TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's Disneyland and California Adventure Review!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, looks really really nice. I doubt I'd go there just because I'm kind of the guy who'd choose the burger 'n fries or the crispy chicken sandwich over something fancy and expensive. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good filet mignon, it's just with my and possible two brothers (11,13) coming along...I doubt we'd be let in. But who knows, my Uncle is one to surprise. I never thought I'd be going to DL two weeks from now!

-J "I'm freakin' going to Disneyland!!!" Z

hey PKI Man, I dont mean to hijack your thread so please forgive me. But Im going to disneyland as well this summer for the first time. And I have one quick question. Would you TPR's say Knotts is a must do? Were spending 9 days in Southern California. 5 day park hopper tickets, 1 day at Universal. So there is some room to fit other things in.

Would you TPR's say Knotts is a must do?

Yes, its only five miles from the Disneyland Resort. They have a pretty good collection of roller coasters and family rides. Knotts has a re located Ghost Town, which is pretty nice. Also there is Soak City water park right across the street and Independence Hall.

But if you are into just coasters, I would make the 90min drive up to SFMM. Don't waste your time at Universal, its over priced and boring, especially if you've been to Universal Orlando.

Would you TPR's say Knotts is a must do?

Yes, its only five miles from the Disneyland Resort. They have a pretty good collection of roller coasters and family rides. Knotts has a re located Ghost Town, which is pretty nice. Also there is Soak City water park right across the street and Independence Hall.

But if you are into just coasters, I would make the 90min drive up to SFMM. Don't waste your time at Universal, its over priced and boring, especially if you've been to Universal Orlando.

Never been to Universal Orlando. So we are going to give it a shot. I think we will make the trip to Knotts as the general consensus here is that its a good one. SFMM, I don't think I could convince my mom to get on Tatsu.

Thanks for the help. Again sorry PKI Man for the hijack.

But if you are travelling all that distance, then surely it makes sense to do everything you can/want to do whilst you are in LA? Couldn't you compromise (pay your own admission if you can)....say something along the lines of that you would really like to visit this park (Perhaps show her how impressive it is, number of coasters etc), and would rather visit on this trip rather than having to waste money flying back to LA to see the place at some point in the future?

Don't waste your time at Universal, its over priced and boring, especially if you've been to Universal Orlando.

I personally quite enjoyed the park. It doesn't have a ton of rides (though the ones there are pretty cool), but its extensive studio tour is well done and something you don't see everywhere, plus the shows and 3D films on offer are top notch...it wouldn't really be a trip to LA without seeing a place like this.

But if you are travelling all that distance, then surely it makes sense to do everything you can/want to do whilst you are in LA? Couldn't you compromise (pay your own admission if you can)....say something along the lines of that you would really like to visit this park (Perhaps show her how impressive it is, number of coasters etc), and would rather visit on this trip rather than having to waste money flying back to LA to see the place at some point in the future?

Oh yeah, Im sure I can convince her to go to SFMM. Just I dont think she will go on a ton of rides. But she said she would go on California Screamin' at DCA so, there is hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the schedule!

My flight leaves out of Cinci at 8:55AM...so we should arrive in LAX around 10:30AM. Then a 30 minute drive to DL. So around 12PM we should be in DL/DCA.

Wednesday:

Check in and enjoy the parks!

Thursday:

8AM-6PM: Free time at DL and DCA

6PM: Dinner at Festival Arena

8:45PM: Private viewing of the fireworks

9PM-12AM: Enjoy Disneyland!!!!

Friday:

6-9AM: Breakfast at the Grand Californian Hotel

Whatever: Free park time until 12AM

6:45-9PM: Golden Vine Winery at DCA

Saturday:

I'm not sure what time we leave.

Knott's....I know it's probably lame to say, but if you do go, go for as short as possible and just do a credit run. The park is unspectacular, especially in comparison to DLR. Good luck, because they stagger the opening times, making it difficult to hit everything first thing in the morning, and get the hell out of there. The only two non-credits worth your time are Timber Mountain Log Ride and Calico Mine Ride.

are you serious? Knott's has some great shows and food!

I'd spend about a half a day there see a few shows and ride the coasters. If you want to eat stop by Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner its amazingly good food.

Mystery Lodge is freakin' sweet...the stunt show and the lime dancing...not so much. Xcel, Bullet and Pony are in the plus column. Ghost Rider is a bumpy two minute ride of pain, everybody is near some park with a boomerang and perilous is a death trap with no hugh splash with the new boats (The old one's would create a splash that hit the side of Johnny Rockets at time) I agree with Wes. Knott's is not a "Let's wake up so we can get there all day" park. Knott's is a "hey look, isn't that Knott's over there?" park.

Mystery Lodge is freakin' sweet...the stunt show and the lime dancing...not so much. Xcel, Bullet and Pony are in the plus column. Ghost Rider is a bumpy two minute ride of pain, everybody is near some park with a boomerang and perilous is a death trap with no hugh splash with the new boats (The old one's would create a splash that hit the side of Johnny Rockets at time) I agree with Wes. Knott's is not a "Let's wake up so we can get there all day" park. Knott's is a "hey look, isn't that Knott's over there?" park.

I'm ready to take on any 'rough' wooden coaster, man I just had a freaking HORRIBLE ride in the front car of the Beast last night. I'm leaving tomorrow! Can't wait!

-JZ

...so we should arrive in LAX around 10:30AM. Then a 30 minute drive to DL.

That drive will be at least an hour.

Haha, I just realized that post.

What? No, there can't be any traffic in Atlanta at 1PM. We should get to the park at 2PM!

And we sat for an hour

One thing I need help on is transportation from Grand Californian to Knott's! Does anyone know of a shuttle or an Anaheim bus service that would stop by both, or in the vicinity of both?

Thanks so much for the help, guys. I shall reward with great pictures!

Oh...and video!

-J "6AM...getting stuff and heading out..." Z

^L.A Bus will take you from from the ped. entrance at Disney (Harbor Blvd) to right across the street from Knott's. 15-20 min bus ride if you want to go to public transit route. It's the cheapest way to go. A buck 25 each way, shuttles are availible, but they're considerably higher.

Cool thing about Xcelerator IMO is that though not as fast as Dragster, the launch is slightly more intense. You'll notice a difference

I'll second that, Xcelerator is awesome!

Since I have only been to Knott's out of those parks, I can only comment on that. I say do Xcelerator first, in case it breaks down. It went down frequently throughout the day when I was there. Same goes for Montezooma's Revenge. When I went two summers ago, Silver Bullet was a kid magnet. Lot's of screaming and loudness, lol. Have fun!

Hey guys!

I'm sad to report I've returned from Disney. What an incredible experiance. By far my best vacation and three days spent away from home. The charm, thrills, accomodations, food, service, everything was perfect. Unfortunately, I was not able to get over to Knott's. When I called Knott's, they said the only means of transportation for me to get from Grand Cali to Knott's, was a cab. I didn't really want to make it a hassle to get from here to there by a certain time. Things were going on and dates were already made! And besides, I'm 10 minutes from Tower of Terror, Indy and Cali Screamin'...why the heck would I leave?!

Wow, where do I start?! I took hundreds of photos, over 50 minutes of video...and all these rides, hotels, pools, attractions, and stories to report!

I'm suffering a bit from jet lag at the moment, so I'll give a brief preview.

-Indiana Jones: Eye of Forbidden Temple absolutely blew me away. Holy crap. What an amazing ride! The amount of detail put into every square inch of the ride left me breathless! Best non coaster ride anywhere!

-California Screamin': I totally understand how this is similar to Maverick. Wow, what a nice coaster. A powerfull launch, insane airtime! a forcefull loop, music, and everything you would want all packed into one coaster. One of my favorite coasters now.

-Tower of Terror: Why are people saying WDW's is the 'good tower'? Or am I getting this mixed up?! This ride is freaking AWESOME! Forget Drop Tower, Giant Drop, or Demon Drop....ToT has surprise drops, S&S space shot moments, and .......JUST A SEATBELT! Best drop ride of all time!!!

Oh...and Dolewhip rocks

Matterhorn...one of the most beautifully landscaped rides I've seen.

Ah, Disneyland...

The best rapids ride of all time. Rapidsnerd, this is the holy grail.

Mmm...Screamin'!

That's all for now, folks

-JZ

California Screamin': I totally understand how this is similar to Maverick. Wow, what a nice coaster. A powerfull launch, insane airtime! a forcefull loop, music, and everything you would want all packed into one coaster. One of my favorite coasters now.

And the ride is a shadow of its former self. It used to have a much more forcefull loop and air time. That was before Disney trimmed the ride.

Too bad about Knotts, a cab is not the only way to get there. You could have taken public transport and if you asked the person at the front desk of the Grand CA, I am sure they would have told you how to get there.

Glad you had fun, cant wait for your Photo TR!

California Screamin': I totally understand how this is similar to Maverick. Wow, what a nice coaster. A powerfull launch, insane airtime! a forcefull loop, music, and everything you would want all packed into one coaster. One of my favorite coasters now.

And the ride is a shadow of its former self. It used to have a much more forcefull loop and air time. That was before Disney trimmed the ride.

I know they have the MCBR's, and they do have one of those magnetic LIM-esque things before each, but the MCBR's were off the whole time, and I didn't feel like we were being slowed down before either! The loop was forcefull, and the airtime hills threw me out of my seat every time!

But that first hill in the front seat is where it's at

It didn't get trimmed much, but there are permanent magnetic trims right before the loop and before the final bunny hills now. Those used to be just as intense as the hypercoaster ones.

Glad you had fun, don't hold back on the photos!