TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFGadv: Quick Trip Report 6/20

Went to the park on Friday for my second trip of the year (got to get my Season Passes' worth) with my friend Ian. Pulling up to the toll plaza at about 10:45 AM the lines weren't too bad, and the lot didn't seem packed either. Get to my usual parking area and see hundreds of middle school kids getting off busses, but it didn't actually turn out too bad.

We enter the park and head staight for TDK. I hadn't been on it yet and was eager to see if it was as disappointing as I had predicted it would be. It was. I wrote a pretty big rant on it on another forum but I'll feature highlights of that here. TDK review:

-Queue Area/Exterior: Well landscaped. Flatscreen TVs were repetitive and annoying, especially that "mom" actress. The programming they had on the TVs back in the day (Looney Tunes / Park History and Facts) was infinitely better. This programming is barely more than advertisements and concert clips of people that will likely not perform at the park until their carreers are in the toilet. No excuse whatsoever for not painting all sides of the building. 1/5

-Preshow: Awesome. Probably would've been more awesome if people didn't shut up until the glitches started happening. They should post a sign or have ride attendants instruct people that they should be paying attention to this, because (IMHO) they are missing the best part of the whole ride. 5/5

-Station Theming: The ride has been open for one month and five days. I saw one Joker card and two rats. They know what kind of people go to this park, those things should've been more secure. Otherwise, everything thematically was very well done. 5/5 in theory, 4.5/5 in its present state.

-Station Operation: Moving-while-loading is cool but will eventually get people hurt and if there's a holdup they're going to need to stop cars mid-ride at the block brakes, which will kill the "experience." Also, while I was there, attendants were doing a terrible job with lining up groups. Groups of four automatically went to the front while twos (my group) and ones had to wait until they had four people to fill a car. I highly doubt the ride is so sensitve that it won't function properly with only two people in a car. Yes, while it does add to the overall efficiency of the ride, the actual guest experience suffers unless you're in a group of four. 2/5

-Ride as a Coaster: It's a mouse. I've had a low opinion of them from the start and this one doesn't change anything. Back and forth, back and forth, hill here, hill there, back and forth, and so on. Boring. I will say that a few of the drops caught me by surprise and gave some airtime, which was a plesant surprise. I suppose it's still better than a non-operating coaster, but still. 2/5

-Ride Theming: I think I saw maybe 5 things that were lit up, all in the first part "back and forth" part of the ride. Sure, they may be more than cardboard cutouts, but at the speed you're moving it doesn't matter since you don't have time to take in the detail. Maybe there was more intended and maybe some things weren't working, but that doesn't matter to the actual guest experience. 2/5

Summary: Will not ride again unless it's a walk-on.

Grabbed a 3-dollar fountain soda from the HBO Commissary (or whatever they call it now). Handed to me without a lid. I asked for one, and the clerk kindly told me "there are no lids in the entire park." We can spend 7.5 million dollars+ on TDK, the parade, ride removal, and getting brand new shirts for every employee, but can't buy lids for the cups? Just plain ridiculous.

From there we decided to head to Kingda Ka before lines got too bad; as we enter the Golden Kingdom I notice the ride isn't running and large crowds are walking away from it. Get closer and notice the station had been cleared; more than just an item on the launch track. Oh well.

Superman's line seemed short enough (just the first set of switchbacks), so we went for it. Pretty bad operation with the previous train sitting on the transfer brake for about 5 minutes each time. One time they almost had the previous train roll in to the station without stopping at any brakes, but...nope, just missed it. Meh ride as usual, but the bottom of the pretzel loop in the back row is still something to be experienced. Since when are the ankle restraints not linked with the OSTR? It seemed odd having the attendants running through kicking each seat's bar, which probably contributed to the slow operation.

I'm a sucker for classic Arrows regardless of how rough they are, and headed to GASM for a 2-train wait for the 2nd row of the first car. Smoother than last time, and a pleasing ride overall.

El Toro's line was nearly out of the queue, so we decided to hit it later. Same with Medusa. Back to the 'east' side we go via the Skyride, which was nearly a walk-on.

10-15 minute wait for back row of Skull Mountain. Things were lit up and the strobes were working. Good forceful ride in the back as always.

30 minute wait for back row of Nitro, good as usual. Now, throughout the day I'd been noticing that the Locker Policy seems to slow down operations more than help. This was the worst: A guest went to place five souvenier cups on the exit side of the platform and he was advised that he couldn't put them there. He went to place them on the exit ramp and was told quite rudely that he couldn't put them there either. He was finally told that if he left them anywhere they'd be thrown out. He left them on top of the trash can and as soon as he was secured in the seat a ride attendant placed them in the trash can. I can ensure you that that guest's group (and the five people they tell, and the five people each of them tell, and so) will not be buying any more $10 souvenier cups from this park. It's just not good business practice. I'll also note that before this, the ride was operating with ZERO stacking. There is no reason for this policy other than financial motives; other parks operate just as efficiently if not moreso while allowing riders to leave items on the platform/in a cubby.

From there, a nice short wait on Batman (line started just after entering the former "junkyard" with no switchbacks being used). Back row, forceful as usual. Laughed at TDK a bit more and then headed back to Ka. Still broken. Back to the 'west' side.

El Toro was in the first section of switchbacks. Great ride in the back row with my usual "prevent-stabling and get an arms-width between me and the lab bar" rick. Feels like its getting rougher, which in my opinion is a great thing (you may remember my rants last year about it being "so smooth that it doesn't count as a woodie").

10 minute wait for front row on Rolling Thunder left side. Very glad to see the left side running, as it is the much smoother and better of the two and usually only the right is running.

It's around 6:30 PM and we notice that Ka is running again, but we'd both been on it several times and decided it wasn't worth the wait. Visited some old friends that still work there and left. Took a drive to Seaside Heights to get some 3 Brothers Pizza and visit some former co-workers. The place was DEAD for a Friday night; guess the gas prices really are hurting tourism business. Wasn't even much nice scenery of the female variety to check out, and those that were there were way too young. Or maybe I'm just getting old. ::shrug:: Played some classic games are the Funtown Pier arcade and called it a day.

Highlights:

-short lines for just about everything

-increased Security presence

Lowlights:

-TDK

-Locker Policy in action

-No lids for cups

-despite increased Security presence, linecutting was still abundant and officers witnessing it didn't seem to care

Summary:

Good enough trip, but I can't see myself going back this year unless it's with my pops or I happen to be in the area and someone else wants to go. An '09 Season Pass will certainly not be in my future.

Here's the link to my TDK rant on the other forum:

http://www.gadv.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=359442

Lots of other general park commentary there, namely a list of ways I feel the TDK money could've been better spent.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the lids are being phased out of the park because of the dolphin show from what I have been told. I have also been hearing that straws may even be eliminated. Not sure if this is a state regulation or a park regulation. It has nothing to do with running out or saving money.