TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

This is frustrating because this topic actually is relevant and it would be interesting to be be able to discuss the logistics of it and predictions on how it will play out but it's 2022. It's now absolutely impossible for grown adults to have this conversation without aggressively injecting their own political views into it to the point where it turns into a flame war within like 3 posts.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

This is frustrating because this topic actually is relevant and it would be interesting to be be able to discuss the logistics of it and predictions on how it will play out but it's 2022. It's now absolutely impossible for grown adults to have this conversation without aggressively injecting their own political views into it to the point where it turns into a flame war within like 3 posts.

Ideal in my opinion would be DIS and FL hash it out (I think this is ultimately what will happen) and Chapek gets replaced. With how he bungled this whole thing and the stock price dropping hard, he should be feeling the pressure.

• Like 1

I have to giggle at how it's been suggested elsewhere (non-theme park people) that Disney can just up and find another location and establish what they have in Orlando as a result of this political mess.

That being said, could this result in Disney at least floating the idea of spending cash/improving their other properties and trying to deflect guests into going to their other parks if things continue to be problematic in Florida?  Obviously Disney alone is probably 1/3 of central Florida's economy, so they hold many of the cards here.

It seems like Disney has the power to do this subtly over time, and could result in a "death by one thousand cuts" scenario for Orlando if things play out long enough.

• Like 1

I don't want to act like I'm an expert on the politics of a state where I don't live but my gut says that nothing noteworthy will come out of this. There will be a lot of headlines, there will be a lot of talk, there will be a lot of time and money wasted on legal battles on each side but at the end of the day, Disney will probably call their bluff. Disney will probably also do it in a way that won't be inflammatory and they'll probably wait and let this whole thing die down first. They don't want a political battle with either side. It's too late for that now, but I still expect them to do whatever they can to try and diffuse the situation.

That said, Ron DeSantis won the Governor's election by about 32,000 votes. He got about 219,000 votes from Orange and Osceola county. He didn't win those counties, but it's all popular vote anyway so it doesn't matter. I don't really expect the Republicans to let the taxpayers foot the bill for that debt and drive property taxes up by thousands of dollars when if they lose even 15% of those 219,000 people in those two counties that voted for him, all other things being equal they will lose the next election.

I expect Ron DeSantis to sign this and claim victory. Then my guess would be that this ends up in an expensive court battle and/or a negotiation where Disney concedes some things they don't care about but we end up with something very similar to what we have now where both sides can still feel like they won.

Disney should play this correctly and:

1. State that all new development including new attractions will be delayed or canceled in Florida until we take a 10 year period to evaluate if we have reached market saturation in the Orlando area.  Make the locals feel better by stating that we will not need to increase prices by 10% a year if we are not adding new $100,000,000 plus attractions every year.  Instead, state you will spend $20,000,000 per year on attraction rehabs until the classic attractions are all in prime condition. 

2. Dump all of Disney's fire and police department  pensions, healthcare and municipal debt on the local or state government.  I have heard that they could transfer well over a billion dollars of debt to the government as part of the process of dissolving the special district.

3.  Layoff all Disney corporate staff that was moved to Orlando from California except for what is needed to run the parks and cruise ship.  State that the company is entering a cost controlling stage because of lower attendance then expected.

• Like 1

One news network reported that they had called Orange and Osceola county to see if they could handle the needs from Disney. They basically said its such a far fetched idea that they have no further comments. 

Sounds like the county's that would need to take over are not concerned that this will really happen. 

This is DeSantis way of getting his name out before he runs for President!

1 hour ago, thepoint4life23 said:

One news network reported that they had called Orange and Osceola county to see if they could handle the needs from Disney. They basically said its such a far fetched idea that they have no further comments. 

Sounds like the county's that would need to take over are not concerned that this will really happen. 

This is DeSantis way of getting his name out before he runs for President!

Exactly. All the headlines are getting people to think he stuck it to WDW. Even friends on FB who ive provided links to saying its not going to work for FL refuse to believe he's not going to win this battle. They think its a done deal. Realistically, it benefits no one to dissolve it. 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, Haymaker said:

Ideal in my opinion would be DIS and FL hash it out (I think this is ultimately what will happen) and Chapek gets replaced. With how he bungled this whole thing and the stock price dropping hard, he should be feeling the pressure.

If both Chapek gets replaced and DeSantis loses in November because of this then it will be considered a win-win for everyone. 

• Like 7

On 5/1/2022 at 9:33 AM, rachelmadcow said:

Din Tai Fung is Taiwanese I'm stunned Disney is doing business with them seeing how China has basically implied they can snatch back the Chinese Disney parks at any time. 

I went to a Dim Sum buffet in Vegas that had a 90 minute maximum - I expect high traffic establishments to start instituting a time limit. 

If China did snatch back their Disney parks you wouldn't see half the hand wringing and sobbing that you saw over their loss of privilege in Florida. 

15 hours ago, rachelmadcow said:

Everything I say become a new debate. They say he is out of touch he cannot relate! 

Because you have little to no braincells. Jit  be like smoking 

• 1 month later...

Disney and Lyft have announced the return of the Minnie Van service to Walt Disney World, starting on June 29th!

image.thumb.png.22942af6ba6a104e36cf7aa5040e9178.png

Disney and Lyft are bringing back the wildly popular Minnie Van Service at Walt Disney World Resort. The beloved and adorable Minnie Van Service, connected by Lyft, returns this summer to make Disney World vacations more memorable and getting around the parks easier.

Starting June 29, guests can book the Minnie Van Service directly in the Lyft app to get to nearly any destination within Walt Disney World Resort. It’s a great way to get around quickly and in style—all while in a Disney-owned and operated vehicle, driven by a Cast Member. Service will be available for use throughout the property including to the Disney Resort Collection hotels.

The Minnie Van Service is one of the most convenient and personalized transportation options to choose from – with quick, point-to-point drop-offs and pickups around Walt Disney World Resort. Guests can book just by opening the Lyft App and selecting a Minnie Van vehicle to pick them up. Guests can also use the app to request an Accessible Minnie Van, as needed, and each Minnie Van comes equipped with two, complimentary child car seats for the littlest travelers.

Guests can easily book a Minnie Van from the Lyft app at Walt Disney World Resort by confirming their pickup location and swiping through vehicle type options to select “Minnie Van.” After booking, guests will spot their car, hop in, and enjoy the ride. Those that want to utilize the Minnie Van Service for transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resort can review step-by-step directions on DisneyWorld.com or learn more by visiting disneyworld.disney.go.com/minnie-van

Disney and Lyft are bringing back the wildly popular Minnie Van Service at Walt Disney World Resort. The beloved and adorable Minnie Van Service, connected by Lyft, returns this summer to make Disney World vacations more memorable and getting around the parks easier.

"The rest of the vacation was okay, but when we got to go for a ride in that beloved and adorable Chevy Traverse that was a memory that will stick with our family forever."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 6/9/2022 at 3:52 PM, coasterbill said:

"The rest of the vacation was okay, but when we got to go for a ride in that beloved and adorable Chevy Traverse that was a memory that will stick with our family forever."

To be fair, we've used the Minnie Van service several times and it has always been above and beyond expectations and I was actually super bummed with the rumors of it never coming back were out there.  This is a service I will most like make good use of in the future, and I say that as an Orlando local with a car!!! 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Our long, national nightmare is over.

Bob Chapek has been fired and replaced by Bob Iger.

The shocking shakeup was confirmed by Disney’s board of directors late Sunday.

“We thank Bob Chapek for his service to Disney over his long career, including navigating the company through the unprecedented challenges of the pandemic,” said Susan Arnold, Disney’s chairman of the Board. “The Board has concluded that as Disney embarks on an increasingly complex period of industry transformation, Bob Iger is uniquely situated to lead the Company through this pivotal period.”

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/bob-iger-replace-bob-chapek-disney-ceo-1235438423/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

Friendly reminder, folks... there has been been, and will never be, a CEO of the Walt Disney Company who cares more about anything than he cares about money.

I'd argue the original (Walt) was in it for more than the money.

• Like 2

fify

21 hours ago, SoCalJasonland said:

I have heard Scrooge McDuck and Daffy Duck DONALD are the front runners for the new CEO position once Iger retires.  Scrooge has an inside track and both are better than Chapek.

956759862_Screenshot2022-11-22194315.jpg.6acb85c657f68c2df44ca2258626493e.jpg

1149280648_DonaldPic.jpg.276ae32cf609234c229006570d533a8c.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ron DeSantis tightens his control over Walt Disney World

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis warned people to "buckle up" as he signed a bill giving the state control over Disney's sprawling Orlando theme parks.

The bill strips power uniquely held by Disney for over 50 years and enables more oversight by Mr DeSantis' Republican-led legislature.

The move is seen as retaliation after Disney opposed state laws curtailing gender and sexuality education.

It precedes a likely 2024 presidential run by Mr DeSantis.

"Today, the corporate kingdom finally comes to an end," he said on Monday at a bill signing ceremony in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, near Walt Disney World.

"There's a new sheriff in town and accountability will be the order of the day."

For more than 50 years, the Walt Disney World territory operated within Florida's Reedy Creek Improvement District and essentially acted as a self-governing area, with control of utilities and a fire department.

It had been argued this saved local taxpayers from large infrastructure and other costs required to operate the 43 square miles (111 sq km) of property that attracts millions of visitors a year.

The new law does not dissolve the district, or move its considerable debt on to taxpayers, but it subjects Disney to additional layers of external oversight through a five-member board, now appointed by the state.

It also means Disney will be treated the same as other Orlando theme parks, Mr DeSantis said, and will no longer be exempt from certain state regulations, including building and fire prevention codes.

Mr DeSantis announced appointments to the new board, including Martin Garcia, a Tampa lawyer and Republican donor whose firm contributed $50,000 (£41,467) to Mr DeSantis' re-election campaign.

Bridget Ziegler, a Sarasota County School Board member who was a co-founder of the conservative organisation Moms for Liberty and the wife of Christian Ziegler, the new chairman of the Republican Party of Florida, was also appointed.

The new board is scheduled to meet next week, Mr DeSantis said, adding that "they will be in charge during that board meeting, so buckle up".

Among the first decisions Mr DeSantis suggested would be taken was a pay increase for emergency first responders in the newly named Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.

Friction between Disney, one of the world's biggest media companies, and Florida lawmakers dates back to a controversial bill signed by Mr DeSantis last April.

Disney released a public statement voicing opposition to the bill, which banned gender and sexuality education in Florida schools for pupils aged nine and under.

Opponents of the bill - which some dubbed the "Don't Say Gay" law and that is now enacted - said it would isolate and stigmatise LGBT youth, while supporters said it would protect children from what they said was inappropriate content.

DeSantis responded to the opposition by calling on lawmakers to strip Disney of its special governing power.

The public feud between Mr DeSantis and Disney has helped elevate his profile as a potential 2024 Republican presidential candidate.

But during a news conference on Monday, Mr DeSantis hinted he was still a fan of the Mouse. "In spite of all the stuff that's happened over the past couple of years, I've always been very proud of our parks," he said.

"It's almost like a right of passage for people to be able to come down here, and a lot of families have had really great experiences... but when you lose your way, you've got to have people who can tell you the truth."

Source

Posting this purely as news relating to the effects on the future of Disney, not trying to promote political discussion, hopefully it isn't breaking TPR posting rules.

not sure there's a way to discuss it without getting political.

so my only two cents on it is:   nothing is gonna change.   (or, I'll be shocked if anything changes).

to be REALLY simple about it:  from what I understood is that to "buy out" the Disney Stewardship of that area the State would have to pay the Walt Disney Company a pretty large sum of $$.  I dont' really see that happening, as how would it have the $$ without raising taxes across the State?

so yea. . I'll surprised if anything really changes.

Well it's unavoidable as it's a completely political move from the get go.  

It's really difficult to speculate since it's such a unique situation.   They are keeping the existing debt structure but it looks like they may use this new oversight to hit Disney in the wallet where they can. Stuff like the first responder pay increase mentioned in the article is a good example;  it's a good idea and they deserve the pay, but Desantis and his like are operating out of spite, not good faith, so I think wariness is still warranted.

This coming at the same time as the cast member pay disputes too.