TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster crash at Frihedens Tivoli in Denmark

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will end the ride if not most of the park.

This accident is the ride's fault, and im sure the GP can notice that. People won't return to the park or go there. The park will have no sucess opening the ride back up (even if they do, no one in the GP will ride it) and the park will be millions in debt until they can sue or win a lawsuit or some form of payment from RideTek.

Well I just saw the news, and apparently the accident hasn’t stopped people from visiting the park throughout the weekend. We’ll see what happens next, I really don’t hope they close down the park, ‘cause it’s a nice little place.

This accident is the ride's fault, and im sure the GP can notice that. People won't return to the park or go there. The park will have no sucess opening the ride back up (even if they do, no one in the GP will ride it) and the park will be millions in debt until they can sue or win a lawsuit or some form of payment from RideTek.

Son of Beast/Kings Island? Steel Dragon 2000/Nagashima Spa Land? Both of those coasters had some pretty significant and widely-reported accidents, both coasters reopened, and both parks suffered essentially no drops in attendance. Japan is THE most superstitious country in the world when it comes to ride accidents, and if people will still ride Steel Dragon 2000 there, people will still ride this coaster if it reopens.

^I agree, if it re-opened then everyone involved in the construction and maintainence of the ride would have to have agreed it was safe - although they must have done that before this crash aswell...

I honestly don't think this looks good for this company though, the park can recover (they have plenty of other rides!) but if they've only ever built one other coaster and this one has gone so badly wrong then people are not going to have a lot of confidence in them!

Once we know the cause of the accident (after the investigation) then I think we can decide where the blame lies, but as I said, it is not looking good for the Manufacturer!

Matt

(100th Post)

Son of Beast/Kings Island? Steel Dragon 2000/Nagashima Spa Land? Both of those coasters had some pretty significant and widely-reported accidents, both coasters reopened, and both parks suffered essentially no drops in attendance. Japan is THE most superstitious country in the world when it comes to ride accidents, and if people will still ride Steel Dragon 2000 there, people will still ride this coaster if it reopens.

Both of those rides happened in huge parks with tons of other attractions. And none of them actually "fell off the tracks and slammed into the ground" as the news is reporting on this one. I just don't see the park reopening this ride or anyone wanting to ride it again.

Both of those rides happened in huge parks with tons of other attractions. And none of them actually "fell off the tracks and slammed into the ground" as the news is reporting on this one. I just don't see the park reopening this ride or anyone wanting to ride it again.

Hang on. There have been previous incidents where small parks have suffered ride malfunctions and been able to carry on their business. People still ride the Twister at Lightwater Valley which had a major malfunction circa 2001 which resulted in fatal injuries to one of the riders.

No doubt this is gonna cause some negative press for the park, but in their defence, they have been very responsible about how they have dealt with this accident. They have been very honest and open so far about what has happened, and what is being done, and what the future may hold for the ride. Perhaps that is a reflection of the culture there, but I can't think of many parks that would have the balls the release a statement in the manner that this one reads.

I'll be interested to see what the final report into this says. It's very tragic for the unlucky people who were injured, and my sympathy goes out to them because this was a very rare mechanical failure.

^ Im still stuck on this being a new ride, and now people aren't going to go to the park to ride the new attraction, which would be an attendance drop. It's not "Lets go to the park and ride the new ride" it's "Did you hear the new ride at the park crashed and fell off the tracks"

Also, if they do not re-open the ride (I don't know if Denmark has any legal or official coaster regulations) then they have a useless multi-million dollar pile of metal that is possibly just scrap metal now

I'm thinking more and more the park will re-open the ride, but again they are stuck this entire year if not more with having a spinning wild mouse and a 20 year old Pinfari coaster with a small loop. That will not attract teenagers or thrill seekers who would of been attracted with Cobra, and gives the park an awful "I want to come here again" feeling, because this was the best ride in the park. It's like taking Ravine Flyer 2 out of Waldameer, there's no thrill coasters or a reason for anyone to visit who's looking for a thril (Except people going for credits).

I was shocked when I read this. I doubt the company will be making any more coasters after this. This definitely can't be good for the park. As for the fate of the ride, I honestly think that it will remain closed for the rest of the year and reopen next year. The park should give it a new name so the GP forgets about Cobra's accident. Hey, the new name might trick some people.

I was shocked when I read this. I doubt the company will be making any more coasters after this. This definitely can't be good for the park. As for the fate of the ride, I honestly think that it will remain closed for the rest of the year and reopen next year. The park should give it a new name so the GP forgets about Cobra's accident. Hey, the new name might trick some people.

That would be awfully smart of them, along with a new paint job. Some may see it as "shadowing" and trying to hide the accident however.

I read that earlier today. ^

It's not RideTek's fault at all. They designed Cobra, and that was it. The ride itself was built by Sartori, so since it crashed I would point fingers at the guys who built it, as opposed to the guys who drew the concept up.

The whole "bolts-being-changed-before-the-crash" leads me to believe that it's only the fault of the mechanics who did the swapout. Maybe the trains aren't strong enough to handle a roll-back out of an Immelman, but if the new bolts weren't tight enough the trains going to end up falling down.

I read that earlier today. ^

The whole "bolts-being-changed-before-the-crash" leads me to believe that it's only the fault of the mechanics who did the swapout. Maybe the trains aren't strong enough to handle a roll-back out of an Immelman, but if the new bolts weren't tight enough the trains going to end up falling down.

I'm guessing it was a mix of both concepts there. I'm guessing the people in charge would of tested a "what if a rollback occured" atleast once.

That is standard practice, isn't it?

The link says that the train broke on the lift hill. I'm sure after the lift hill it rolled just fine down that first drop, then lost so much speed because of the breakage, it couldn't make it over the immelman.

Is it possible that all that was holding these trains together was 2 pieces of pipe, 1 bolt and a locking pin? Or 1 bolt, a lock washer and nut? Eek!

I'm guessing that picture with the tube is just a bumper sticking out front of the first car, like pretty much every coaster has.

Tow-bars can get a lot of brief, sharp force on them hitting the base of a chain lift, I bet something didn't get secured properly and came loose there.

I assume that this coaster uses just one train; but regardless, I thought it was weird that (according to what I've seen in the on-ride video) there's no catwalk for the lift hill. Even if you're not expecting a safety cut-out or a block section stop that you would still need a catwalk for the maintenance crew to inspect the chain everyday.

Hmm, this is weird. If the train separated like that picture indicates, that still doesn't explain why the car that broke away completely fell off of the track. It seems like there would have to be multiple failures that occurred at the same time, something had to happen to the wheel assemblies.