TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europa Park Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

So...guess it`s time to resume my experiences on Wodan over the last two weeks...

And I have to admit at first I wasn`t impressed at all with Wodan. Having seen Wodans testruns I thought that Europa build it`s first HIGHLY intense coaster...and I was so much looking forward to riding it in the end of March.

Well...Europa Park changed Wodan`s wheels from steel to polyurethane...and suddenly Wodan wasn`t looking nor feeling that intense anymore !!!

There were so many enthusiasts at Europa for Wodan pre-opening...and most of the reactions were just "meh"...it wasn`t bad at all...but far away from being very exciting...in fact most of Germany`s coaster experts were dissapointed AFAIK...including me.

Well...I was talking to one of Europas park directors...and i was told that Wodan would be getting faster over the next few weeks (break-in process) and that higher temperatures would also make it run faster. I was STILL dissapointed...I thought it would stay too tame, I just wasn`t able to imagine the coaster going significanly faster.

The problem was, that after a great first drop and very good pacing until the station flythrough...the train was a littlebit "crawling" through the second half...and I have to admit that after a brilliant and eventful first half the second half was a letdown...speed and layoutwise...

Anyway...on the fourth day I rode Wodan front row in the late afternoon...and I thought "Okay...this is definitively getting better"...still not amazing, but intense enough for me to giggle throughout the ride...now, at least, it was REAL fun !

But honestly I was still not in the mood for raving about it....nor writing a review here for you guys.

BUT THEN...I visited Europa again yesterday...and because the park was packed, the opening hours were prolonged to 19:30 instead of 18:00...and I was able to get on one of Wodans last rides that day...(so Wodan was already running for 10,5 hours) and because of the line for the front row being closed already...I found myself in the second row...well, NOT the best place to ride a woodie, so I wasn`t expecting much of it.

But oh boy...what a difference ! For the first time I had the impression that Wodan was flying over the course...like it did on the steel wheels. Much faster than it was just two weeks ago. It was quite warm (NOT hot), and it was permanently running for many hours that day...but what I don`t get is : Why wasn`t if fast in the afternoon ?

In fact it was okay in the afternoon...and it was WOW ! in the evening !

That last ride on Wodan was VERY good...very "wild"...and a good out-of-control experience...it was what I was hoping for from the beginning on.

To be honest...I have no idea if there will be a time when Wodan will be that fast during the daytime...or if it will be getting even faster over the time.

I don`t know...all I know is that the early reviews don`t say a lot about Wodan`s potential. Since yesterday I really see a chance that Wodan will be getting a REALLY good coaster...not only an "okay" experience.

If there will be significant changes about Wodans pacing over the next weeks...I`m gonna report it here !

Greeds...GeorgeT

And I have to admit at first I wasn`t impressed at all with Wodan. Having seen Wodans testruns I thought that Europa build it`s first HIGHLY intense coaster...and I was so much looking forward to riding it in the end of March.

Well...I was talking to one of Europas park directors...and i was told that Wodan would be getting faster over the next few weeks (break-in process) and that higher temperatures would also make it run faster. I was STILL dissapointed...I thought it would stay too tame, I just wasn`t able to imagine the coaster going significanly faster.

BUT THEN...I visited Europa again yesterday...and because the park was packed, the opening hours were prolonged to 19:30 instead of 18:00...and I was able to get on one of Wodans last rides that day...(so Wodan was already running for 10,5 hours) and because of the line for the front row being closed already...I found myself in the second row...well, NOT the best place to ride a woodie, so I wasn`t expecting much of it.

But oh boy...what a difference ! For the first time I had the impression that Wodan was flying over the course...like it did on the steel wheels. Much faster than it was just two weeks ago. It was quite warm (NOT hot), and it was permanently running for many hours that day...but what I don`t get is : Why wasn`t if fast in the afternoon ?

In fact it was okay in the afternoon...and it was WOW ! in the evening !

That last ride on Wodan was VERY good...very "wild"...and a good out-of-control experience...it was what I was hoping for from the beginning on.

Greeds...GeorgeT

That should teach people

1 - Don't judge a coaster by how it looks or test runs.

2 - Listen to what the park directors say if the park has a good reputation.

3 - Don't judge a coaster based on rides before the ride breaks in.

Edited by larrygator

1 - Don't judge a coaster by how it looks or test runs.

2 - Listen to what the park directors say if the park has a good reputation.

3 - Don't judge a coaster based on rides before the ride breaks in.

Larry...you are soooo right with that ! I really do hope I learned that lesson myself.

Funny enough while I was afraid that Wodan would stay too tame...by now I know, that Europa`s park management is more afraid of Wodan becoming TOO intense during the summertime...

I have kind of the same feeling with George and the Dragon. It was already a great ride from opening day, but over time it just got better and better... Only to bad that George and the Dragon later on was getting bumpier and bumpier like some of the older GCI's feel. Like Wildcat, they can still fiz it but i don't think that's going to happen.

Honestly, Wodan is to Wood what Silver Star is to Steel; it's a family coaster, not an extreme enthusiast coaster.

I was there last week and got the same impression.

Wodam is a good coaster? Of course. But it places 3rd on my top GCI coasters in Europe (1- Joris, 2- El Toro and 4 - Troy)

Silver Brake is still better than that Staundup Of Death that they're moving to SFA.

Looking forward to returning to Europa this summer. It has been too long since my last visit...

dt

Getting a running start and jumping head first into an empty swimming pool is better than the Standup of Death.

Europa Park is a beautifully themed family park, not an extreme thrill park.

I'd argue that all its coasters are family rides really, and that's not to knock them in the slightest; they fit their target audience beautifully.

Blue Fire is remarkably gentle given what it does. I'd argue that Euromir is probably the only intense coaster they have there, and then only if you end up going backwards in the fast bits