TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags ads called racist?

Bucket

Dan Snyder’s infirm theme park chain, Six Flags, announced not long ago it was cutting back on its advertising outsourcing as part of a budget slash.

Every penny helps, since Six Flags is over $2 billion-with-a-b in debt.

But perhaps the company coulda used those extra eyeballs looking at the ads produced for this year’s high season before letting ‘em hit tv sets. Because the spots they ended up with — as part of a campaign featuring an Asian guy with some sort of accent screaming “More Flags! More Fun!” — are being called things way worse than dumb on blogs and message boards.

Like: “Racist.”

Among those tagging the Six Flags ad campaign with the R word are bloggers Angry Chinese Guy and Angry Asian Man.

Here’s part of Angry (and, judging solely by his sporadic blogging, Kinda Lazy) Chinese Guy’s takedown of the Six Flags spots:

The Asian guy, of course, has an accent and does not properly pronounce the words correctly. He doesn’t even speak in complete sentences! He just barks out short phrases. I don’t know about you, but that’s pretty damn racist…We want more Asian representation in the media, but damn if this is all we’re going to get, then forget it. The saying goes something like “Bad publicity is still publicity”…fuck that. This only furthers the stereotypes of Asian people and we really don’t need this. This damn commercial puts us back a few years. It tries to play off of the Japanese commercials where the guy pops up (just as this guy does) and sells a product. How often have we seen this type of satire? LOTS. Now Six Flags is taking this ignorance nationwide, helping to deliver this stereotypical portrayal of Asians into households everywhere!

The “More Flags!” screamer is the first pitchman Six Flags has had since Mr. Six, who was deep sixed by Snyder shortly after he took the chain’s reins in 2005.

Nobody ever called Mr. Six racist. “Pedophile” was thrown his way a lot, however.

Keep the dial right here for all the breaking news in Snyder’s Six Flags soap opera.

Thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't think it is racist. Granted I've not seen the advert but from the quote above it doesn't sound racist. A random guy shouting short sharp sentences makes me think immediately of an American or European cheap advert. The ones on blue screen with some bloke dressed up as a king shouting "EXTRA SAVINGS EXTRA FUN" etc etc.

It's just being blown out of proportion as usual by overly pc people.

This damn commercial puts us back a few years.

Sure, and the way China has treated the Tibetan people further exemplifies the outstanding humanity and intelligence of one of the nations you're trying to defend against a Six Flags ad, right?

Again, someone remind me...who is "Angry Asian Man" and "Angry Chinese Guy?" Oh, they're random nobodies who have a blog? Oh, okay. Yeah, let me put down what I'm doing to listen to more of their insightful commentary on the world. No thanks.

These morons are gonna be pretty busy blogging, I guess....'cause I'm sure ABC's "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" will do wonders for the image of Asians worldwide.

Were they intended to be racist? No. Can I see why people might be upset? Yes. Honestly, the first time I saw it, I cringed. It seems like a really ballsy/risky/stupid advertising move by Six Flags, especially in today's world. It just furthers the stereotype that Asians speak poor English. I mean, ask yourself a few questions...

1. Do you find the ads funny?

2. If you do, would it be as funny if the guy spoke in more complete sentences without the Asian accent?

Ultimately, if it's not more funny with the Asian accent, you have to ask why Six Flags would risk offending people with such a move.

Again, I don't think it was intended to be racist, but people love getting bent out of shape about things these days, and this just seemed like an obvious one to me.

Sounds more like grandstanding to me.

Then again, it's always easy to cast judgement when it's not your own culture being satired.

I'm sure some people would think differently if it was a foreign add with a fat American cramming his face with McDonalds.

I'd consider it racist if it went "Mole Frags! Mole Fun! Six Frags!" being voiced like the City Wok guy on South Park.

I second that. I really think that this is taken too far by some guy who is just overly sensitive. It shouldn't be taken as rascist.

---Brent

^Yep!

While I posted an argument in favor of those offended on the first page, I just simply meant that I can understand why, in today's world, there is a commotion over it. In the end though, people just need to lighten up. What's funny is if Six Flags constantly produced commercials and advertisements with nothing but white people, they'd get accused of being racist as well. Marketers have to be so careful these days. It's kind of sad really.

Heres the commercial there talking about....

Not really racist to me there are plenty of commercials with random people popping up and just saying random junk...I dont find this racist at all, and since it wasnt intended to be either, I wouldnt even call it CLOSE to racist, if anything this video portrays animal abuse on making animals (the whale/dolphin thing) do tricks in front of a crowd many times a day, thats what Id sew them for. (If there was anything to sew about in the first place....)

^ The poor performer stuck in that wahle suit, sucks to have that job.

And I'm more offended that the japanese make this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er0u0rLOaR0

I mean really is that all they see American's as? Cowboys in the middle of a desert?

And this one:

As the Governor of California (and apparently everyother adult male in the world) we should all have Direct TV.

I'm sure some people would think differently if it was a foreign add with a fat American cramming his face with McDonalds.

Na I am pretty sure we have ads like this in America.(just like they have ads like the six flags commercial in there own country's) Its just that people are going to whine when they can. In my home town we have a commercial for a local Chinese food place, and after showing a bunch of Americans enjoying the food and talking about it, Sunny(the owner) comes on the screen and in the most stereotypical accent ever says "And remember, sunny say eat mo' Chinese food." Its just because of the way the world is and everyone knows they can say something stupid and at least a hundred other people will read and listen.. Everyone takes everything to far

So, I watched the commercial and the guy's accent wasn't that bad. I could understand clearly what he was saying...and the tone of the advertisement didn't sound/look to be racist in any way to me. I think people are taking it the wrong way...but ah, thats life.

This day in age though, people don't care about "intentions." I have no doubt Six Flags did not intend the commercials to come off as racist and I have no doubt that the accusers know this as well. However, intentions don't matter. If intentions were taken into perspective, many derogatory slurs that exist today would have a different, non-derogatory meaning.

Accusations like the ones aimed at Six Flags are just the next level of this. It doesn't matter what the intentions are, people will find anything they to find offense and cause a scene out of little to nothing.

Opinions are like backsides. Everybody has one and they're all shaped differently.

Glean from that what you will.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to live on our planet,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now to your point of origin or the nearest convenient parallel dimension!

Fixed.