TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island building a B&M Hyper Coaster

I just got off the phone with a source. The name is still 60% likely to be Mustang, but Diamondback was also being tossed around. They are finalizing by the weekend, from what I understand, with an announcement to be made in a couple weeks.

Also, there were plans to really hype up this ride. The PR job planned has not been seen since 2000, when SoB was hyped. Hopefully this one will turn out better, but to quote my source: "It'll be one heck of a ride."

-James Dillaman

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few things I'm thinking about.

King Cobra returns?

-JZ

So...close! I just checked RCDB, and King Cobra was installed 24 years ago...The only big attraction 36 years ago was Bavarian Beetle, but that doesn't seem to menacing. Then again, maybe that 36 is some sort of code..If you check RCDB, KC is 24 years old, and Demon is 31. I don't know how those relate to each other aside from location, but they both fit the demon eye thing, and re-using long defunct coasters seems to be a 'strike back/revenge' type of thing.

So yeah, Diamondback. Even James agrees theres a slight possibility.

No offense to James and his sources, but I have to believe that both of those names aren't quite right. Neither fits in with the animations and videos shown on KI's 'New For 2009' page. A Mustang wouldn't be in a box with predator-like eyes, nor would somebody be running from it in terror. And unless they plan on making it out to be some ginormous freak snake, a diamondback wouldn't really be in the woods, nor would somebody be running from it in terror or would it be shaking a crate with large thuds.

I just can't buy either of those names given these details, plus the hype they are building. Seeing how the coding for the page says "Beast" and they are using the shaking crate concept yet again, it has to be something Beast oriented. Not only is it an extremely recognizable and glorified ride in the Ohio Valley, it would also give Kings Island a way to bring some glory back to the park and the "Beast" name after the miserable failure that has been Son of Beast.

Just my thoughts. Who knows, maybe I will be eating my words in a few weeks.

^ I agree. The teaser doesn't seem to have anything to do with a mustang or a snake. The teaser actually reminds me of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Hills Have Eyes....kind of creepy.

I remember when I was young, we always used to talk about water moccasins being in the water under The Beast, and that's why they drained it. Every one would say that a water moccasin got in one of the log flume boats and bit someone. There was just a lot of water moccasin talk for some reason, at least in my group of friends. Maybe the coaster is a giant, mutant water moccasin, taking revenge for draining their pond.

never read it, but could someone elaborate? Like can the LAF refer to something or whatnot.

LAF is the Lance Armstrong Foundation, who's motto is "Live Strong".

But these comments show up on all KI web pages, so I doubt they mean anything at all. They're just part of the site template.

Also, if you're trying to see the Names like "Beast", "Behemoth", "Volcano" that everyone is talking about just right-click on the visitkingsisland.com main page and hit view source. Oh and it has gone back to .

Komodo would be a kick a$$ name, although I don't believe that will be the actual name for the ride.

^Thanks.

Wow, ok now I'm puzzled. Theres the moving eye with scales on it, the picture of the desert, and the park strikes back. That for me leans toward it being snake themed, perhaps like a Son of Beast for King cobra. Just don't name it Son of Kobra!

Then again, the box reminds me of what KI did for Son of Beast. So at the moment I am very confused.

-Gaven

Since there have been no new name fillings for trademarks I wonder if CF will reuse an old name.. The coaster might be named King Cobra.. Snake name to go with the snake eye and the videos seem to be something low to the ground chasing people.

Cant wait tell 2 weeks when the release all the details..

^ I'll repeat what I've heard: Diamondback. I don't see them bringing back ride names of defunct rides. They don't want to bring back old memories of removed rides. Also, I would have heard about it from the management. Certain people would have definitely called me, as they know how much I loved King Cobra.

Plus it would also fit the western theming, as they are found in the American west.

Although one of my sources is still saying Mustang is in the running... so I don't know for sure.

-James "Diamondback is a type of rattlesnake" Dillaman

I didn't take these pictures.

You should always cite where you got something like pictures even if you acknowledge you didn't take them. It's just good policy and is a situation that will come up frequently as you go through school.

Thanks for posting the pictures, though.