TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

48 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Nah the Pokemon card thing is all Logan Paul's fault. He ruined card collecting by bringing this kind of attention to the hobby and inviting a massive wave of scammers and scalpers. I'm so happy to see he wasted 3.5 million on fake cards. 

that, honestly, was the MOST satisfying Schadenfreude I've experienced in years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing with the popcorn bucket is its not even a limited edition thing. Its the "must be first" attitude that @robbalvey despises. I'm sure by Wednesday itll be available without a wait. Another WDW blog I follow (that did not wait in line for it) said the same thing happened with Orange Bird sippers a few years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Nrthwnd said:

^ Sorry. I looked around but couldn't find .... NFT? Thanks in advance.

Non-Fungible-Token.  Basically serialized digital images (EDIT: or any other type of digital file).  One is paying to own the "original" of a digital file.  That anyone can just screenshot.  It makes no sense to me either, and I'm only 38.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Are you a fully grown adult with a crazy disposable amount of money and want to show up all of those fans who waited in line for a Figment popcorn bucket? Well oh boy does Disney have a treat for you.

Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary Jeweled Ear Hat for Adults – Limited Release

$1,000

LOL those better be diamonds.  But knowing Disney, they're not.

37 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Are you a fully grown adult with a crazy disposable amount of money and want to show up all of those fans who waited in line for a Figment popcorn bucket? Well oh boy does Disney have a treat for you.

Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary Jeweled Ear Hat for Adults – Limited Release

$1,000

Bejeweled, really???

image.png.a45e7027e77cc672b99c1fba0e436ce9.png

OMG. . tacky tacky tacky!

and while this is over 250X more. . if I had money to burn?  I'd absolutely pick this up in a heartbeat.

THIS?  This is gorgeous:
cinderella-castle-statuette-6-2725468-90

and it's "only" 250K

cinderella-castle-statuette-2-1258057-12

• Like 2

And that ^ reminds me of this one, in the front window of the Main Street Glassware shop in DL.

IMG_1038.JPG.fdf8532d8d051299e040dd573fdd3d68.JPG

Sparkly, hmmm? Rotating stand too - classy! Photo taken in Sept. 2019.

And since I know I couldn't afford it, I didn't ask the price. Or forgot to. Age does that to ya.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

A quick question to those who might know...

Which (mainly) indoor attraction has the most water in it?

Examples: Pirates~Caribbean /  Splash Mountain / Small World ....

Just curious of me.

57 minutes ago, Nrthwnd said:

A quick question to those who might know...

Which (mainly) indoor attraction has the most water in it?

Examples: Pirates~Caribbean /  Splash Mountain / Small World ....

Just curious of me.

Splash Mountain, by a lot

• Thanks 1

Yesterday Theme Park Review was invited to Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant for a preview of this year's Raglan Road Mighty St. Patrick's Festival! During this experience we had a chance to take in the tastes, sights and sounds of Raglan Road's special offerings for this event as well as some unique new offerings that could be coming to their menu later this year. The Might Festival runs from Friday, March 11th through Thursday, March 17th and some of the items we experienced will be offered at Raglan Road in the weeks to follow. 

001.thumb.jpeg.d4339f31d38d43eb90dc008c0269ce3d.jpeg

It is no secret that Raglan Road is one of my favorite places in all of Disney Springs.

002.thumb.jpeg.5fc0182ec59cf60f7dfa953e88a37a22.jpeg

Inside of Raglan Road you can experience performances by authentic Irish and Celtic bands. 

003.thumb.jpeg.6abfbbd2cb6fed73c5e96578900a926c.jpeg

You also can experience authentic Irish step-dancing up close while dining. There is no bad location within the restaurant as the performers move throughout the restaurant during the day to entertain each of the rooms. And there is entertainment for the outdoor seating areas as well!

004.thumb.jpeg.198f9f5da47c92f3815745b3465a112a.jpeg

We had a chance to hear from one of the two owners of Raglan Road, who introduced a special Strawberry & Lime Seltzer called So Berry Les, a tribute to his father who is pictured on the bottle and in photos throughout the restaurant.

005.thumb.jpeg.6efa1c3c6df774668a69097adb9019ac.jpeg

Raglan Road is a fantastic place to enjoy drinks of all types. In addition to the So Berry Les seltzer which was delicious, we tried the new "Paddy's Mighty" composed of Dingle Gin, muddled cucumber, basil simple, lemon juice & egg white. It was smooth and super refreshing! This drink will be offered during The Mighty Festival but could become a longterm addition to the menu if it proves popular with guests. 

006.thumb.jpeg.8d9568047907a93da6a1e0fe2d6a2b65.jpeg

The "Now You're Talkin' Chicken Sandwich" has been on the Raglan menu for a few weeks. While ours was a sampler size, the flavors were fantastic and we all were left craving seconds. The sandwich includes a fried buttermilk chicken breast, hot sauce, scallions, shredded pickle slaw, truffle aioli and grated parmesan.

007.thumb.jpeg.1d104a3c1cc0137f1048418fc2ac7b88.jpeg

My personal favorite of the flavors we sampled from The Mighty Festival menu, this Smoked Pulled Brisket was insanely good. Served atop Irish buttermilk and Dubliner cheddar cheese bread with caramelized onion puree and charred sweetcorn salsa, this bite melted in our mouths. And we were lucky enough to each get a second bite which was equally as incredible.

008.thumb.jpeg.42149c7c6eaa514681481def9194d6d1.jpeg

"The Salmon Who Salsas" is a Roasted Atlantic Salmon filet on boxty potato & celery root puree served with a smoked salmon, apple, grape, caper & almond salsa. Salmon lovers will be pleased. The celery root puree made the bite for me.

010.thumb.jpeg.7aa66916e6c74bfc027cdff73f461466.jpeg

A recent addition to the year-round Raglan menu is "This Shepherd Went Vegan" which is the vegan version of their classic Shepherd's Pie. I'm a huge fan of the meat-filled version and I will say that this version stands on its own as hearty and flavorful. Vegans and those in the mood for a veggie-heavy dish will be happy all the same.

011.thumb.jpeg.06abc4a82c5647e5ceb8912d119e1d32.jpeg

While Magners is accessible in many restaurants, its Pear Cider is not commonly found on tap--but at Raglan Road it is!

012.thumb.jpeg.d691ca930d70ad97d6da5e0de06b9b66.jpeg

We were surprised with a savory donut featuring brisket and a parmesan icing. It was unreal.

013.thumb.jpeg.79d67bf1aa6a370753e78d7910ef7d8e.jpeg

And while we were confident that that last bite would have been the best of the evening, we were spoiled with a second savory donut, this one with chicken, bacon and cheese with a Guinness glaze. 

014.thumb.jpeg.7c76d3a911acf844cde45abed442b6d2.jpeg

The Raglan Road step-dancers move throughout the restaurant to make sure everyone gets a chance to enjoy their unique style of dance up close.

015.thumb.jpeg.a50c87e792c5fb58ba6ffdb289962cd1.jpeg

But back on the main hall is definitely where the experience is best enjoyed!

016.thumb.jpeg.dcf22992ddfe172b25770cdcd0073520.jpeg

Raglan Road dancers certainly know how to get some air!

017.thumb.jpeg.345f2a514247a437bd0c3c2a3ff18906.jpeg

I love the main hall of Raglan Road!

018.thumb.jpeg.653d85f22e3ff484b840923f2cba105d.jpeg

If you're not able to dine in Raglan Road Pub & Restaurant but you still want some delicious Irish fare, you can stop by Cookes of Dublin (sporting a great new sign out front). 

009.thumb.jpeg.58b569af8b83b33c49ead7a4651b0cb5.jpeg

We had a fantastic taste of this year's Raglan Road Mighty Festival and you can too between now and March 17th! And if you can't make it out for the Festival, the regular Raglan Road experience is no less Mighty, and is well worth your visit!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Gov. DeSantis Escalates Disney Fight With Move to End Self-Governing District

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis raised the stakes in his fight with Disney on Tuesday, announcing that he would call on the Legislature to terminate the company’s self-governing district in Orlando.

DeSantis has been fighting with Disney over the company’s opposition to the so-called “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which forbids classroom instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation in kindergarten through third grade. DeSantis warned last month that Disney had “crossed the line” by saying it would work to overturn the law.

The Florida Legislature has concluded its regular session for the year, but is meeting this week in a special session to address a Congressional redistricting map. In a proclamation on Tuesday, DeSantis amended the special session to allow the Legislature to take action against Disney.

“They also will be considering termination of all special districts that were enacted in Florida prior 1968,” DeSantis said at a press conference on Tuesday morning. “That includes the Reedy Creek Improvement District.”

The Legislature created the Reedy Creek district in 1967, allowing Disney to control zoning and public services over a 40-square-mile area encompassing the Walt Disney World Resort and the company’s other Orlando theme parks. The district is home to 53 people — all Disney employees and their families.

DeSantis has argued that Disney should not get “special privileges” from the state Legislature.

In addition to Reedy Creek, he has noted that Disney got a last-minute carve-out from the state’s social media “censorship” law last year. The law seeks to regulate social media platforms, but excludes any company that owns a theme park — which was intended to exempt Disney+ from the regulation. The law has been on hold due to a federal court challenge.

DeSantis’ proclamation would also allow the Legislature to revisit that bill to eliminate the Disney carve-out.

Ending the Reedy Creek district would be a complex undertaking, as Osceola and Orange counties would have to assume responsibility for public services in the area. A bill to eliminate the district could well end up in court.

The special session is set to expire on Friday.

Source

• Haha 2

Florida lawmakers have stripped Disney of special tax status

Florida lawmakers have voted to strip Walt Disney of its special self-governing status amid a political clash between the company and the governor.

The status gave Disney powers to levy tax, build roads and control utilities on the lands of its theme park.

The move is widely seen as retribution for Disney's opposition to the so-called "Don't Say Gay" law.

Signed by Governor Ron DeSantis, it bars primary school teachers from discussing sexual orientation.

On Thursday, at the Republican's urging, the state House passed a bill that would rid the company of its near-total power over the special district where its theme park is based. It had already passed the Senate.

Known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District, it was created in a 1967 deal between the state and the Walt Disney Company.

Governor DeSantis had previously made it clear he will sign the measure into law. Following the vote, Disney's special district will be dissolved on 1 June, 2023.

Disney did not respond for comment.

Its special status had effectively allowed the company to operate as its own municipal government, with its own board of supervisors and fire department, and meant Disney could even build its own airport, or nuclear power plant if desired.

It had given the entertainment giant freedom from almost all bureaucratic intervention for half a century and is thought to have saved it from tens of millions of dollars in taxes and fees.

And it is part of why Disney chose to build its theme parks in Florida, where it has become the state's largest private employer, with some 80,000 jobs.

But Disney's special relationship with the state of Florida came under threat over its response to a gender and sexuality education bill signed by Mr DeSantis last month.

Source

I've been following this.  It's such an incredibly short-sighted move (to say anything further would get too political).  Disney isn't the only "special district" this will affect, and we'll see how the municipal and state budgets like covering all of the infrastructure costs that those districts used to cover themselves.

If this stands up to court scrutiny, anyway, which I'm not 100% sure it will.

• Like 2

Purely theater, and its working. They cant repeal it without majority approval of the districts residents, who are all Disney employees. Then Orange and Osceola counties would assume their debt and have to raise taxes. Thats not gonna fly with those residents either. 

• Like 1

Disney can leave if they dont like it and can sell all their parks to CF SixFlags SeaWorld Parque Reunidos - all who would die to have the Magic Kingdom et al maybe not epcot lol 

Disney isnt going anywhere and I doubt DeSantis cares that the most liberal counties in Florida will be forced to pay more in taxes. Its similar to what Trump did with I think healthcare? which ended up making blue states pay more. That is skillfull manouvering. I know that my taxes in New Jersey went up while my taxes in Louisiana were cut in half. 

AFAIK disney doesnt even pay its employees well so its not like the jobs lost will be valuable ones. 

I think most people were stunned that disney had the ability to not report rapes and murders in the improvement district. Im sure conspiracy theorists are losing their minds over that.  

My sister and Brother in law have season passes to disney world and own a home in Orlando specifically so they can spend weeks at Disney. they havent even mentioned this because they do not care. My BIL is the disney customer, he loves spending on experiences for his kids. Again, they havent even mentioned this

nobody has a problem with what happened. Only corporate bootlickers could really be mad. Corporations are getting too powerful and finally someone is stopping the madness. 

Me to Disney;

tiffany-pollard-you-should-have-just-sat

• Confused 3

8 hours ago, rachelmadcow said:

AFAIK disney doesnt even pay its employees well so its not like the jobs lost will be valuable ones. 

Where to even start with this incoherent word salad post.

It DOES affect everyone. I am one of its employees, and for the past 23 YEARS I have been paid more to work there than if I decided to work anywhere else.

I also live in Orange County, and I cannot afford a $2000-4000 tax bill JUST because #DeathSantis hates gay people. That's what this all boils down to. He wants to grab as much power as possible and does not care who he hurts in the process.

I am hoping that Disney with its massive wealth and power does not blink and instead supports whoever runs against this lunatic.

This meme sums it up perfectly:

Mickey.jpg

• Like 11