TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Final Destination 3 And Roller Coaster

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound just as ignorant as the person that started this. Carnival rides, if you knew anything, have to pass state inspections weekly. Much more then a amusement park ride. I've never felt un safe on a single ride ever. I've been there for take down, for research purposes, and they had to do everything with an inspector around. The operators just have to push a button, just like any other amusement park operator. Safety standards today are so high, you don't have to worry about either.

Also, un like most amusement parks. They don't have teenagers that half the time aren't even looking at the ride running them. They may be ugly, or missing teeth, at least they pay more attention most of the time. I realize you were just joking, but its a pet peeve of mine when people always assume that stuff.

Maybe you're blessed over in PA to have carnival ride operators that have good reputations, but right across the state line in Ohio, we aren't so fortunate. Our ride operation companies have the reputation you defend so heavily...and they deserve it!

In the past 2-3 years we've had 5 incidents on carnival rides in Ohio, (that I can think of) that have resulted in injuries or in two cases death.

1. A kid was struck and killed by the gondola of the state fairs giant frisbee ride.

2. Two incidents where ferris wheel cars came loose and dropped people to the ground, (one resulted in death after several days in critical condition, and that was just last fall if I remember right).

3. A Scrambler/Sizzler ride had an arm come loose and slam into the retaining barriers.

4. And a kiddie swing ride that dropped to the ground from about 2-3 feet, (I don't think there were actually in injuries just some really upset parents, and crying kids).

Now, not all these incidents are from the same company. But a couple were from the same co., and were given a slap on the wrist. Our inspections in Ohio are done by the states aggricultural dept., and there is no way they are present for every carnival set-up. With all of the events this state has during a weeks time they would have to have a huge dept. to cover every event.

And to say that carnivals have more regular inspections than established amusement parks is a little far to go. Also, on the subject that the carnies are so much more attentive....pleeaassee. I can't can't count the amount of times I've been on the rides at our carnivals when the operator has walked off for a smoke, or to talk to another worker while were on the ride! Sorry, a King's Island ride-op can't walk off for a smoke while people are on a ride.

Lastly, it's been 4-5 years ago that it was a major deal, but there was all kinds of controversey about the carnival circuits around the US. Namely that rides weren't getting inspected in a timely manner, and that many rides that were condemned by the states inspectors were getting renamed, repainted, getting the serial numbers taken off, and being put back in operation in other states. So once again, maybe you're blessed in PA, but the reputation many, (but not all), carnival operators have is accurate.

We shouldn't be mean to this guy. The movie gave him a fear of rides. We shouldn't be teasing him or anything like that. Even if he has nothing to fear, he IS afraid of them, and we need to HELP him, not taunt. Do we have to be so mean?

True, not everyone's a big coaster enthusiast.

^^

You are right, your regulations may be different. Also I normally research the carnival circuit before going. So that may be why I haven't experienced any bad ones. Also, Kings Island is a great park, and thats most likely why you didn't experience any bad things there. On the other hand, I have at SFA, and some other parks of that nature in mind. Where I have seen that behavior there. I've seen some pretty outrageous things at a few parks, that I haven't seen at any show circuit. I'm not going to get into that, for anyone wondering (none of it was at HP), lol. Just the chances of something there happening are still really low of anything bad happening.

Now back on topic. No matter how much it annoys me when people come up with crazy ideas on what will happen on a coaster. I feel bad for them at the same time, they're missing out on harmless excitement in there lives.

Maybe you're blessed over in PA to have carnival ride operators that have good reputations, but right across the state line in Ohio, we aren't so fortunate. Our ride operation companies have the reputation you defend so heavily...and they deserve it!

What's funny is that the movie supposedly takes place in Pennsylvania. Operations are sure efficient in the movie on the coaster too.

We shouldn't be mean to this guy. The movie gave him a fear of rides. We shouldn't be teasing him or anything like that. Even if he has nothing to fear, he IS afraid of them, and we need to HELP him, not taunt. Do we have to be so mean?

And anyone who has actually seen the movie knows why it's so funny that people like him are scared by the coaster crash.

^I don't find it funny. Just because he isn't as educated on roller coasters as some of us are, it doesn't mean we need to laugh at him and taunt him because a movie scared him. I am sure a lot of the GP is more afraid of roller coasters now.

Why are we being so mean to someone who isn't as educated as us? It puzzles me how we complain about "stupid" people, yet fail to educate them. (If we do teach them something, it includes "you're dumb" or something rude). And we wonder why people make fun of roller coaster enthusiasts?

Maybe if we weren't so rude and educated people in a nice way who didn't know much, like the person who started this thread, then maybe the coaster community would be a nicer place, and people wouldn't make fun of us. Sometimes your comments are better left to yourself.

SCKE, There's a difference between educating someone about the unknown and restating the obvious. The scene is obviously unbelievable and very incorrect. It's a horror movie, and we just don't understand why anybody would take it as gospel.

For the guy who started the thread, buddy it's fake and nothing like that will ever happen to you. Trust me, you're safe! There's nothing to be afraid of

-Sean

The chances of being injured or killed on a theme park ride are so slim that I don't even take it into consideration, same with going on a plane. Seeing some of the idiots on the road though, now THAT scares me! Won't stop me driving but the risk of something happening is in the back of my mind.

Just watched it on youtube, bit lame.

That shouldn't make anyone scared of coasters, to be honest I was laughing all the way through the clip!

Jordan.

Same here. I was laughing at it the whole way through. It's very rare for something serious to happen to a roller coaster, yet alone a whole series of events. For one thing, you'd have to get the train perfectly balanced ito get it stuck in a loop. Second, the coaster they based their ride off of dosen't have loops. If you look at the comments, people are saying things such as "This is why I'll never ride a roller coaster". I pity this movie because it put a fear of roller coasters into people that they shouldn't have. There's a whole bunch of people who are criticizing coasters because of this movie.

^I don't find it funny. Just because he isn't as educated on roller coasters as some of us are, it doesn't mean we need to laugh at him and taunt him because a movie scared him. I am sure a lot of the GP is more afraid of roller coasters now.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, my personal opinion is that it's ridiculous to be frightened by that scene, but at the same time I'm completely hypocritical because the aeroplane scenes in the first Final Destination scared the crap out of me, and I was terrified when I had to get on a plane the following week! It's all about what you know and how capable your brain is of getting reality to override the irrational fear.

Gentle mocking is fine, but let's keep it nice too! Everyone has silly fears that make no sense to others.

^ Exactly!!

Speaking of which, it cropped up on the Europe trip how strange it is that so many coaster enthusiasts are afraid of heights! It's interesting to me. For the most part I know they're afraid of unrestrained heights (eg certain people who didn't do the Starflyer...) so coasters are fine, but it's still interesting to me.

I just watched the FD3 clip on youtube and I'm cracking up....It's so fake it is hilarious! They make it look like the ride is 200ft+ tall and besides since when do coasters run on fuel? Just look at the ride, it is small

There is nothing to worry about. Coasters are safe. As previously stated there is a far greater chance of being hurt in a car accident the next time you get in a car than the chances of being hurt next time you get on a coaster (I think it is like 1 in 60 vs. 1 in a million.)

And about the accident at SFoG, It was completely the kid's fault. As my Dad would say, "You can't fix stupid".

and besides since when do coasters run on fuel?

The film doesn't imply that they do does it? Isn't it a hydraulic line that fails?

yeah it is, but yeah I mean movies have always scared people. That is why horror movies are made, to exploit the emotion of fear. Some are way scarier to some people then others, for example someone mentioned the beach and jaws, which is classic. Also, I don't think theres a single person on here that has seen the shower scene from psycho and not at least thought about the potential of it happening. My advice though, go on a small looping roller coaster with some friends. I promise the feeling will be worth. The reason why i like parks and rides is BECAUSE they allow me to challenge fear. I love walk through haunted houses, they scare me to death and I don't always make it to the end but I love them. Give it a shot and most deaths on roller coasters happen when people are not where they are supposed to be(i.e. the kid at six flags that yes died but it wasn't cause he rode, or an employee on the track while ride is going.) Not to mention that by the third movie they were running out of ideas....

As my Dad would say, "You can't fix stupid".

OMG RON WHITE!!!

And about the FD with the plane, ya it did scare me. I know it is very rare, and will probably never happen, just like FD3, but when you are 35,000 feet above the ground in a crowded area, it is a little scary. Speaking of which, I have to fly next week. Oh well, I'm used to flying by myself.

The reason I watch, and like, the FD movies is to see completely ridiculous, gory deaths that occur from a set of very STRONG coincidences. If one takes the coaster scene literally then there is a lot of things this trilogy would turn said one away from, heres a little list.

Bathrooms

Coasters

Highways

Planes

Streets

Farms

Hospitals

Dentists

Paris

Weight Rooms

Tanning Salons

4th of July Barbeques

Hardware Stores

Subways

Fire Escapes

Apartments

Computers

Kitchens

Train Tracks

Elevators

So if you take the movie seriously then you should now be afraid of everything on this list. If you don't check one of these then tell yourself why and apply it to the others.

The End now go ride some coasters, maybe not vekomas though they don't crash they may hurt.

^ Don't forget news vans, "jaws of life" and barbed wire from the farm scene in FD2.

The film doesn't imply that they do does it? Isn't it a hydraulic line that fails?

Yes it was. It's the same type of mechanism which sprayed those riders with brake fluid on Two Face at SFA last year.

But even then the film is still wrong because Arrows don't have hydraulic systems on-board, the restraints are mechanical.

But even then the film is still wrong because Arrows don't have hydraulic systems on-board, the restraints are mechanical.

The coaster in the movie is a Vekoma.