TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

^ Actually, I'm kinda curious as to what "$!5,000 for the trip" supposedly got him? A room, meals, park tickets, and ........?

This is probably where that "jumping the queue" perk came in.... 😋

"A Place Where Everyone is Welcome"
by Josh D'Amaro, Chairman, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products

Original post on the Disney Parks Blog: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/04/a-place-where-everyone-is-welcome/

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome.” 

Walt Disney spoke these words during the dedication of the Disneyland Resort in 1955. Today, more than 65 years later, they continue to inspire us – and remind us that the magic we make must include everyone.

It’s important to me to share how we’re creating a place where everyone is welcome and taking action to create meaningful change. 

We want our guests to see their own backgrounds and traditions reflected in the stories, experiences and products they encounter in their interactions with Disney. And we want our cast members – and future cast members – to feel a sense of belonging at work.

That means cultivating an environment where all people feel welcomed and appreciated for their unique life experiences, perspectives and culture. Where we celebrate allyship and support for each other. And where diverse views and ideas are sought after as critical contributions towards our collective success.

But as with everything we do, this starts with actively listening, learning, and working with our cast and guests to imagine the possibilities. 

In 2019, we actively solicited input from our cast members from all over the world – to bring a greater focus to inclusivity and belonging for our cast. They brought forward more than 100 ideas, including one I’d like to share with all of you today.

Every Disney Parks cast member is familiar with our longstanding tradition of The Four Keys – Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency – which have guided our approach to guest service for more than 65 years. The Four Keys are one of the first things that cast members learn about when they join Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, and they are regularly reinforced throughout their tenure. Each cast member is asked to use The Four Keys as the blueprint for the decisions they make during the workday and the approach they bring to their interactions with others. Cast members around the world know them by heart and live by them in their roles every day as they create amazing experiences for our guests.

And when we asked our cast how we could better cultivate a culture of belonging, they suggested the addition of a fifth key: the key of Inclusion. Like The Four Keys before them, The 5 Keys – with Inclusion at the heart – will continue to guide us as we interact with guests, collaborate together, create the next generation of Disney products and experiences, and make critical decisions about the future of our business.  

Inclusion is essential to our culture and leads us forward as we continue to realize our rich legacy of engaging storytelling, exceptional service, and Disney magic. 

We’re bringing the spirit of the Inclusion Key to life across our business. We’re reimagining our attractions to be more inclusive, like upcoming enhancements to Jungle Cruise and new adventures with Princess Tiana. We’re celebrating the diverse and inspiring stories of our cast and fans with creator collaborations and exciting experiences, like The Soul of Jazz exhibit at Walt Disney World Resort. 

We’re also looking at ways we can support and uplift our communities through programs like our Disney Dreamers Academy mentorship programs, and we’re including more diverse companies in our supply chain. In fact, we’re looking at ways to increase our support for diverse suppliers in a big way – we’ll share more details on this commitment in the future.

Our goal is also to have more representation and accountability across our organization, starting with my own leadership team and extending throughout our business worldwide, through tools and mentorship and learning programs that create awareness and foster leadership accountability. 

We’re looking at other traditions, too – including the policies that guide how our cast members show up for work. Our new approach provides greater flexibility with respect to forms of personal expression surrounding gender-inclusive hairstyles, jewelry, nail styles, and costume choices; and allowing appropriate visible tattoos. We’re updating them to not only remain relevant in today’s workplace, but also enable our cast members to better express their cultures and individuality at work.

Moving forward, we believe our cast, who are at the center of the magic that lives in all our experiences, can provide the best of Disney’s legendary guest service when they have more options for personal expression – creating richer, more personal and more engaging experiences with our guests.

This is just the beginning as we continue to work toward a world where we all belong – including a more diverse and inclusive Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. There’s more to do, but we’re committed to listening, learning and making meaningful improvements.

The world is changing, and we will change with it, and continue to be a source of joy and inspiration for all the world. We’ll never stop working to make sure that Disney is a welcoming place for all. I’m excited about where we’re headed, and we’ll have more to share soon. Thank you for joining us on this journey.

• Like 7

I read the new Cast Member lookbook and I'm so happy Disney is loosening their strict guidelines on what Cast Members can wear/etc. My favorite look in the book was the Haunted Mansion Cast Member. The beard, the earrings, and the black nail polish... It's the perfect look!

• 5 months later...

1168748693_DisneyGenieLaunch_Blog_Header3.thumb.jpg.0d74ebe6c3653b32ea0838efc379fa64.jpg

Disney's Genie Service is launching at Walt Disney World on Oct 19th, 2021!  For full details, check out the post from the Disney Parks Blog:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/10/disney-genie-launching-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Here is the info that I feel people are going to be the most interested in... the replacement for FastPass+
216272299_LightningLaneAttractionsatLaunch.thumb.jpeg.b52602ac08be09108429dd361e04cbea.jpeg

"Disney Genie uses our 50+ years of knowledge and expertise in how guests visit our parks to make the experience better for everyone.

With this launch, we’ll also be introducing the Lightning Lane entrance. Available for purchase through our Disney Genie+ add-on at more than 40 attractions – or individually, “à la carte” at some of our most highly demanded attractions – the Lightning Lane entrance can save you time waiting in line."

Disney Genie+ Lightning Lane Selections
"When you take your day to the next level by purchasing Disney Genie+ service, you can select arrival windows for Lightning Lane entrances that are available at more than 40 attractions and entertainment across all 4 theme parks, one at a time throughout the day.

Disney Genie+ service will be available for $15 per Guest per day.

Once you have Disney Genie+ service, you can book the next available arrival window for your first experience via the My Disney Experience app beginning at 7:00 AM on the day of your visit.

Once you’ve redeemed your initial selection (or the arrival window has passed), you can make another selection using the app, up to park closing."

Individual Lightning Lane Selections
For some of our most highly demanded attractions will offer Lightning Lane entry as an "á la carte" purchase. This option will be available for all Guests—with or without Disney Genie+ service—and lets you choose a time to arrive at up to 2 attractions each day (booked one at a time).

Prices will vary by date, attraction and park. For example, the Lightning Lane entrance to Remy's Ratatouille Adventure will be $9 per person on October 19 and $11 per person on October 23. As another example, on both those dates, Lightning Lane entrance to Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain will be $7 per person, while Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be $15 per person. Throughout the year, prices may be lower on some days and higher on other days. This option may be purchased at up to 2 different attractions each day.

Purchase via Disney Genie service in the My Disney Experience mobile app on the same day of your visit.

Individual selections will be available to buy via our complimentary Disney Genie service in the My Disney Experience app on the same day of your visit.

Here are some of the other features of the Disney Genie Service and you can get more info by reading the update from the Disney Parks Blog:
838527167_DisneyGenie_GenieandIndividualLightningLane.thumb.jpeg.2c9b06f46f829436d1de6472fff395f6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Once you’ve redeemed your initial selection (or the arrival window has passed), you can make another selection using the app, up to park closing."

The way it reads it seems unlike the old paper fast-pass (I only have experience with the system in Tokyo) you have to redeem your first ride before the second, so if you reserve a ride that is already booked up all the way in the evening, you're going to be locked out a while. I think as long as you use it smartly, you'll definitely get value for money and I think even only being able to fastpass 2-3 rides for that price is value for money but I'm sure there'll be people who will end up complaining.

7 hours ago, Garet said:

The way it reads it seems unlike the old paper fast-pass (I only have experience with the system in Tokyo) you have to redeem your first ride before the second, so if you reserve a ride that is already booked up all the way in the evening, you're going to be locked out a while. I think as long as you use it smartly, you'll definitely get value for money and I think even only being able to fastpass 2-3 rides for that price is value for money but I'm sure there'll be people who will end up complaining.

You are forgetting you’re not competing against people who have “free fast passes” and only the people who have bought this service. 

That being said, I have used Max Pass at Disneyland several times and have always been able to make at least 5-6 reservations a day, even when walking into the park at 5pm. 

I don’t think what you are describing will be an issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah from what I'm seeing online it looks fine!  I'm not going to judge ANYTHING from today though as it's the first day and a lot of bloggers went out to try and test the system.  Let's see how it works this weekend and into next week.  And funny enough, that's when we'll be trying out the new system!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haymaker said:

Theres been people complaining in FB groups about its functionality today, but its probably user error. 

There are also people, not many, but some, who will go day one and deliberately look for anything they can complain about because they know that will probably get them more clicks than praising the system.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Garet said:

There are also people, not many, but some, who will go day one and deliberately look for anything they can complain about because they know that will probably get them more clicks than praising the system.

Agreed. I'm a DAS user and being able to get a return in app now is fantastic and works well. 

• 2 months later...

Great news everyone! Typhoon Lagoon is officially reopening on January 2nd, after being closed since March 2020! 

Official Disney Parks Blog News Post

“Surf’s up at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park! I am thrilled to share that the tropical island-inspired theme park will reopen to guests Jan. 2, 2022. With the Walt Disney World Resort 50th Anniversary celebration underway, now is the perfect time to visit the Disney Water Parks. Thanks to Florida’s typically comfortable winter weather, Typhoon Lagoon is a vacation destination for families all year round.

1. Create Your Own Custom DOLE Whip Dessert

From sweet new menu items to favorite attractions, there is so much to see and do at Typhoon Lagoon. To help you prepare for your next visit, here are eight totally tubular ways to celebrate reopening day!

Head to Snack Shack next to Typhoon Tilly’s to sample items from a delicious list of all-new frozen dessert bar menu items. Now is your chance to mix and match your favorite DOLE Whip flavors including mango, pineapple, lime and raspberry to build your own refreshing treat. Adult guests can even choose to complement their DOLE Whips by adding tequila, coconut rum or dark rum. And make sure to also check out new Moana-inspired DOLE Whip cones, also available at Snack Shack. 

2. Catch a Wave

Hang 10 at the Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool, America’s largest outdoor wave pool. A favorite attraction among guests, the Typhoon Lagoon Surf pool also offers Surfing Programs so you can book time to learn to surf during a private lesson. 

3. Chute Down Crush ‘n’ Gusher 

What do you get when you combine a water slide and roller coaster? A water coaster! Grab a friend and choose from one of three tropical fruit-themed chutes: Pineapple Plunger, Coconut Crusher or Banana Blaster. 

4. Indulge in 50th Anniversary-Inspired Menu Items

From Walt’s Chili Nachos, which offer a special twist on one of Walt Disney’s favorite meals, to the EARidescent Ice Dream Cone, a birthday cake-flavored soft-serve treat, Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon is home to a variety of delicious anniversary-themed treats. 

5. Bliss Out at Castaway Creek

Looking for the perfect way to unwind? Head to Castaway Creek for a peaceful drift down a 2,000-foot lazy river, floating past shady grottoes, thundering waterfalls, overhead rope bridges and lush rainforest landscapes.

6. Don’t ‘Miss’ Out on Miss Adventure Falls 

As the story goes, Miss Adventure Falls is owned by Captain Mary Oceaneer – a sea-faring treasure hunter whose haul got caught in the rogue typhoon. This thrilling family-friendly adventure is the newest attraction at Typhoon Lagoon and gives you a chance to hunt for Captain Mary’s scattered global treasures during your voyage. 

7. Relax in a Beachcomber Shack

Relax in your very own private piece of paradise by booking a Beachcomber Shack, a luxury cabana space featuring cushioned seating, secluded shade and exclusive menu. 

8. Hurry to Humunga Kowabunga 

Thrill seekers will love the near-vertical drops at Humunga Kowabunga, a downhill flume slide that uses the steep slopes of Mount Mayday. 

Learn more about the Disney Water Parks and how to include Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon in your next Walt Disney World vacation here.”

The opening of this park means the closure of Blizzard Beach for its annual refurbishment, so it’s last day of operation is New Years Day!  I’m really excited, what about everyone else?

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to Typhoon Lagoon reopening since I haven't been there in 5 years. I was thinking they were possibly going to keep both water parks closed all winter with how low crowds have been at Blizzard Beach. Even with it around 80 degrees yesterday and the resort so crowded, Blizzard Beach was empty. The longest wait was 10 minutes for Downhill Double Dipper.

Yeah I'm mostly being a smart ass but I do think there's some reality in my statement. Especially considering how many other options there are in the Orlando market, I mean Volcano Bay and Aquatica kind of blow away Disney's water parks these days but why invest anything when your parks still do pretty well.

I think another reason is that Disney does like to stick to the themeing, and integrating something into Blizzard Beach and having it work would probably be a bit more costly than at Typhoon Lagoon. As much as I'd love to see them add a modern water coaster or something they can't just plop it down on the backside of the mountain and make it work like they did with Crush n Gusher or Miss Adventure Falls. I'm sure they could come up with a way to make it work and be awesome but again why spend they money when the parks do just fine as is?

^ They should take a hint from Cowabunga Bay in Vegas and build a massive half-pipe, theme it to snowboarders.  Wild Surf might be a one-trick pony but that doesn't matter when the trick is pants-shittingly insane.  Ever get so much airtime on a water slide that you get launched out of the tube and get to re-enact your very own scene from The A-Team?

Becuase I have.  Multiple times.  It's nuckin futs.

I haven't been to any dry disney park in nearly 5 years. im more than fulfilled at typhoon lagoon and blizzard beach. They're both very large for water parks and the only thing missing are master blasters. 

Disney needs a 3rd water park not an expansion of the present ones. Doing a Pixar themed water park seems almost too obvious. Really they need 2 more water parks, a Pixar one and a contemporary redo of River Country. Since they love IP they can apply Princess & The Frog to it.

Best to probably post it here....

"Oooooooh WDW how you TEASE US & Torment Us!"

Food2022Festival.png.a69cfbbf9b79405fc0fe938a82eab2cd.png

Found on a number of Disney sites. By Disney. Go find it, and salivate, drool, quiver .... your choice.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:29 PM, rachelmadcow said:

I haven't been to any dry disney park in nearly 5 years. im more than fulfilled at typhoon lagoon and blizzard beach. They're both very large for water parks and the only thing missing are master blasters. 

Disney needs a 3rd water park not an expansion of the present ones. Doing a Pixar themed water park seems almost too obvious. Really they need 2 more water parks, a Pixar one and a contemporary redo of River Country. Since they love IP they can apply Princess & The Frog to it.

I agree, would love to see a more IP based Disney Water Park!  I'm shocked they haven't yet, and more shocked that Universal did the weird Volcano Bay instead of the Dreamworks Water Park!!!

There are definitely some parts of Disney that are completely loathsome, and today was a perfect example. Theres reports of a 6 hour wait. Pandora? Rise? No.....

Figment popcorn buckets. The resellers are out in full force. 

Attach36656_20220114_140625.jpg

Attach0_20220114_140846.jpg

• Sad 1

^I know the discussion of the USO Twitter poking fun at the other parks was already discussed in the Sea World thread and I was on the side of enjoying Twitter wars when both sides are playing but this is one topic where I really wish they wouldn't joke and parks work together to aim something more scathing towards scalpers than making light of it.

Maybe I'm more sensitive because my son was old enough this year to fully embrace Christmas, and yes parents trying to get the latest toy is part of Christmas as a parent, but at least that is against other parents who are just also out for their kids. Scalpers worked so hard to ruin Christmas for us on almost everything this year. Everything that had virtual lines or lotteries were overrun by bots and then on the internet at 100% mark-up an hour later and it sucks how much children lose out on these things. Even Pokemon cards of all things have adults fighting over them....

• Like 1