TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Need "first coaster" suggestion for paranoid noob

I went on a date last night with a guy who has NEVER ridden a coaster. He's convinced that they're dangerous. However, using a potent combo of statistical evidence and God-given charm , I was able to convince him to give it a try.

(I also showed him my Behemoth/Ravine Flyer Trip itinerary while exclaiming things like "Look, this park has a MotoCoaster!" I am a really bad date.)

We're in SoCal, near Knotts and SFMM. I was thinking I could stick him on Jaguar first, since it's pretty chill. But then I thought "He's going to be scared no matter what. And he may never agree to go on another coaster. We should do something more intense so Jaguar doesn't wind up being his sole credit. I mean really, how sad would that be?"

Any suggestions? Not going on a coaster is not an option. I'm all about broadening horizons.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be direct, tell him to ride the coasters or kick him to the curb and tell him quit with the drama, it is not like he is going to win an Oscar or anything for the acting afraid bit...

Go to MM and go to Tatsu, if he REALLY likes you, he will ride it.

How can anyone think Tatsu is more dangerous than the car ride there?

If he will not ride it, I would say humiliation would be a good route to take. Point and laugh derisively at him while questioning his manhood.

How does that Oscar fit on all the coasters you ride? If I won one of those, I would take it everywhere.

Last month I went with a friend to Magic Mountain, who had never been on a "real" roller coaster, and hadn't been to any theme parks in over a decade. We went on X2 first, and he showed no fear. We went on many of the major coasters after that, too. Honestly, being afraid of a ride is childish.

I agree with the 'coon, X2!

Hmmmm....I would honestly try to get him to go on Silver Bullet. I think it has a good mix with drops and inversions without being too intense. It is also a really smooth coaster and well as being one of the largest coasters in the park. If he really likes it, I think it will give him more confidence in riding some of the more intense ones. I do not think Jaguar! would give him that confidence. Just do not show him the roller coaster documentary on the "Knocked Up" DVD because he may recognize Silver Bullet from that.

I'd say Montezuma's Revenge, California Screamin' at California Adventure is pretty tame and smooth and has a loop.

When I was in Jr High I went to Magic Mountain with a friend of mine who was terrified of coasters. He would wait at the exit while the rest of us got on. We forced him into the line for Viper with us. By the time we got to the stairs he had started crying. We kept him there and tried re-assuring him but it didn't work. He ended up leaving the line in tears. We got on the ride met up with him and he was still crying! Later that day we were able to convince him to do Revolution. He was nervous in line but he did it and he loved it! We ended up riding it like 6 times in a row because he didn't want to get off. So in short my third choice would be Revolution. If my puss of a friend could handle it I'm sure your new man can do it too.

X2.

But seriously, Silver Bullet sounds like the perfect coaster to start him off with. It's the coaster I started a couple of friends off with, both of whom now have no fear of any roller coaster. It's nice and smooth, big, but never too intense, and (in my opinion) way more fun than thrilling.

SFMM - Ninja, Gold Rusher, Percy?

DL/DCA - Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Mulholland Madness

As lame as some of these sound, they are what I'd start out with. If he loves you, he'll try at least a little. If you love him, you won't push him too hard and let him ease into things. Being in similar shoes to him, I'd appreciate it GREATLY.

Oh, and make sure Final Destination 3 isn't on cable .

As my first big ride was Goliath, that's what I would suggest. Of course, middle row. If you think about it, the height is intimidating, but the ride is actaully very tame, with a smaple of airtime and hard g's. If Knott's is the place, then I suggest, like everyone else, Silver Bullet. A good smooth B&M that offers the illusion of adrenaline without actually being terrifying.

If that doesn't work out dump him and get a real man. I'm open JK, but seriously, you need a guy who will ride all those crazy things with you.

You want to take him on something that is going to be really smooth and just plain fun. If he gets motion sick then don't take him on a ride that goes upside down. You don't want it to be too intense either.

Here's what I recommend:

-Silver Bullet

-Scream

-Goliath

-Batman: TR

Batman may be too intense, and all of them but Goliath go upside down. So the best choice may be Goliath, but then again that one I hear is pretty intense. I think I just convinced myself that Silver Bullet or Scream is the best choice.

Ooh, these are all good suggestions! Silver Bullet is good, it's really smooth and is more of flying sensation than a crap-your-pants-scary sensation.

Montezooma is insane! No way am I gonna launch a first-timer!

Scream and Ninja are also good ideas. Lord knows I can't get excited on Scream, no matter how hard I try.

I have been entertaining the sadistic idea of just putting the guy on Xcelerator and waving bye-bye with a smile.

I grew up on the old Russian ice slides, but all those were torn down to make way for Wal-Marts. Besides, I got splinters.

But a guy who hasn't ridden a coaster needs to start off slow. Something like X2 will swear him off of the darned things forever. Some of the suggestions here are good: Silver Bullet, Ninja...heck, even Gold Rusher. Jaguar! is a good one, too. Anything at Disneyland is OK.

He'll work his way up over time. You'll see.

Eric

^ Given that a Batman killed someone yesterday, that might not be the best choice.

People die in car wrecks every minute and that doesn't stop me from getting in my car.

Besides, that wasn't the ride itselfs fault.

just put him on the back seat of Goliath at SFMM. You can't get much worse then that, and maybe he'll enjoy it. I hated coasters, I would hesitate to ride anything when I was younger. Then I was forced on Great Bear (i was afraid of SooperDooperLooper) and loved it, and since then I just ride anything.

Just make sure he doesn't kill you while you're in line.

I wrote my story in another thread but my first BIG coaster scared me to the point I wouldn't ride them(steel force). If it weren't for my boyfriend forcing me on SooperDooperLooper and Great Bear at Hershey I'd still be a wimp. I never did make it on Storm Runner though but I did ride Great Bear 6 times before leaving the park.