TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europa Park Discussion Thread

Well, the testruns with steel wheels were done just to see how Wodan is running in the wintertime with very low temperatures AFAIK.

And yes, they changed (just) the side wheels to steel, while the main wheels are still polyurethane (during the summertime).

I heard a lot of peole saying they never experienced a coaster getting SO (!) much faster the longer its operating....that`s why I asked if it`s a "typical" GCI thing.

If became rougher...but alot better IMHO

I don't find any GCIs have gotten faster over time, as with the steel wheels I don't think there is much that can change. However with Poly wheels it is possible they have broken in a lot over time and are running quicker.

I know it's an older GCI, but I found Thunderhead to get faster (and more intense) as the day went on...so it wouldn't surprise me if Wodan was the same...

some progress pics from http://www.chris-space.net/?incvar=ep_2014.htm from the last weeks... the outdoor section seems to build very nicly through and around the existing trees

Thanks for posting these, it is definitely interesting to see Mack's new inverted track.

I just have one question.

I know I haven't really payed much attention to Arthur the Ride's initial announcement made by Europa Park, but is this a Powered inverted coaster?

I ask because that strip of long flat metal that appears to be centered on the track looks similar to the flat strip of metal I see on their powered coasters.

But now that I look at the picture above, Arthur's metal strip seems twice as wide.

I always assumed that a rubber wheel connected to an electric motor under their powered trains used that metal strip like a narrow road to move the train. I base this assumption on no facts whatsoever and would be happy to be enlightened by someone who knows a bit more about powered coasters.

I've heard people saying they don't check restraints at Europa Park but they do on the big rides from my experience. They don't pull it like at many Merlin parks but they'll push it down so there's no gaps between you and the restraint. What's everyone else's experiences?

Edited by tbo2

Thanks for posting these, it is definitely interesting to see Mack's new inverted track.

I just have one question.

I know I haven't really payed much attention to Arthur the Ride's initial announcement made by Europa Park, but is this a Powered inverted coaster?

I ask because that strip of long flat metal that appears to be centered on the track looks similar to the flat strip of metal I see on their powered coasters.

But now that I look at the picture above, Arthur's metal strip seems twice as wide.

I always assumed that a rubber wheel connected to an electric motor under their powered trains used that metal strip like a narrow road to move the train. I base this assumption on no facts whatsoever and would be happy to be enlightened by someone who knows a bit more about powered coasters.

Yep, it's powered. I think the power pickup things will be going near the top of the track as you can see the brackets near the top of the triangle backbone (they are probably adding these last so they don't get damaged).

Today at the first "amusement industry enthusiast" event in PortAventura, Maximilian Röeser from Mack rides show us some new renders of the suspended family coaster in Europa Park, and also presented to us their new patent. This new "rafting ride" wants to create the "out of control" sensation from the rafting but also offer the confort from a ride. This new track will be underwater, so deep you won't be able to see it, so the layout would be unclear to the passengers. This new track allows the boat to float in the water like the water rides and also to connect with the track to do step drops and speed roller coaster layouts. here are the pictures.

582104_10201319393879785_524274106_n.jpg.267cd91b9ed15a23db765d67a9c64363.jpg

And here is a brand new render from the coaster!

1235095_10201319393199768_2014490222_n.jpg.6500ea7678a3c91b5c19671b003ca927.jpg

Maximillian form Mack Rides

565035_10201319393959787_453573921_n.jpg.2bb57c682611f88199e5774d7e615c3d.jpg

Pictures from the new patent

1175116_10201319394199793_1033534592_n.jpg.8c4d016a0d49e8000413eaa63a9feb77.jpg

Track drawing

1237624_10201319394399798_1735990196_n.jpg.d13ec51b099445cf065cfa7fe406bcff.jpg

Detail from the rafting ride

1236257_10201319394679805_1988649655_n.jpg.205594329519d1157a8f182356998c72.jpg

This was Mack rides!

first some infos for the new coaster: yes, it is a powered inverted coaster, but it seems that it didn`t get any gravity driven passages. This would be possible but they decided not to use it on this one.

But it has another feature: the cars will have controlled spinning in the dark ride scenes and in the outdoor section you can ineractivly change or choose the direction in which the cars are facing. So you can ride it sideways or backwards if you want.

and there are some new photos from some theming elements,models and some indoor parts in their exhibition room:

(photos from http://www.chris-space.net/?incvar=bilder.php&path=news/2014/2013_09_14-artworks/)

this paper clips maybe prepared...

...for this creepy scene

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

Im thinking about going to Europa Park during winter season. I tried to search their homepage about what attractions will be closed during winter, but wasnt lucky. Would anyone here know? I would appreciate if you would tell me about your other experiences at Europa park during winter season - queque times. shows etc. (If im going im going like one week before christmas)

Thanks

In wintertime they normally close the most big outdoor attractions... normally "Wodan", Silverstar, BlueFire, Poseidon, Atlantis, Wildwasserbahn,FjordRafting, SchweizerBobbahn are closed. If i remember right they sometimes open some of their coasters (wodan) when it is a litlle bit warmer (i think about 5 degree celsius). the rest of the attractions should be open... eurosat, euromir, alpenexpress and many more

• 5 weeks later...

^ Very cool.

After watching this, I am more than assured that "the future of coasters"

will rely on new technology, all-encompassing themeing, and literally keeping

the coaster "in a box" as it were. This one and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster

at WDW's Magic Kingdom certainly prove this.

And it's great!

• 1 month later...

Do you think Europa Park will ever get a major flat ride such as a Giant Frisbee or a major drop tower/S&S Combo Tower or something like that? Europa Park looks amazing, but I've found it odd that such a major park does not have a major flat ride.

Do you think Europa Park will ever get a major flat ride such as a Giant Frisbee or a major drop tower/S&S Combo Tower or something like that? Europa Park looks amazing, but I've found it odd that such a major park does not have a major flat ride.

No, not unless Mack starts making that type of ride. A major focus of Europa Park is to showcase their own rides.

Of course it could happen (like Silver Star) but I doubt it.

No, not unless Mack starts making that type of ride. A major focus of Europa Park is to showcase their own rides.

Of course it could happen (like Silver Star) but I doubt it.

Fjord Rafting is from Intamin, Vindjammer is from Huss, all the small rides are from Zamperla...

I think they just don't want a major flat ride yet, maybe in the nearby future.

EP is mostly a family friendly park with an according ride selection. It was a kind of revolution when they added Blue Fire as first High Thrill attraction. But I mostly still miss another High Thrill flat as most other parks have at least a TopSpin (Phantasia, Heide), Ranger (Hansa) or MegaDance (Tivoli).

I think is mostly because of the capacity needs the park have. They need to be able to push through a big amount of people in order for the ride to be considered. A HUSS frisbee for an example would probably fit the capacity need, but is probably consider to wild. I can personally think that the park lacks a bit in the flat ride department (it is however the only thing I think this park lacks, the rest is amazing!), and I would love to see them skip on adding a coaster next time, and instead putting in a flat ride package of 6-7 different rides.

Edited by _koppen

If EP would ever do a drop tower it will most likely be an Intamin like Scream (Heide-Park) or Atmosfear (Liseberg) mainly because of its capacity. S&S droptowers while fun have way too little capacity for big parks.

Maybe a Kings Dominion with 50 Seats? But personally I see an Indoor Drop Tower with theming like Mystery Castle at Phantasialand if they ever build a drop tower.

a new video-tour from inside "Arthur- the ride" from the last press conference. Many parts of theming are still missing but the less they have already installed looks really nice. And there is an animation of the ride at the end of the video:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]