TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Europe Trip 2008" Thread!

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...IMO you could have also visited the neighbor park: Schloß Beck.

Umm... We did. We had so much fun there, I would imagine it will be in a separate update.

Someone needs to post the video of Steve and Lou on Bandit!

Looooooooooooooooool @ Divv. What exactly was in a Zombie?? Sounds interesting......

Petrol! I'm not exactly sure believe it or not, I just drank the thing. I'm sure there was lots of rum though!

I seem to remember it tasting quite nice! Have a look...

1602427874_SS856747(Custom).JPG.94aa000392d8680985357a9769e2f8b2.JPG

Don't be fooled by Lou's innocent look. She was the one who brought the Zombie up.

Although I did bring the Zombie up a few hours later in a different way (and place).

As much as I do like Heide-Park, I simply don't get the complete and utterly blind adoration going on here for Colossos.

When I see you all suffer in pain when riding Bandit, I just don't get it everyone smiling on Colossos.

I rode it on many occasions by now and apart from when it just opened, I very much dislike the ride and during my last visit, I didn't even bother to queue.

The ride simply has square wheels and in every dip it goes "kadong-kadong" with pain all the way through your spine to give you one hell of a headache throughout the ride and make you whish you didn't ride after you exited.

The layout isn't very inspiring and the helix is booooring in such a way that I am happy the "kadong" when exiting it wakes me up.

Germany has three wooden coasters in total and the fact that with the opening of Mammut at Tripsdrill, many people in Germany and Europe were hoping to finally get a great woodie in Germany, says it all.

Heide-Park is a very nice park, but blind Colossos (and Intamin)-adoration is about as painful as riding it).

Awesome TR Rob. IMO you could have also visited the neighbor park: Schloß Beck.

Actually, we did it right after Movie Park Germany! Same day, too!

Be patient, and this TR should continue with the little "Ride-It-Yourself" Park, LOL!

(Edit: Oops, sorry Jeff - didn't catch you already answering to this. Never hurts to mention again though, hmm? )

^^Maybe you've just been catching it on bad days.

This group speaks their mind, and there isn't any "blind Intamin adoration" going on. The ride ran much better this year than it did in 2005 when I also felt the square wheels syndrome going on quite a bit.

It has great airtime, it's smooth, lots of fun, you should be happy to have such a great woodie nearby! I'd take it over Troy (and most woodies!) ANYDAY!!!!

The ride simply has square wheels and in every dip it goes "kadong-kadong" with pain all the way through your spine to give you one hell of a headache throughout the ride and make you whish you didn't ride after you exited.

I, obviously, haven't ridden Colossos as much as others (5x in 2002 and 7x on this visit), but I've never come across this opinion.

Granted in 2002, all rides were in the rain, and this time the early morning rides were also in the rain. But the afternoon rides were dry.

It was, both times, a very smooth ride. No "square wheel" type rides whatsoever. I don't think anyone in our group had any problems with it at all. that's why we kept riding. Great first drop and plenty of airtime over the course of the ride.

It's not my favorite woodie by any means (somewhere in my top 15 though) but a good ride nonetheless.

As far as Bandit - Bad ride. Painful throughout. But still much better than Anaconda. OMG! That's the first coaster I ever felt like I needed a bra to ride. I hope Anaconda takes the LAST spot in Mitch's poll this year. Much worse than Bandit, White Cyclone or Grizzly - IMO. Much worse.

JJ

I'm with Jon on this. TdZ, Troy, then Colossos.

TdZ ran exceptionally well, much better than in 2002!! It really was the great coaster I imagined it was in 2002. It was something like 98 degrees when we were there that day and the track seemed like it was bending under the heat. Not a bad ride, but bumpier than I expected. This time it was just awesome!!

I really enjoy the latest batch of GCI coasters (except for Renegade) and Troy comes in second of my favorite GCI's only to the Ozark Wildcat, Kentucky Rumbler third, and Thunderhead a distant forth.

Colossos is a good, airtime filled ride. Not what I look for in a wood coaster though. I like directional changes, heavy laterals and airtime. I like the out-of-control feeling that many do deliver.

JJ

OMG, that picture!!

I'd forgotten you had your camera that night!! I was so sensible. LOL at petrol.

Stupid Steve!!!!

Erik, I love your relaxed attitude. I also find it amusing that no actual stories have been posted yet.

^ Not that I'm Elissa, but yes, they did. I think we all did. I hadn't ridden EGF prior to last year but still said it was ridiculously trimmed, the first half of the ride was "a religious experience" (Hi Dave L!) but slamming into those trims... Blah. This year it was 20 times better, I loved it.

As for the Colossus love, I totally totally get it, but don't feel the adoration for it that many others seem to. Don't get me wrong though, there was *nothing* wrong with the ride: really smooth, incredible airtime, fun layout, etc etc. I just didn't seem to feel the passion and enthusiasm that a lot of people did! I'd probably "rank" (I don't really rank, just group...) it equally with Troy, although they're very different rides I loved them equally. I want to go back to Heide Park someday when I'm not sick and see if I feel any differently about it. That was a particularly bad day, cough-wise, and I didn't take advantage of ERT AT ALL, though I did go back and have a great ride on Colossus late afternoon.

Now for Terry's commentary:

He looked so pityful. Gotta be more careful!

Wake up in the back!

TPR presents "The Nutcracker". Seriously, who designed that crap? (Chuck, great minds think alike... I immediately called that thing the Nutcracker as soon as I got off. I was walking hunched over for about 10 minutes!)

Ron looks like he's having a blast. The rest? Not so much. (Are ya into pain, Ron?) Divv looks like he's gonna hurl (Erik are you laughing at him?), I'm screaming for my momma, and Steve... well words can't convey!

In honor of Bandit, I'm singing "My Neck, My Back"

As much as I do like Heide-Park, I simply don't get the complete and utterly blind adoration going on here for Colossos.

When I see you all suffer in pain when riding Bandit, I just don't get it everyone smiling on Colossos.

I rode it on many occasions by now and apart from when it just opened, I very much dislike the ride and during my last visit, I didn't even bother to queue.

The layout isn't very inspiring and the helix is booooring in such a way that I am happy the "kadong" when exiting it wakes me up.

Heide-Park is a very nice park, but blind Colossos (and Intamin)-adoration is about as painful as riding it).

While I can appreciate your opinion and glad that you won't be in line in front of me next time I ride Colossos, I think it's EXTREMELY rude to call our "blind adoration" because we all liked something you didn't.

Colossos was ranked #17 in the world last year. So while it's obviously not enough people's favorite to rank it higher, it would appear there are plenty of people who disagree with you.

I have ridden Colossos now in 2002, 2005, and 2008. I have not expereienced the pain you describe.

--Robb

Chrissie - to answer your q a while back about what is a zombie (answer Divv) - sorry I meant what is in a Zombie, as ever when it comes to mixed drinks, things can vary (B52's are my all time favourite BTW)

The classic as can be found in Wiki...and subsequent posts seem to hint this could be the magic mix would be the following:

1 part white rum (bacardi to make more sense of that)

1 part golden rum (try Captain Morgan's spiced rum -great substitute)

1 part dark rum (any old Navy rum will do...but mainly Navy Rum)

1 part apricot brandy (you can make this at home take 1 apricot and soak in any cheap cooking brandy for 6 weeks)

1 part pineapple juice (must be fresh from the flesh, tinned juice Meh)

1 part papaya juice (or anything that is not pineapple or Cranberry)

A dash of grenadine (cough mixture will pass muster, Night Nurse say but it must be red, blood is too thick a consistency BTW)

and the magic ingredient

1/2 part (please note only a 1/2) of 151 proof rum (best sought from Bermuda but failing that Iceland)

Mix, beld, pour over ice, add a cherry and a slice and hey presto - DEATH

Lou - if I had not already a wicked step mother - you would be her, albeit I find myself conflicted out being your uncle...go figure.

A GREAT night not remembered by ALL

1 part white rum (bacardi to make more sense of that)

1 part golden rum (try Captain Morgan's spiced rum -great substitute)

1 part dark rum (any old Navy rum will do...but mainly Navy Rum)

1 part apricot brandy (you can make this at home take 1 apricot and soak in any cheap cooking brandy for 6 weeks)

1 part pineapple juice (must be fresh from the flesh, tinned juice Meh)

1 part papaya juice (or anything that is not pineapple or Cranberry)

A dash of grenadine (cough mixture will pass muster, Night Nurse say but it must be red, blood is too thick a consistency BTW)

and the magic ingredient

1/2 part (please note only a 1/2) of 151 proof rum (best sought from Bermuda but failing that Iceland)

Mix, beld, pour over ice, add a cherry and a slice and hey presto - DEATH

This is NOT the same Zombie served at Phantasialand, which has different rums and different fruit juices. However, it is close enough, and still a lethal drink of destruction.

Uncle Steve, as your niece, I was proud to be a bad influence. The most sober person must take responsibility for the actions of the others. Except Jes, who was sensible enough to take responsibility for himself and merely have a vodka. Smart guy.