TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Kemah Boardwalk 6/14/08

After landing in Houston, we made the drive to Kemah Boardwalk. Based on the reviews we've heard of Boardwalk Bullet and it's hollow seat dividers, we were expecting the worst.

Believe it or not, it actually wasn't that bad. It's still not my type of ride, but it didn't beat us up like we expected. Maybe it had something to do with the track work they had just done on it a few weeks prior? The most painful thing about it were the dispatch times. Gwazi at Busch Gardens Africa has always had the slowest wooden coaster loading procedures that we've seen, but the Boardwalk Bullet crew made them look fast. The BB crew was too busy eating and texting on their cell phones to be bothered dispatching the trains. This is the one time we wished for one train operation. While they took their sweet time checking the other train, we baked in the 100 degree sun on the brake run. We would've ridden more, but after 5 rides we were too fed up to keep riding. Thankfully there was no wait because I'd hate to see the length of the line when it gets busy!

Passing back through Houston, we stopped by the former Six Flags Astroworld site. You would never even know that there was an amusement park there since it's just an empty, grassy field.

To end the day, we stopped by ITZ in Houston. In order to get inside, you have to purchase a pizza buffet. You then have to pay again to go on the rides and play the games. We had the buffet and took a ride on the Itz Express coaster before hitting the road for our next destination in Arlington, TX.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Passing back through Houston, we stopped by the former Six Flags Astroworld site. You would never even know that there was an amusement park there since it's just an empty, grassy field.

Ok, I'm lost here. What exactly was the hot and heavy reason the park had to be leveled again? Whomever just HAD to tear Astroworld down, and now, 3 years later, the land is just sitting there, unused. Grrrrrrr......

Sue, sorry you had to pay so much to get the ITZ credit, but love you're dedication. Good TRs of late, too.

Just seeing that empty field sit there makes me pretty ticked...at least show some signs of something worthwhile going into that spot. At least the other parks that got sold off were preserved by some other company...

Nice TR! Sorry to here about the poor loading times at Kemah.

Ok, I'm lost here. What exactly was the hot and heavy reason the park had to be leveled again? Whomever just HAD to tear Astroworld down, and now, 3 years later, the land is just sitting there, unused. Grrrrrrr......

Sue, sorry you had to pay so much to get the ITZ credit, but love you're dedication. Good TRs of late, too.

I thought the biggest issue with Astroworld was not having it's own parking.

-James "Think of how much Six Flags makes on parking, and take that profit out of any parks operating budget..." Dillaman

AW leveled kills me as well! I pass by there almost daily.

Was my first job in 1978. I used to go every 2 weeks.

There are a few thoughts on the reason.

Burke made the call, and sited attendance and parking as the reasons.

Although it is true AW had a smaller attendance than many SF parks AW (if i remember right) also made 6-10 mil a year profit! Does attendance really matter if you are making that kind of profit? Parking was going to be a challenge because of the Reliant stadium build taking up much of the space the land had open. Their were several viable options though. There is tons of vacant land behind the park.

I think bottom line Burke knew he was on the way out. The stock holders, led by Snyder, were determined to see him out. He proclaimed he would get 150 mil for the land. The company was strapped for $$ and I believe he saw this sudden 150 mil income as a possible saviour for his job. It did not matter as days after the AW closure announcement came he was pink slipped out. The park was already being demolished.

In reality it ended up getting only 70 mil, and is sold, although the current owner barely even takes the time to get the grass cut. The city has to step in from time to time warning them.

Truly a very sad story of a demolished park in trade of a field.