TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My drawing of Hersheypark

I thought I would share with you all a project I have been working on for quite some time. It is a pencil drawing of Hersheypark that I have been working on since 2003 and have updated it as the park continues to change.

What I plan to do here is show you all an overview of the drawing with a list of the changes and additions that were done that season. I hope this will help bring back the memories of past trips that you have experienced.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/HPC...heypark2003.jpg

2003 Season:

-New Music Box Theatre

-Frontier Flyers added

-Claw added

-Mini Scrambler added

-Cyclops removed

-Conestoga removed

-Euro Bungee added

-Mixed Grille, Wrustburg Grill, Tumbleweed's Taco added

-Frontier Virtual Theatre added

-M.S. Hershey statue added

-Starlight Arcade removed

-Livery Stables relocated

-Well Cargo removed

-Starship America temprarily removed

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/HPC...eypark20041.jpg

2004 Season:

-Storm Runner added

-Balloon Flite temporarily removed

-Get the Picture booth in Carrousel Circle added

-Chocolate World awning changed

-Trolley Works awning / boarding area outside Chocolate World added

-Music changed in Tudor Square / Rhineland to oldies and Hershey-themed music

-mamma ilardo's pizza is discontinued

-Famous Familgia's pizza is added

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/HPC...park20051-1.jpg

2005 Season:

-Giant Wheel removed

-Nightlights removed (its remains remain in Midway America for the season and are removed at the end of 2005)

-Carrousel Circle changes to Founder's Circle

-New shade arbors around the Carrousel

-Carrousel Cone is removed

-Balloon Flite re-opens

-Starship America re-opens

-Milkmen Show debuts

-Trashcan Band relocates to Music Box Theatre

-Character Photo Spot debuts in Rhineland

-Alpine Arcade is removed

-Trailblazer and Roller Soaker get new paintjobs

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/HPC...y-September.jpg

2006 Season:

-Reese's X-treme Cup Challenge is added

-Major construction for 2007 project (the Boardwalk) begins in Midway America

-Chaos is removed

-Ben & Jerry's and Green's Ice Cream are discontinued. Replaced with Cold Stone and Turkey Hill Ice Creams stands.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/HPC...ypark2007-1.jpg

2007 Season:

-The Boardwalk is added

-Euro Bungee is removed

-The Paddleboats are discontinued

-Park celebrates its centennial with lots of decorations throughout

-Saturday night fireworks debut

-Tidal Force, Canyon River Rapids and Roller Soaker are added to the Boardwalk with the first two having their entrances/exits re-routed to deposit park guests to and from the Boardwalk.

-Coastline Plunge debuts

-East Coast Waterworks debuts

-The Waverider debuts

-Sandcastle Cove debuts

-Bayside Pier debuts

-Kissing Tower Marketplace / Gourmet Grille is added

-Wok and Roll Chinese Restaurant is removed

-Historical markers describing moments of the park's history are added throughout the park

-Famous Famiglia's pizza and Decades eateries, and a portion of Midway America all become part of the Boardwalk

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/HPC...eypark20081.jpg

2008 Season:

-Western Chute Out is removed

-Fahrenheit is added

-Frontier Virtual Theatre is removed

-Rock Climbing Wall is removed

-The Howler is added

-Old Rhineland Skyride Station received a completely new paintjob since it's been built

-Old "Hershey Park" entrance (1907-1970) is re-created with the re-location of the Elk Statue from a planter next to ZooAmerica's entrance to a pedestal resembling the old park entrance, and positioned across from the Flying Falcon.

-Cold Stone Creamery stand between the Fender Bender and Skyview receives a make-over

-Midway Emporium changes its name to "Fun in the Sun" shop

-Hershey's Characters appear more randomly throughout the park

-Hershey's Kiss meet and greet spot next to the Kissing Tower debuts

-Two giant Hershey's Kisses are added to the top of the Kissing Tower's entrance

-Coal Cracker's final drop is completely refurbished

I hope you enjoy the photos and information. As the park continues to change, so will my drawing, so stay tuned!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I decided to do Hershey was because of several reasons:

1) It's my home park. I feel at home there, vs Dorney, which is the second closest major theme park to me.

2) Their park map gets lousier on there every season (Storm Runner looks like someone drew a red line with a magic marker on there). They should go with the style Cedar Fair or most Six Flags parks use on their maps.

3) It's been awhile since I have seen a good, accurate, close to scale layout of the park. I have a souvenir map from 1995/96 that has what the park looked like then.

4) I dont know other parks well enough to do something like this. The only one that I could maybe try would be the Magic Kingdom (WDW) but still, that would be a complicated one to try with. I used to visit Dutch Wonderland when I was younger until 1995 when I switched over to becoming a Hershey fanatic. I know where every service gate is, every backstage path, and just every detail of the place by heart. I don't even need a map to navigate through the park itself. I just pick up park maps each year because I collect them.

When Giant Wheel was taken out and Midway was modified to fit in the Boardwalk, as well as Western Chute Out coming down sort of frustrated me, as I did not want to remove those items off the drawing. The exact reason why I snap a picture of it before changes like that are made.

This is amazing! You have an obvious talent on your hands...

If I were you, I'd contact management and let them see this. Who knows what doors can open for you with one glance at this!?!

I know, but I was wondering if anyone at this site may have contact within Hershey management, that they could see this.

If I could, I would love to take the drawing to Hershey myself, if only I knew the person/people within management I would need to arrange to meet with.

Your artistic skills are awe-inspiring. I mean, I can't believe you drew all that amazingly accurate (and proportional) detail by hand. I would totally try contacting Hershey Park, who knows what that could lead to. Well done!

-Doug

I just sent an email (with a link to the 2008 map image) to the park. I basically told them about the drawing and my love for art and amusement parks, as well as my first experience on Fahrenheit and the left front seat of Great Bear. So let's all keep our fingers crossed!

Haven't really measured it, but the whole thing unfolds to a rather large drawing, which also includes the entire parking lot and Giant Center. I am trying to fix up some things at that end, so it is currently not ready for anyone to see.

You have a lot of spare time on your hands.......

No, he has alot of talent, devotion and enjoys drawing.

When you like doing something, you find time to do it.

I hate it when people say stuff along the lines of what you said. Makes it look like he just belched out a drawing because he was bored and there was nothing good on TV.

You have a lot of spare time on your hands.......

No, he has alot of talent, devotion and enjoys drawing.

When you like doing something, you find time to do it.

I hate it when people say stuff along the lines of what you said. Makes it look like he just belched out a drawing because he was bored and there was nothing good on TV.

I agree. This is the same thing with my RCT parks. I don't spend the whole day working on them and I usually am busy for most of the day.

Matt puts a lot of time and effort into his drawings because he likes to do it.

To set the record straight with padresguy619's post, I don't sit all day and work on a drawing, especially when I did this one. First off, I have a full time job so I work eight hours a day, five days a week. I usually devote time to drawing if I feel up to it, which is mostly in the evenings or on weekends if I am not occupied doing other things.