TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Kings Dominion Dominator Media Day

cfc

they look pretty small to me when I went to Magic Mountain in '06 I was about 310lbs. and I had no problems getting onto all of the B&M coasters over there (except Riddler's where there was a moderate dificulty getting onto it) and I also got onto Silver Bullet at Knott's with next to no problems.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing all of the nice photos.

1. It looks like it is missing some supports.

If you look at the 3rd group of pictures posted, in picture number 13. You can see in two spots on the track where I would think supports were once installed, but they did not install them here at KD. Why?

Does anyone know why they are missing, or if there was ever supports put here?

2. Also I like how they kept the old Batman colors on the loop. I guess it is some kind of tribute of where it came from and what it looked like?

3. Also I think they should have change the color purple on the trains to the same shade of blue that is used on the coasters supports.

Those are brackets for the inspection catwalks, because that whole section was over the lake at Geauga.

they look pretty small to me when I went to Magic Mountain in '06 I was about 310lbs. and I had no problems getting onto all of the B&M coasters over there (except Riddler's where there was a moderate dificulty getting onto it) and I also got onto Silver Bullet at Knott's with next to no problems.

I know that Alpengeist at BGE has seats for accomodating larger guests in rows five and six (which may be the same for other B&M inverteds). These seats have two belts, but I didn't notice if this was the same for Dominator.

Very glad this monster got a great new home. Looks like they're missing some theming though. The turnaround for the corkscrews looks reall bare. I love the new paint job though. Did they just keep the old paint scheme for the loop? And those are new trains aren't they?

That sucks that the queue doesn't go under the cobra roll. Was very intimidating to go under it at Geauga Lake. Seemed to signal "no escape" and made the cobra roll look bigger.

Here's an interesting commercial for Dominator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja-wSaRjCuc

I got a question: i thought Viper at SFMM had the tallest loop? They must be measureing the size of the loop itself and not any hills the train goes up before making the loop. I would appreciate any help on this, because Iam a bit confused.

here is also a video of a reporter on Dominator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3hlfFr_rYs&NR=1

Actually I think Volcano still has the highest inversion at 155ft

Viper has a normal (Arrow) size loop but it is just high (140ft I believe)

Dominator's loop is the tallest in the sense that the whole inversion is 135ft

Similar to the fact that high roller at Stratosphere was the "Highest" coaster but not the "tallest"

any of that make sense?

JEFF

hope they put some pod seed down. that dirt/mud area looks out of place at kings dominion. cant wait to see how much better it looks when the grass grows in, and hopefully KD will put a few young trees to grow on the inside perimiter of the gate between Dominator and the parking lot. I've never really liked Dominator as a floorless coaster (When at Geauga Lake) as far as the ride aspect, but i'm glad it's at KD now. KD finally has a 4 seats to a row coaster, it so needed for those busy saturdays.

There does seem to be some confusion as to the loop statistics on Dominator.

I heard that the loop is 141 feet high from the very top of the loop to the ground. If I am not mistaken, the base track of Dominator's loop is bolted directly to the concrete footers on the ground. The train elevation change is 135 feet from the base of the loop to the top (running track).

I am 6'3" tall, just because I decide to stand on a 10 foot elevated platform apart from everyone else, does not make me the tallest person in the world.

Same goes for a "standard" size loop on a coaster like SFMM's Viper. Just because the loops are elevated high above the ground does not make them the biggest or tallest loop inversions in the world. They certainly could be the highest elevated loop inversions in the world.

Based on the logic above, I feel that Dominator holds the record as the biggest and tallest loop inversion in the world to date.

You are the height of just too muchery, Chuck! you crack me up. Thanks for the awesome report. i have to admit to an overwhelming desire to look at your car now....

-F'laf

Chicks dig the Saturn.

I know that Alpengeist at BGE has seats for accomodating larger guests in rows five and six (which may be the same for other B&M inverteds). These seats have two belts, but I didn't notice if this was the same for Dominator.

Yea I seen those seat belts in front of me on one ride, I believe its in one of the middle rows.

There does seem to be some confusion as to the loop statistics on Dominator.

I heard that the loop is 141 feet high from the very top of the loop to the ground. If I am not mistaken, the base track of Dominator's loop is bolted directly to the concrete footers on the ground. The train elevation change is 135 feet from the base of the loop to the top (running track).

I am 6'3" tall, just because I decide to stand on a 10 foot elevated platform apart from everyone else, does not make me the tallest person in the world.

Same goes for a "standard" size loop on a coaster like SFMM's Viper. Just because the loops are elevated high above the ground does not make them the biggest or tallest loop inversions in the world. They certainly could be the highest elevated loop inversions in the world.

Based on the logic above, I feel that Dominator holds the record as the biggest and tallest loop inversion in the world to date.

I was about to say somethig like that-it must depend on the tallest point of the loop and where the track leaves the ground (such as the loops of floorless coasters like Dominator), not on if thetrain goes up a hill and then a loop like Viper.

I rode Dominator at Geagua Lake two summers ago, and I LOVED it!!! It was such a SMOOTH coaster that it LITERALLY brought tears of joy to my eyes!! I may not have the coaster experience of many of you on this site, but I want everyone to know what a thing of beauty Dominator is!!!

Great pics and great captions! Glad this coaster was saved and installed elaewhere. (hope I have that right, otherwise I'm high on the duh meter again). I've never been on a coaster with (I'll get this wrong, I know) one of the curves that banks to where the cars are horizontal with the ground (90 degree bank?). Is that painful? Kinda looks it.

So you have a Saturn. No one's perfect, I guess..where does Hummel Boy ride, on the roof or the grill?

Scott

Dominator opens today woohoo!!!!! I can't wait to get down there come late july to take a few laps on this thing.KD did a great job on the placement of this ride,along with the entrance plaza & I can hardly wait to see it in person because photos just don't do it justice.

If anyone's going to the park today just be sure to get plenty of pics for the rest of us.

^You have it right--Dominator was originally at Geauga Lake in Ohio. As for the Saturn, this is my second one (never had an problems with them).

And, hey, chicks dig the Saturn.

Chicks love Dominator, not so much Saturns!javascript:emoticon(':?r')

Dunno, the Saturn dealer I had sucked, and my old Saturn leaked transmission fluid all over.

Anyway, I'm sure Dominator has better maintenance!

^I use a Panasonic Lumix. I think pdkcoaster (aka Jeff) uses a Canon (Cyber Shot?), which is more like an SLR (a much nicer camera).

^^As for Saturns, I have owned two of them and never had a serious problem with either (the first-year models did have electrical issues, I understand).