TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Need "first coaster" suggestion for paranoid noob

I'd say Ninja, it's thrilling but not threatening.

I'm bad the other way, I don't even mention coasters because I'm too scared that would wreck my chances.

I was at Cedar Point in 2005, and this girl got on next to me in the front row on Raptor and the first she said was: "are you one of those coaster freaks". I said no of course because she was good looking, and better still we were both staying at Hotel Breakers. Totally killed my coastering for the day but I still had fun.

When will I come out of the coaster closet, when I want to stop having realtionships with girls.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mummy @ USH! He'll hardly even realize he went on a roller coaster.

Pony Express might be a good one too. It's got a unique seating style, launched, and is incredibly boring. So it might help build a sense of security if he can handle a launch and a "weird" riding style.

Before, I used to be scared of coasters. My first real coaster was Trailblazer at Hershey and after the first ride, I liked it. A year later I rode it again and hated it. A few years later I was on a class trip and I really wanted to get over my fear of coasters so I got on Lightning Racer. As I was going up the lift I couldn't beleive how high I was up, but then I came to the first drop. I was so freakin' scared of how steep it was that I almost wanted to never ride them again. But toward the end of the ride I started to like it and that's when it clicked.

Since then I always wanted to ride them.

I also have a friend who is also afraid of coasters and heights, but I kinda want her to get over her fears so she could see what she's been missing.

Well, I've never been to the Cali parks ( )

However, I suggest Ninja. Arrow suspended coasters are fun, smooth, and thrilling enough without being over-the-top "holy crap" type of thing for a first time rider.

I got my friend who was scared out of his mind of coasters on Top Gun/Flight Deck @ KI and after that he was down with coasters...

I have been entertaining the sadistic idea of just putting the guy on Xcelerator and waving bye-bye with a smile.

Be sure to post a Photo Trip Report if that happens!

On a serious note, I think along with others that Silver Bullet would be nice to start out on. Not intense at all, very smooth and not too forceful. Nothing really big or anything that really stands out on it. Just perfect.

On the other hand, contrary to what I said earlier, sometimes you need to give them a "baptism of fire" to assure them that everything's cool. A few years back, my daughter---though she liked coasters---was terrified of Goliath at SFMM because of the tall drop. (In fact, Diana even rode X before she rode Goliath and called me after the ride to tell me!) When they went to the park and got in line for Goliath, she'd wait with them, then just walk through the train and wait at the exit.

One time, as Diana passed through the train, a friend sat her down and stapled her---she was going, whether she liked it or not.

Today, Goliath is one of her favorites, and she does not regret that fateful day she first rode.

Eric

I would drive a couple hours and go to State Line and ride Desperado at Buffalo Bills. I think if he doesn't crap his pants on that ride then he's good enough to keep.

Of course, you can always come out to Arizona and check out the amazing P.O.S. "theme park" we have out here and thank god that you live a lot closer to better theme parks then us poor Zonies.

Jimmy "triple digit temperature for 2 solid weeks so far" Bo

Well...you have to find out does he get vertigo when he rides coasters or does he have a fear of heights.

I dated a guy who cannot even go on the freaking rocket ships in Disney w/o getting sick (sad). Of course he (lovingly?) referred to my pastime of amusement parks as an excuse to not go out to see the world.

The moral of that story is that if people don't enjoy it...they usually end up being mean and mocking amusement parks.

So...

If he doesn't get sick...then throw him on Superman at MM...he might find the launch to be loads of fun and it is pretty tame after that.

Montezooma is insane! No way am I gonna launch a first-timer!

I have been entertaining the sadistic idea of just putting the guy on Xcelerator and waving bye-bye with a smile.

My first "real" coaster was the Incredible Hulk at IOA in all it's launching and 6-inversion glory (before that, I'd never been on anything more thrilling than Space Mountain). Well, I survived, and an enthusiast was born.

So, I say go for Xcelerator. Obviously it's doesn't have the inversions, but it's got the intense launch, and if his pants are still dry after that, he should be fine on everything else.

I think the consensus is not too heavy, not too light, something moderately thrilling without inversions maybe.

I like this topic, it made me think about what not negotiables I have in the relationship stakes.

I'm also shocked, saddened, and amazed that George Clooney is scared of rollercoasters, or is it Bruce Willis, or maybe Johhny Depp?

In all serious, I hope it goes well for you, Dcody (but I can't get the possible headlines out of my head "Hollywood Identity Seeks Relationship Advice on Coaster Nerd Forum").

-Silver Bullet

-California Screamin'

-Ninja

...and I can't believe I'm saying this...

-Mummy at USH.

All of them seem like a "big coaster", only to provide smooth, graceful rides (for lack of a better word). You want him to walk off of the ride saying, "Wow, that wasn't as bad as I thought!"

Another part of me says just go with the Xcelerator idea. I wasn't a coaster guy until my brother tricked me into riding Viper at SFMM. It's just best to send him straight to the big leagues--if he can perform, he's in. If not, we might have a problem on our hands.

-Jahan

I'll have to go with the "tame thrills" consensus and say Ninja, California Screamin'...etc. I know when I "got into" coasters, it was still a little while till I hit the "no fear" status for coasters.

Oh and BTW

DCody wrote:

(I also showed him my Behemoth/Ravine Flyer Trip itinerary while exclaiming things like "Look, this park has a MotoCoaster!" I am a really bad date.)

BAD DATE? If only I could go on a date with a girl like that .

If you want to gradually introduce him into the world of roller coasters, one thing that seems to freak people out the most is the lifts and 1st drops. Find a roller coaster that is launched and doesn't have a big drop and go from there. Something like Pony Express or Montezooma at Knotts or even Mummy at USH or California Screamin' at DCA may be a good place to start. If he likes them, then move onto the other more intense rides like Xcelerator, and then try Silver Bullet. Just don't cut his enthusiasm short by slapping him on Ghostrider in an axle seat or riding the Boomerang or anything like that!

A few short years ago a friend of mine had never been on a roller coaster before in his life as he was terrified of them. However, after seeing countless old ladies and young kids walking off of Rock N Roller Coaster with smiles on their faces, he decided he needed to bite the bullet and ride. Without a lift hill to see how high up he was and without a first drop to produce those stomach butterflies, he was fine. Now he's been on almost 600 coasters.

Mummy @ USH! He'll hardly even realize he went on a roller coaster.

But not thinking they went on a coaster won't help in the long run. My wife rides BTMR over and over at DL. It is her absolute favorite thing to do there. However, she is petrified of coasters. I figured out a long time ago that it's wrong to keep pressing the issue. She did have a great time last week zip-lining in Honduras, so maybe she's starting to come around.

People have irrational fears and it's that simple. I learned a long time ago that you can't make someone overcome their fears.

How about Kingda ka? LMAO! Joking,

But I suggest "Scorpion" at Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay, Fl. Pretty mild ride.

Or maybe "Flying unicorn" at Universal's IOV? Yea, it's kinda kiddie, but it's a good start.

http://www.rcdb.com/id703.htm

I would've suggested "python" at Busch Gardens, but they shut down that coaster to make way for some stupid jungala exibit.

^You might want to read the very first post of this thread.

Anyway, as a person who became hooked on coasters by getting the hell scared out of me on a large/mid-size looping inverted coaster, I'm going to have to recommend Silver Bullet. It's a good sized coaster that does a lot of intimidating maneuvers, but at the same time, the drop isn't that bad and neither is the intensity.

From my experience getting people to enjoy coasters when they don't, the best way is to get them on a somewhat short, very intense coaster. Your being in SoCal, I would suggest Xcelerator. You can say things like, "it's only over in 20 seconds," or, "it'll be over before you know it." Just do whatever you can to get him on and you shouldn't have a problem with other ones if he likes it. If he doesn't like it, well, use your imagination.

I popped my coaster cherry a couple years ago and have been addicted ever since. My GF however hadn't rode a coaster in a long time, and had acquainted them as 'kid stuff'. When things got more serious, she started to see my love for the thrill and agreed to ride them again. We took a trip down to Knotts and DL, she was VERY intimidated by the sights of Xcelerator, so I took her on Silver Bullet. Since it had been a long time since her last ride, she started to build a huge anxiety... since coastering is important to me, she was worried in her aging that she may not be able to handle the intensity.

Luckily the inverted coaster was familiar to her (Top Gun/FD at CGA), and that helped her. We still didnt ride Xcelerator together. She is hesitant of any ride that doesn't have OTSR, so I need to get her on a Goliath so she can witness the wonder of new restraints.

Good luck.

p.s. have you had the first kiss? maybe you can promise him a peck if he should face his fear

i went to six flags magic mountain with a girl on wednesday, i found out she HATES roller coasters when we were inside the park, i managed to get her on 9 out of the 14 roller coasters, including X2 at night hehe.

in conclusion, she still hates roller coasters and hated me for awhile for making her get on roller coasters, but she got over it, still had a good time. lol.

anyway, silver bullet is definitely a good choice.

well since your near knots... I say go down to Magic mountain or Disneyland Know then if you go to magic mountain I say either put him on ninja, or Goliath Ninja because its not the scary, and Goliath because its scary as hell, but if he survives that he can survive anything. If you go to disneyland... there is always space mountain, thunder mountain, matterhorn, and california screaming. Thats my advise good luck