schmecords...

I've felt for a decade that Kings Island needs a signature steel coaster. IMO the last time the park built a steel coaster of great stature was Vortex. Sure, Top Gun/Flight Deck, Flight of Fear, and even Firehawk were noteworthy, but they don't stand out like many B&Ms and Intamins do, IMO.

Of course, not only is the park hyping this thing greatly, several blueprints are on file at the City of Mason Planning Department, confirming several details. I can't see how this coaster will disappoint the general public, let alone enthusiasts.

SAVE THE DATE

Kings Island has revealed a number of clues about the new ride it is building. Signs dropping the following hints surround the construction area in Rivertown: “Ride Sally Ride.” “Slippery When Wet.” “Move Slowly. Do Not Disturb.” “Run For The Hills.” “Steep Incline Ahead.”

Here’s another clue: Think Big. No. Real Big!

Kings Island will shed all of the details of the new attraction on August 6. Don’t miss the biggest announcement in the 36-year history of Kings Island! Be a part of the experience when park officials unveil the meanest ride to hit the park at 2:00 p.m. in Rivertown. See the press conference live as it happens!

Mark your calendar now! 08-06-08. Kings Island. Where Else?

Kings Island. Where Else?

In chronological order:

Busch Gardens Europe (1999)

Six Flags Great America (1999)

Six Flags Great Adventure (2001)

Europa Park (2002)

Six Flags Over Georgia (2006)

La Ronde (2006)

Universal Studios Japan (2007)

Canada's Wonderland (2008)

^ Yeah, I was being sarcastic again...

The good thing about this ride is it doesn't have to be all that great to be hands down the best ride in the park.

-James Dillaman

What? Laser Snake Horse ON FIRE not great?

^ Well for someone who lives in FL, I can understand, but living 5 mintues from Kings Island since 1989, it will be nice to actually have a hyper, and I don't care what it was. I would've been happy with a Magnum clone for all I care. It's nice to finally have a big coaster at my home park. Now I am far from a fanboy, in fact I'm one of KI's harshest critics if you ask all my friends, but this is one thing that makes me feel a little better, and I might actually purchase a season pass for the first time in a few years to the park. It never ceases to amaze me that parks even bother announcing new rides at all, when all the coaster enthusiasts just go on and on about how they're going to be awful rides, and I wish they were building this or they should've built that... If anyone on here thinks they can run an amusement park better, especially at a time when the economy is slow and people have less discretionary income, then by all means, why don't you go out and raise capital to build your own park. You can build your 12-looping inverted aquatrax, and I'll go ride it opening day, because I know the park will be Bankrupt by the end of the week.

It's the same thing in the Steel Hawg thread. Eveyone was going on and on about how it's going to be so rough, and that coaster looks like it's going to hurt. If people would wait until the rides finished and they ride it, they'd find that usually it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I rode Steel Hawg and it was very fun, not a top ten coaster by any means, but a good addition to the park and not painful like everyone seemed to fear. I feel this ride will be good, not a new best steel coaster, but decent. Especially for the people in Southern Ohio, who don't really have decent steel coasters close by. Many of my local friends haven't even been to Cedar Point. So Kudos to Kings Island, and I'll keep hopeful and save my thoughts on what the ride should be for when I actually ride it.

-James Dillaman

^That's our nature. It's not like the guy was sincerely criticizing the ride. He was just making a joke about what he'd rather have. I'm in the same boat as you. For 22 years, Kings Island was my home park (just moved south this year) so I'm amped about the new ride no matter what, but that doesn't mean I don't wish it was an Intamin.

Yes, some people tend to get a bit ridiculous with the criticizing and speculating before a ride is even open, but it is our nature to criticize and speculate to extent. When you think about it, a person who says they think something is going to suck really isn't any different than somebody who says its going to be awesome, or passes any type of pre-ride experience judgment for that matter.

And besides, it's not like parks make these announcements for enthusiasts. They may cater to enthusiasts at the actual events because they know we get off on this type of stuff, but that's not why they do it, especially this early. They do it to get the publicity and get the word out that something big is coming to the park next year.