TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europa Park Discussion Thread

^ Whew! That was a close one. Last time I was there I got launched out the bottom of the one facing the carousel and almost ended up inside of the carousel. Wicked slides, haha!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those VR glasses on Alpenexpress look like a lot of fun!

I just returned from a three-day trip with my girlfriend to Europa Park. We stayed at the hotel Santa Isabel. First time at the park for us both.

I expected a LOT from Europa Park after reading the reviews online. What can I say...? It totally exceeded those expectations. As soon as we got into the hotel my jaw dropped due to the amazing detail and theming. Simply beautiful. And the same can be said about the park. The whole park is simply gorgeous. The rides are great – I especially loved Blue Fire (a top 10 coaster for me), Euro-Mir (without a doubt the most 'avant-garde'/original coaster I've been on – that tune will stay in my head for weeks!), and Arthur, which is is probably the single best dark ride I've ever been on, nothing in, for instance, DLP can compare to it in my opinion. Oh, and the operations are INSANE. Look closely at that picture of Euro-Mir. Note the placement of those two 16-passenger trains. They're like 15 seconds apart. And the food is amazing. Ok, ok... I'll stop now.

The only bad part is that I'll be now spoiled forever. Why can't every park be like this? I can't wait to return.

image.thumb.jpg.deb085714173f6a840f1aebdcd5640f9.jpg

I just can't get behind the VR coaster idea until I experience it. It's like watching a movie while riding a family coaster (in this case powered). I guess it will make credit whores feel cleaner when they adapt it to miner mike and other kiddie coasters.

One thing that amazes me is how the ride ops in Europa Park walk casually back and forth when they check the restraints without stacking and other parks can`t?

Yeah, it's great man! I thought about this too, and it seemed like they trust people's common sense just a bit more compared to many other parks, and I think that's great. For instance, they allowed bags on Euro-Mir and Euro-Sat which significantly speeds up the loading process, they don't 'staple' people on any of the coasters, they don't have ridiculous loose-article policies about glasses, etc., and they don't physically check every single restraint on the small coasters -- for example Matterhorn Blitz and Alpenexpress -- because they actually trust that people have common sense, and because... Well, they're SMALL COASTERS. They basically eliminated every redundant, 'lawyer-pleasing' part of operations.

I just can't get behind the VR coaster idea until I experience it. It's like watching a movie while riding a family coaster (in this case powered). I guess it will make credit whores feel cleaner when they adapt it to miner mike and other kiddie coasters.

I have to agree I can't say the idea appeals to me massively but I will be happy to give it a try. I think it would be weird if they just put POVs of their other coasters on the VR headset just to mess with your mind.

I think it would be weird if they just put POVs of their other coasters on the VR headset just to mess with your mind.

That would actually make you motion sick.

I tried a lot of VR and like everyone says, you have to try it by yourself. It doesn't just show a video. It is an 3D-Environment that gives you the feeling that you are in there. The best way to explain is if you are high up on a tower and look down - the feeling you get is the same you get when you look in a virtual abyss. You get that weird feeling that you could drop there. So with this coaster for example: They put you in a fantasy world with a wild turbulent ride... and because of the virtual reality you can change the heights, were in the real world the coaster just drops some meters in the virtual reality you can make the drop much higher and faster... 50m for example. And you are feeling like you are in there... together with dragons and other stuff. That will open possibilities like Special-Effects in movies - but they are not on a screen, they are around you... just everywhere (imagine a car flying over your head after an explosion).

And you can even fake much more: For example they used a banking change from left to right to simulate a barrel-roll. Your inner sensors won´t realize that you haven't made a full overhead. Or they used some bumps in the track to simulate a slight jump in the scenes.

You really have to try it by yourself... it really is a game changer for themeparks

I'm not crazy about VR, mainly because my one experience with it made feel sick as hell. I might give it one more shot at Europa, though.

About that: I work a lot with VR and it is normal.... When you play or try something that is moving in VR most people will get sick - this is why i don`t think it will work with most of the games and why VR is more made for Experiences. Because when the camera isn't moving you won't get sick.

But it is different if you are on a moving chair... or a coaster you are moving like the virtual world that you see, so there is no problem for the brain. Because when you see the world banking sideways, your body does this,too. And this is the reason why most people get sick: if you see a virtual moving and banking sideways but your inner sensors think that you don´t move - it will make people dizzy

I tried a lot of VR and like everyone says, you have to try it by yourself. It doesn't just show a video. It is an 3D-Environment that gives you the feeling that you are in there. The best way to explain is if you are high up on a tower and look down - the feeling you get is the same you get when you look in a virtual abyss. You get that weird feeling that you could drop there. So with this coaster for example: They put you in a fantasy world with a wild turbulent ride... and because of the virtual reality you can change the heights, were in the real world the coaster just drops some meters in the virtual reality you can make the drop much higher and faster... 50m for example. And you are feeling like you are in there... together with dragons and other stuff. That will open possibilities like Special-Effects in movies - but they are not on a screen, they are around you... just everywhere (imagine a car flying over your head after an explosion).

And you can even fake much more: For example they used a banking change from left to right to simulate a barrel-roll. Your inner sensors won´t realize that you haven't made a full overhead. Or they used some bumps in the track to simulate a slight jump in the scenes.

You really have to try it by yourself... it really is a game changer for themeparks

I understand what you are saying.

I do not understand how this be will a significantly different experience than what can be done in a stand alone simulator.

Of course, I'll try it if it is at a park near me, but it is one of these things I need to experience to fully understand.

Edited by larrygator

• 2 weeks later...
One thing that amazes me is how the ride ops in Europa Park walk casually back and forth when they check the restraints without stacking and other parks can`t?

This x1000 it blew my mind just how casual and fantastic all of the ride ops were.

And Halloween looks fantastic at Europa! That park was truly incredible...

• 4 weeks later...

The park's 14th land officially announced:

Ireland

- replaces the old Viking/Nivealand

- includes an indoor area with a playground, a cafe and a shop

- 3 new family rides (including some kind of "swinging ship" and a tractor ride)

- a new show

- opens "Spring 2016"

CR6yrANWcAAAYz1.thumb.jpg.8dca1c65d7ad44a3989597a1fc516e42.jpg

Other changes for 2016:

- in the entrance area, the park's monorail will be rerouted a little

- the African restaurant "Colonial House" will become bigger, with the addition of an extra wing