TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood's King Kahuna Stalls...Upside Down

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to ride this again.

Yeah, there you go! 'Cause an incident will never happen on any other ride besides King Kahuna, so no need to avoid any of the other rides in the world!

Seriously, rides are machines... they break... sometimes in unusual positions or places. It's part of it.

I better not fly a plane or drive a car ever again.

Accidents happen.

People die in amusment parks, get seriously hurt, and you just say accidents happen.

If you're afraid of this stuff, then you shouldn't ride coasters. Thus, you shouldn't be on this site. Seriously, accidents do happen. The boy getting decapitated at Six Flags over Georgia wasn't an accident. It was the boy's fault!

A good number of deaths at theme parks are the guest's fault!

OMG!!! You have to be kidding!!! A ride got stuck??? NO WAY!! This reminds of when the sky tower at Knott's got stuck a few weeks ago, I mean we needed a whole post describing how an inanimate machine happened to break down and it was such a scare!!! Yes, accidents happen, welcome to life, don't fight with it, you won't win. Seriously, stuff happens all the time, some of it serious, most of it not. If stuff happening bothers you, go to the store, load up on stuff and never open your door again.

There's nothing wrong with being worried about riding an ride that previously had an accident. Because, hey, you never know...the ride could be fine, or it could be a real problem and happen again the next day.

hey now, the article says that there were people injured.

She says she suffered neck and shoulder injuries.

It may be more than just a routine malfunction where the ride got temporarily stopped... I wonder if the attempted e-stop is why the riders got hurt.

Let's not write this one off as media hype just yet, though I do totally agree that there is inherit risk in pretty much anything and that shouldn't dissuade anyone from riding this

This reminds me, back in 2001 when GL was flying the flags a troupe of Chinese Acrobats that were preforming at the park that weekend got stuck on Texas Twister (identical to KA). They were fortunately not upside down, rather swinging freely about 15 feet off the ground. I hate to say that it was funny but seeing a group of people sitting there with confused looks on their faces while wearing only purple sequence unitards, I couldn't help but laugh. They were like that for about 15 minutes, this however was not news. Its nice that Kennywood invited them back free of charge but I really don't think a ride malfunction needs to make the news, now if they were stuck upside down for an hour that might be different.

^I'd have to agree. The restraints on Firefall at CGA are killer when they hang you upside down. I would hate to be stuck like that for a long time. At least it wasn't like the Magic Springs incident where they were stuck for over an hour. If that had happened on a Top Spin, it would be much bigger news.

But of course, from working at a theme park, I know that rides malfunction, many times in fact. This just happened to be a more major downtime.

I got stuck at the bottom of Iron Eagle (sideways-ish Top Spin) at SFA upside down for ten minutes on one of its first cycles after years of never running. Now those are uncomfortable restraints. Where's my news story?

All I got were exit tickets for one ride...go customer service!

I was stuck on The Crypt at King's Dominion for 10 minutes because the platform wouldn't rise. (Suspended Top Spin) But guess what? I didn't even get my ride! I came off along with other people, they test run it once, works fine, re-open it, works fine with people on it. The other people and I got NOTHING!!

Anyway, sorry for that rant. I've never ridden a real Top Spin with both restraints. Is it really bad? I have ridden a Looping Starship, which has the same restraints, and I find them quite fun, but painful, thanks to the difficulty to breathe.

^ That's surprising, did you ask to talk to guest relations? I imagine if you found the right person, they would do what they could to make it right.

-James Dillaman

Who? Me?

If so, yes I e-mailed them, they responded saying stuff I already know. But I was glad they replied nonetheless.

Ok is it just me or was that woman on the video overreacting. I don't think she was injured..... it may have been very uncomfortable but i guarantee you, it did not injure her. She also acted like being stuck upside down for 10 minutes was so terrible and that it was a crisis that the pakr let this happen. I mean it seems a little ridiculous.