TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

I live in Orlando so I visit the parks regularly, and by that I mean strictly Universal. I can completely see reasoning for the price increase for the Disneyland Resort (because it's awesome and laughably better), but definitely not WDW. I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars just to visit four theme parks which aren't even the best Disney has to offer. If they actually finished AK, updated the aging attractions at MK, and fixed DHS park identity problem, then I could see this price increase as reasonable. I don't count Fantasyland's expansion; its a pale counterattack to Harry Potter. All WDW is doing is cutting off the local market and relying too heavily on international and out-of-state tourists. I'm not a hater, I just miss the WDW of the 90's.

I find a lot of differences between disneyland and disneyworld. I belive that disneyworld edges out disneyland. Let me tell you why.

1.Each park has most of the same attractions, but some are better than the other.A good example would be pirates of the caribbean. The potc at disneyland blows disneyworlds out of the water, but the tower of terror at disneyworld is much better than disneylands version. It's a trade off.

2.Disneyworld has epcot, animal kingdom,disney studios and of course the magic kingdom.Disneyland has cali adventure and disneyland.

3.The only attractions that disneyland has that disneyworld does not is Mr toad,alice,storybook,monsters inc,and a few spinning rides from cali adventure,storybook....am I missing any more?

4. You can argue that disneyland has matterhorn,indiana jones, grizzly rapids,muholand madness(sp),aladdin, nemo subs,and california screaming.

But in the same argument, you can say that disneyworld has everest,dinosaur,prime evil whirl,rock n rollercoaster, nemo ride at epcot,river rapids ride at animal kingdom(name escapes me right now) and the indiana jones , nemo, and lion king shows. All equally good attractions. So besides alice, toad,storybook, and monsters inc(disneyworld is getting a monsters inc dark ride in a few years), disneyland has the exact same attractions as disneyworld has, but not as many.

5. Disneyworld has too many more attractions than I can list. You have all of the epcot attractions, animal kindom attractions, disney studios attractions, and a few different attractions at the magic kingdom like stitch, laugh floor, mickeys philler magic,transit ride, carousel of progress,country bears, and hall of presidents. A lot of things you can't find in disneyland.

6.Disneyworld is much more rounded, and has more of a resort feel to it. Don't get me wrong, I also love Disneyland and can't wait to get back out there, but Disneyworld just has a lot more to offer.

I will say that I like Disneyland park better than magic kingdom(it has a charm about it), but when you add in the 3 other parks, Disneyworld just has a lot more to offer.

Harry potter may be a nice addition to universal, but it's just one little area of that park. With disney, you have a whole (4) parks full of that.I hope to get out to universal to check out potterland, but I could never compare that to anything at disney. And I believe that I just read that universal is now raising there prices as well.

Animal kingdom is a work in progress. It's still a new park, but I can still spend all day in that park and still not be able to do it all. They have been adding onto it, and will continue. The same can be said for islands of adventure. I am not sure what you are talking about when you say that the disney studios has an identity problem. It's about movies and animation. Nothing confusing about that.

As far as aging attractions, universal and any other theme park for that matter, is just as guilty. Universal still has E.T and Jaws. The only attraction I recall universal redoing is back to the future. Disney is always updating the attractions. Just look at space mountain, small world, haunted mansion,star tours,tower of terror,spaceship earth..and lots more.

How can you compare the fantasyland expansion to potterland? It has not even been built yet. That's just like saying that intimidator 305 was gonna suck, before it was even open.

If your a local in orlando, they have the florida resident season passes and at a really good price as well. Just look here....

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/monthly-payment/?CMP=KNC-WDWFY10APPay_GOO&s_kwcid=TC|12632|annual%20pass||S||5093730803

I wish I lived in the area, so I could get that deal.

That comes out to (depending on what option you get) around or just over $100 per park. That's a great deal for what they have. You can't tell me that magic kingdom, epcot, disney studios, and even animal kingdom are not worth $100 each for a whole year(12 months). I am not sure how that is cutting off the local market?

Cedarpoint wants $112 for a season pass, or $160 for a platinum pass.

Universal wants $219 for the florida resident season pass. So they are about the same as disney when it comes to annual passes as seen here...

http://www.universalorlando.com/Tickets/Florida_Residents/floridaresidents.aspx?ComponentId=9185&SourcePageId=7805

@Thrillrider, I can understand your logic, but I probably feel this way because I've visited the parks so often that I've become desensitized by the "magic". Sadly, Disneyland is the only place left where I can still feel it, probably thanks to Walt's mystic presence in the park lol

Yes I know WDW has more attractions, but some of them just look outdated. But I'm happy the Magic Kingdom is starting to work on this, it's about time. As for Harry Pothead versus Fantasyland 2.0, I don't see how a slow omni-mover and themed restaurant can compare to the crazy WWOHP. But like you said, I guess we'll see.

Those evil tourists spend a hell of a lot of money at WDW on hotels, full-rate admission, food, and the like. I know which customers I'd cater the most to if it were my resort: The ones who spend the most money there.

True, but once the peak season ends, all that's left are locals and the few (smart) tourists. And I still couldn't afford spending $100 per park for an annual pass.

As for Disney's Hollywood Studios: I meant that ever since the park stopped being a working studio, and sections of the park located in the "studio" section became open to guests on foot (Streets of America), the park layout just doesn't make sense thematically, at least in my opinion. You'd have to know what the park used to be like to know what I mean.

Anyways, I can see the parks raising their tickets to coincide with the annual inflation rate (3%), but as Screamscape.com said, "it’s only a matter of “when” the world market says enough is enough and the barrier shatters in Orlando".

You know what's fun, I'm actually going to Disney tomorrow. Here's what I think's funny, for the same price as an annual premium passholder, I'd get to go down to Disney AND have my tickets expire, so guess what I'm getting... And I'm only going down for a week.

EDIT: Here's where I get ticked off at. First off, I'm a 17 year old boy going down there with 3 friends and one friend's family. I understand that Disney is "the happiest place on Earth" and I'm going with a bunch of my friends so I will have fun. But what I wouldn't mind pay nearly $600 for, is one park with the best coasters on the face of the planet. Soaring, Test Track, The "Triple Mountain Whammy", that's all fine. But rides like El Toro, Nitro, Stormrunner, Millennium Force, Talon, whatever. Yes, those aren't exactly kiddie rides, but "family friendly" should include the whole family.

^ That is true, but then it really starts to lose the whole "Family Friendly" feel if they install a huge, intimidating coaster.

Don't get me wrong, if they do install a huge, amazing, record setting coaster, I would want to come back. I went there when I was in 3rd grade, and of course I loved it, but we also went to Universal and IOA and, well frankly, I liked it more. We even went back a few years ago before we took a cruise. I got on Hulk that time (only ride Dragons last time) and of course it made me love it even more. Me, my Mom, and my brother are going to take another Orlando trip within the next few years, and we have already started planning it, and there hasn't been a single mention of WDW at all

You know what's fun, I'm actually going to Disney tomorrow. Here's what I think's funny, for the same price as an annual premium passholder, I'd get to go down to Disney AND have my tickets expire, so guess what I'm getting... And I'm only going down for a week.

EDIT: Here's where I get ticked off at. First off, I'm a 17 year old boy going down there with 3 friends and one friend's family. I understand that Disney is "the happiest place on Earth" and I'm going with a bunch of my friends so I will have fun. But what I wouldn't mind pay nearly $600 for, is one park with the best coasters on the face of the planet. Soaring, Test Track, The "Triple Mountain Whammy", that's all fine. But rides like El Toro, Nitro, Stormrunner, Millennium Force, Talon, whatever. Yes, those aren't exactly kiddie rides, but "family friendly" should include the whole family.

Utopia doesn't exist. Move along.

Yes I know WDW has more attractions, but some of them just look outdated. But I'm happy the Magic Kingdom is starting to work on this, it's about time. As for Harry Pothead versus Fantasyland 2.0, I don't see how a slow omni-mover and themed restaurant can compare to the crazy WWOHP. But like you said, I guess we'll see.

Look, I like the Harry Potter ride as much as the next guy, but the glaring and gaping holes as to how Universal still doesn't get what makes a "theme park" are evident throughout the land. That they went for a lot of show and flash, but very little substance. Give HP a few years to cool down and you'll be able to do everything in it in an hour on a busy day. It is new and people are checking it out, but what real replay value is there? The Potter ride is good, Dueling Dragons will have an audience, but.... the shops? A glorified dollar store that is 1000% more costly? Average candy shop. Average merch store. The wand store will be the only thing that people will probably have to check out, and that is only if they do go about adding new effects.

As for now, you're left with small streets, cramped shops, a "show" store with a longer wait than any of the rides combined... I'm wholly underwhelmed by the experience to be honest.

What it seems you don't understand is that the Fantasy Land expansion is far larger than you're giving it credit... You're completely neglecting to mention any of the character spots. I see you're pretty young and if you've not experienced Disney as an adult, through the eyes of a kid, then you're missing out on one of the best things about it. Sure, you know that a dude is in a suit dancing for your entertainment, but that 4 year old doesn't. That is where the magic comes back, kids help you retain an innocence lost.

I'm not but a couple years older than you, but my 4 year old niece is huge into Auroa, Belle and Ariel. She sees a glimpse of them at the park and her face lights up. A good deal of what this expansion is adding is a small group atmosphere with the characters in their various sections. I'm going off of memory but I think it was something about a surprise birthday party for Auroa where the kids make cards/gifts to give. You're telling me that little kids will not eat this shit up? I cannot imagine just how ecstatic she will be to not only just take pictures and say hello to these characters, but actually interact and socialize with...

I know this is if everything they've promised comes to fruition, and it hasn't been completed yet.... so time will tell.

Glorified meet & greets for little children are fine and dandy, so long as you provide everyone else with something to do. Something that justifies constant price hiking. Disney is completely failing to provide that "something" with the FL expansion, and many other recent attractions.

And I'm not sure what your beef with WWoHP is, but it turned out exactly as advertised. What additional substance were you expecting? Yes, it's crowded, but that was to be expected. At least it includes a cutting-edge E ticket attraction, unlike the new FL.

I already know that all of the Disney fanboys and girls are going to hate me, but that's fine. I just can't justify spending that kinda of money on a 3 day or more pass and then pay more to add park hopping. I'm sorry, Disney just doesn't have that much to offer the adult crowd without kids outside of reliving old memories of when he/she was a kid and his/her parents brought them to Disney. Is it worth it to bring the kids once, maybe. But when I can buy a pass to all six flags parks with parking for 95 dollars or all cedar fair parks with parking for 140 (preseason sales folks), even combined is cheaper than Disney as I'm out another 15 for parking (unless ones lightbulb goes off and one parks at a location that a certain disney bus picks you up and drops you off at the kingdom transpo center)

Call me crazy, but I want value for my dollars and I want to be able to stretch those dollars as far as I can. With Disney, that $600 year long pass is outrageous. Am I paying for a parade and fireworks, the ability to meet Mickey, and the opportunity to pay 3.50 for a soda? apparently so. Seriously, what is the top thrill attraction at Disney World, Space Mountain? At Epcot, Soar?, Animal Kingdom , Everest with a non working gorilla? Seriously, when will people wake up and realize they are paying too much? They probably have, but Disney does such a good job of hooking the kids on their product and then flashing disneyworld/land up many times during commercials on the disney channel that all the little munchkins do is beg and beg to go to Disneyworld/land and the parents give in so that they can see their children happy.

Bottom line is, a middle income family of four could easily drop three large on a one week trip to Disney which leaves that family of four with little other money to hit other parks or take mini vacations. And forget going to IOA or SW while you are there, you've done blown the stash on DW tickets. It's a one shot, shoot your wad for the year type of place. At least with CF and SF you get somewhat better value for your dollars, where they get you is in F&B and at least you can stand back up after getting bent over, at Disney, you stay bent over for several months after you get back.

I feel like Disney could open a whole new coaster-oriented theme park and still offer family friendly benefits while not excluding any part of the family.

Yes all of the kitschy Princess stuff is child friendly, but where's the 450-foot Intamin launcher? The 12.3 seconds of airtime brought to you by B&M? Disney, unless you absolutely down to your soul love it, is really subjective. If someone wants to pay $80 for a park that offers a couple of thrills, then let them. I, for one, enjoy paying $54.99 for a park with 6-7 of the greatest roller coasters I've ever ridden. Let's see what Disney could do for $80.

Bottom line is, a middle income family of four could easily drop three large on a one week trip to Disney which leaves that family of four with little other money to hit other parks or take mini vacations.

$3,000 really isn't that much for a vacation these days. I spent that for just coach airfare to Europe this summer for two people. And that isn't some overly extravagant, unusual thing. Millions of Americans do the same thing every year. If you honestly think Disney is way out of line with other vacations people take, then you just haven't priced many types of trips out lately.

^^^

Totally Agree 100%. I couldn't have worded it better myself.

Bottom line is, a middle income family of four could easily drop three large on a one week trip to Disney which leaves that family of four with little other money to hit other parks or take mini vacations.

Yes, me and my Mom are planning Orlando and we aren't even considering WDW as a destination. While the other parks may be a bit more (if you buy a week hopper or something) I think I would get more value for my money at places like Universal, IOA, SeaWorld, BGT, etc. They combine the amazing theming (maybe not as much as Disney) with actually thrilling coasters and rides, which is what I want right now at my age.

Call me crazy, but I want value for my dollars and I want to be able to stretch those dollars as far as I can. With Disney, that $600 year long pass is outrageous. Am I paying for a parade and fireworks, the ability to meet Mickey, and the opportunity to pay 3.50 for a soda? apparently so. Seriously, what is the top thrill attraction at Disney World, Space Mountain? At Epcot, Soar?, Animal Kingdom , Everest with a non working gorilla? Seriously, when will people wake up and realize they are paying too much? They probably have, but Disney does such a good job of hooking the kids on their product and then flashing disneyworld/land up many times during commercials on the disney channel that all the little munchkins do is beg and beg to go to Disneyworld/land and the parents give in so that they can see their children happy.

1. $600 for a whole year at 4 parks, is hardly outrageous.How is $100 per park for 12 months not a value?

2.When I go to Disney, I rarely catch the parades or fireworks. It's more about the attractions and the great time my daughter and family is having. My daughter was so happy, she was in tears when she saw goofy and pooh. I highly doubt many people will get as excited over harry potter.

3.You mentioned 1 ride at each park.Epcot alone has 3 or 4 e ticket attractions. You know...soaren, test track,mission space. You did not even mention Disney studios, where they have rock n rollercaoster, tower of terror, or lights motor action. I could go on and on about the many attractions at the magic kingdom. Animal kingdom has everest, kali river rapids, whirl, dinosaur, the safari,tree of life,many live shows. I don't see where you would find it a rip off to pay just over $100 a year for each park(plus 2 water parks)...not over $600.

4.Soda at Disney, is cheaper than most other theme parks...it's only $2.50 for the large size as seen here....

http://allears.net/menu/men_cr.htm not $3.50. And food at disney is 10x better and cheaper than anything you will find at 90% of the theme parks in america.

5. Free fast pass...enough said.

Or you can go into ice station cool and get FREE soda.

5.I have just as much fun as my daughter does at Disney.I would choose to ride splash mountain or thunder mountain, before I would want to go to a park that has cookie cutter coasters. I find Disney to be a great value. The last time I took my daughter and girlfriend, it cost us just over $1200 for the whole week. That included our food(2 meals and a snack per person every day), hotel,park hopper tickets,extra magic hours, mini golf, transportation to the parks and the airport. How much would the same type of trip cost us to do the 2 parks at universal for a week?

6. I like universal studios as well, but I am not a harry pothead fan, so the new area with the exception of the NEW ride is not that exciting.I think I watched maybe a half hour of one of his films and turned it off. Disney has areas of the park, and characters that people have grown up with and continue to do so with the new cartoons as well.Unless your a harry potter fan, the new area is not too exciting.

The "new" area at universal is nice looking and all, but it just does not offer us anything exciting. The only new things that were added to the park was 1 new ride, and a bunch of new themed shops.

It sounds to me that your just not a disney person. It sounds like you would rather have the big coasters...and that's fine(I love the big coasters as much as the next guy), But to say that disney is a ripoff because it does not have 500 foot coasters is crazy. I know how much a disney trip is going to cost me before I sign the check, and nobody including disney twists my arm to sign it either. The reason I do, is because My ENTIRE family has a blast when we go down to disney (not just the little one), and we ALL look forward to the next trip.

We did a family trip to cedarpoint a few years ago, and left feeling ripped off. There were 4 of us that went, and when it was all said and done, we spent more for a 3 day trip to cedarpoint, than we would have spending a week at disney.But we got to stand in long slow moving lines, get soup kitchen quality food at 4 star prices, lousy service, a hotel room that was old and outdated for $300 a night, when the motel six had an identical better room for much less, very few GOOD entertainment options,very few attractions the whole family can ride together...it seemed like you had to be a giant in order to ride anything.

My point being, disney is a great value if you sit and think about it.

Glorified meet & greets for little children are fine and dandy, so long as you provide everyone else with something to do. Something that justifies constant price hiking. Disney is completely failing to provide that "something" with the FL expansion, and many other recent attractions.

And I'm not sure what your beef with WWoHP is, but it turned out exactly as advertised. What additional substance were you expecting? Yes, it's crowded, but that was to be expected. At least it includes a cutting-edge E ticket attraction, unlike the new FL.

THere is a difference between a thrill park, and a theme park. Disney is always a theme park first with thrill rides. While places like Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc. are thrill parks with a smattering of theme...

My 'beef' with WWoHP is that it really isn't what it was/still being advertised as. It isn't a new theme park, or even a park within a park.... and the words only help exaggerate how small it really is. Forbidden Journey is cool, Dragons will always be a great coaster. There are missteps throughout the entire area from not just theme stand points but crowd control and comfort. It is overly narrow, there is very little to no shade, and filled with mostly useless building facades. These problems are only exasperated by the crowds. The ride is great, but I just feel like the ball was dropped every where else, and that is my opinion, like it or not...

As far as cutting edge goes, who knows what the Little Mermaid ride will be like... and if you do not consider that to be an E-Ticket, then you might want to reclassify what one really is.

1. $600 for a whole year at 4 parks, is hardly outrageous.How is $100 per park for 12 months not a value?

629/6 = 104.83 per park 104.83/12 months = 8.73 per month * 9( ok we will make it 8) typical operating months for other parks in the same climate type = 69.84 * 6 parks = 419.04

So, 471.42 per adult is 3 times as much as a platinum pass at CF which inludes water parks/parking and over 3.5 times more for the highest level SF pass which inludes water parks and parking

Of course if you make 100k+ a year, then it might not be that expensive.

3.You mentioned 1 ride at each park.Epcot alone has 3 or 4 e ticket attractions. You know...soaren, test track,mission space. You did not even mention Disney studios, where they have rock n rollercaoster, tower of terror, or lights motor action. I could go on and on about the many attractions at the magic kingdom. Animal kingdom has everest, kali river rapids, whirl, dinosaur, the safari,tree of life,many live shows. I don't see where you would find it a rip off to pay just over $100 a year for each park(plus 2 water parks)...not over $600.

I said top attraction

4.Soda at Disney, is cheaper than most other theme parks...it's only $2.50 for the large size as seen here....

http://allears.net/menu/men_cr.htm not $3.50. And food at disney is 10x better and cheaper than anything you will find at 90% of the theme parks in america.

I will concede the soda price, however I've paid over 10 bucks for a burrito and taco at Epcot, and it was ok but not the best food ever made on planet earth, I've had better. The prices on Disney food isn't all that much cheaper than a typical theme park, at least the drink prices are reasonable, but still, 2.00 should be the top end for ANY park.

5.I have just as much fun as my daughter does at Disney.I would choose to ride splash mountain or thunder mountain, before I would want to go to a park that has cookie cutter coasters. I find Disney to be a great value. The last time I took my daughter and girlfriend, it cost us just over $1200 for the whole week. That included our food(2 meals and a snack per person every day), hotel,park hopper tickets,extra magic hours, mini golf, transportation to the parks and the airport. How much would the same type of trip cost us to do the 2 parks at universal for a week?

Exaclty, you are part of the family crowd in this instance and not the thrill seeker crowd. I didn't mention preferring US or IOA, I think it's a rip off too. Seaworld/BGT have the far better value IMO especially when they offer the come back anytime during your vacation (7-14 days depending on the promo) option for what 10 bucks more, and sometimes the same price? AND includes BGT with FREE transportation to BGT. Something tells me that 1200 didn't include airfare. My figure included airfare. A 7 day, park hopper gate price for 2 adults and one kid is 880 plus the tax, plus parking if applicable. But since you've asked about 7 days at universal...976 for hotel(fairfield inn) and park admission with 7 days at universal. Disney vacation package....cheapest "disney" hotel for the same october dates and tickets w/hopper was 1400 for the disney movie hotel. Staying at the Holiday Inn, Maingate, 1200. Parking isn't a must as transportation from many of the hotels is a perk or part of the "resort" fee. Then, add on the transportation costs.

6. I like universal studios as well, but I am not a harry pothead fan, so the new area with the exception of the NEW ride is not that exciting.I think I watched maybe a half hour of one of his films and turned it off. Disney has areas of the park, and characters that people have grown up with and continue to do so with the new cartoons as well.Unless your a harry potter fan, the new area is not too exciting.

I've never read a HP Book, it's of no interest to me, and neither is IOA/US. I've been outspoken in a thred on IOA attendance about why they don't pack in the crowds, bottom line, outside of potter, their attractions are outdated and boring. ET, Twister, Jaws? Those are way oldschool attractions that won't bring in the tween crowd.

It sounds to me that your just not a disney person. It sounds like you would rather have the big coasters...and that's fine(I love the big coasters as much as the next guy), But to say that disney is a ripoff because it does not have 500 foot coasters is crazy. I know how much a disney trip is going to cost me before I sign the check, and nobody including disney twists my arm to sign it either. The reason I do, is because My ENTIRE family has a blast when we go down to disney (not just the little one), and we ALL look forward to the next trip.

How'd you guess that I'm not a Disney fan? and even if I had kids, I would have to spend many a night justifying the cost vs. the kid's wants. I'm glad you have fun when you go, it's not my cup of tea and I expected the fanboys and girls to rip me a new one for not liking the Disney price structure/value for dollars paid, and that's ok, we all have our opinoins and when you find that 500 foot coaster, let me know.

We did a family trip to cedarpoint a few years ago, and left feeling ripped off. There were 4 of us that went, and when it was all said and done, we spent more for a 3 day trip to cedarpoint, than we would have spending a week at disney.But we got to stand in long slow moving lines, get soup kitchen quality food at 4 star prices, lousy service, a hotel room that was old and outdated for $300 a night, when the motel six had an identical better room for much less, very few GOOD entertainment options,very few attractions the whole family can ride together...it seemed like you had to be a giant in order to ride anything.

Thats why you don't stay onsite, that's why I would never stay onsite at disney or IOA, especially during the peak season. Sandusky has several sleepable hotels for a LOT less money as you've pointed out. B&M recently raised their ride height requirements, the park didn't do it and when you go to CP, you expect a thrill park, not a family park, although they do have two little kids areas.

So all in all, if you are after a Disney family vacation where you are pampered and have your feet rubbed by Mickey and don't mind paying the price then cool. I'm not into its a small world anymore, I've grown out of all of that, but for someone who has a reason to go (reason=kid) then it would be worth it to them. In the meantime I'll keep my CF and SF passes which gets me into 24 parks (9.79 per park with parking) and be happy with them being open 8-9 months out of the year with Knotts being open all year.

don't take anything personally, it's not meant to be.

Edited by chadster

$3,000 really isn't that much for a vacation these days. I spent that for just coach airfare to Europe this summer for two people. And that isn't some overly extravagant, unusual thing. Millions of Americans do the same thing every year. If you honestly think Disney is way out of line with other vacations people take, then you just haven't priced many types of trips out lately.

FYI: I take about 10 trips a year, and worked in the hospitality industry for a long time, so I DO know a thing or two. And one of those things is value for my dollar. For example, In May, I took a 16 day trip to the east coast, total cost, 2k including air and car rental. Last month I spent 5 days in Southern Texas, total cost, 500.00, and this coming weekend, WoF, total projected cost = 300.00. All becuase I have season passes. Even calculating and dividing out the cost of the pass and adding that on to the cost of the trip, I might tack on 10 bucks a trip for CF and 5 for SF. When you go to Europe, you expect to pay a lot, heck mom spent 7k this past may, but comparing a trip to Europe to a trip to Disney is NOT an equal comparrison. Bottom line, I know how to take three 5-7 day vacations for what one Disney Vacation might cost, and can get to Mexico for a 4 to 5 day stay for less than 1k but no so sure I want to do that. So please, don't make assumptions about my knowledge.

not to be taken personally.

I also have to mention that a cedarfair pass costs $160. Cedarpoint is only open 4.5 months out of the year. So your paying about $35 a month for the pass.

A Disney pass is $531.00 for 12 months. That comes out to $37 a month.

I forgot to add that the disney season pass also includes 2 water parks as well on top of the 4 parks. If you look here...

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/florida-residents/

You will see that it is only $531 for an adult disney annual pass, and $479 for a child 10 and under disney annual pass. Just type in the zip code 32802. That is for 12 months. When it comes time to renew the pass, the price drops, and they also give you 2 or 3 free months as well.So your pass is good for 14-15 months.

I saw the 531 too, I assume I would have to pay the non-resident price since I don't live in Florida, unless the magic zip code is not verified by park personnel, which, would be awesome. I'm assuming you've used this trick? Sea World, BG, Universal all do the same thing and it's kind of irritating, but at the same time, good marketing to get the locals in. If the zip code trick works for Disney, I wonder if it works for BG/SW, if so, for 99.00 I'm signing up!

As I don't just use my Cedar Fair pass at Cedar Point, and use it at KD, KI, Knotts, CGAdv, and WoF annually, and actually get it for less than 140 at WoF each season with early renewal, it works out to pretty good value for me, especially since it lets me into the Haunts (except for Knotts and there's is worth the extra 35 to get in). This year I visited Dorney twice for even more value.

I've already visited 5 Six Flags parks this year on multiple days with my Season Pass and will visit 2 more by years end, so for my initial cost of 105.00(59.00 plus 45 for parking), I'm saving a boat load of money (I chose not to add the water parks, which was only like 3 for 30 more as several SF parks include them) All in all, at 35.00 for admission to SF parks (if bought online, then you have to pay processing) times 20 visits a year and 15 to park, I feel I get my money's worth and then some. Same with Cedar Fair parks, around 35 to 40 to get in with discounts and 10 to park times about 12 to 15 visits a year and I feel comfortable in the price. All in all, I think Six Flags' new price structure is playing well into their hands, pre-season pass to all parks was 49, for 10 more you got bring a friend free days, passholder appreciation weekends with ERT, and lots of coupons to get people in for 14.95. and free concerts. The downside, Six Flags got themselves into trouble and haven't been adding many new e-tickets and instead they've been really focused on ramping up their maintenance program(much needed) and re-theming (Texas Giant being the exception to the money train) So next year, they might up the price a bit, however, I get 20% off when the pre-sales come online in September for visiting 5 times. Their fanatics program offers nice perks if used.

Of course all of the season passes offer other perks like discounts in the gift shops and on F&B which helps when you want to buy stuff on the fly.

I totally get what you are saying and maybe if I lived in the area or closer and had a family with younger children, I could justify the price of Disney. But for me, I just don't see myself going their all the time. I like to visit many different parks and gather many experiences throughout the year.

When you go to Europe, you expect to pay a lot, heck mom spent 7k this past may, but comparing a trip to Europe to a trip to Disney is NOT an equal comparrison.

Going to seasonal Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks is also not an exact substitute for staying at a true resort like Walt Disney World. But all three types of trips compete for the same vacation time and money. So, it's fair to point out that Disney is generally not the most expensive way to go for a trip.

It really comes down to this, there are Disney people and non disney people. I am a Disney person, a pass is essentially a necessity and Disneyland is one of my favorite reasons I live in California. Disney does make family rides, but they are damn fun rides in general, and the theming alone makes them become world class attractions. Did you know that every train, car, detail, or whatever are checked at Disney all the time. Case in point, during CM training we went to attractions backstage and learned that each horse on the carousel is individually painted and touched up so that they never appear worn. I work at the park and I still go there on days off. To make a long story story short disney is the best park, chain, place, destination, theme/amusement park anywhere.

The Disneyland AP holder FOREVER Ghost

Bottom line: different strokes for different folks. There's no right or wrong when it comes to how one plans their vacation.

Exactly.

I'd also be willing to bet that the highest percentage of negative feedback involves individuals who somehow fail to utilize the greatest tool of our generation....the internet. In this day in age, if you can't figure out a way to maximize your vacation dollar at WDW, then you're just not trying hard enough.

If you visit when the park is packed, it's 200 degrees in the shade, and you're only able to ride 50% of what the park offers, etc., etc., etc., then that admission price is gonna hang over you all day, and long after you've arrived back home.

As a poker player, I learned a very important lesson several years back, and it relates directly to what we're discussing. Buying into poker tournaments can be expensive, and there's no guarantee of return on investment. But if you're not able to pay the admission price and immediately forget about it, then you'll never be able to focus on the task at hand, which is playing optimal poker, enjoying the experience, and hopefully going home richer.

Same goes for a day at Disney. If you're harping on how much you paid at the gate, and trying to rationalize or justify how each experience inside the park is somehow worth it, then you're missing out on the overall experience, which is to have fun with the company you surround yourself with.

And if you just wanna bitch and complain about rising prices each year, Disney actually does offer a solution to the problem: don't go. Trust me, it won't hurt their business plan any.

I don't' even think it's the internet. In this specific environment, people already have their minds made up. If they are thrill or coaster die-hards, young adults, or single, Disney may not be the first choice. For those not on the boards, most already have it in their heads that they paid too much and the significant other "made" me go. It's not something either side is really going to change the others minds. I can list pros and cons to both sides if I wanted. Neither side is wrong, just different place in life. Bottom line to me, my family and I enjoy Disney. I've been to WDW more this year than I've been to my local park (KI).

People are listing prices, so I'll share what I've spent the last 2 trips. In June, we spent 2 weeks in Orlando. We drove, so gas round trip was $400. We save a ton of cash booking condos last minute. For that trip, we spent $500 total on lodging, $200 the first week and $300 the second. Food I don't really count as we have to eat whether we are home or not. We tend to eat only 1 counter service in the park, so it's not that much more. So for 2 weeks, we spent $900.....for a family of 5. I'm currently in Orlando, and we spent $450 for the week in a condo and $400 for gas, for a total of $850. The cost of the tickets is still up in the air, as we've only had the passes for 3 months. I'm guessing we'll be back down at least 2 more times before they expire. Now that we have the option of not having to buy tickets every trip, I'm guessing that number will be much higher.