TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

p. 337 - New Six Flags Hallowfest information!

Yes, there is a boat load of land. They own all of the wooded areas around the park.

The forest east of Six Flags is owned by the State of Maryland Department of Natural Resources because it is partly old growth forest. It is not even open to public access due to rare species.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was down in MD visiting friends this weekend and after making a quick stop at American Dream on Friday on the ride down (threw a couple pictures on FB), I started the ride back with a stop at American

I was at the park on that day, too. It was actually my first visit, and I couldn't have picked a better day to experience the desolation that is Six Flags America on a November Sunday. There's no way

Posted Images

The attached image shows the land that Six Flags America owns (the areas within the yellow lines). According to Six Flags' filings with the SEC, SFA owns 515 acres with 300 remaining developable acres. With regards to total acres, SFA has the second most total acres of all Six Flags parks behind SFGAdv (2200 acres) and ahead of Great Escape (345 acres). With regards to remaining developable acres, SFA and SFGAdv (456 developable acres) are the only two Six Flags owned properties with >50 remaining developable acres (again, all according to Six Flags' SEC filings).

With regards to usage of remaining land, Six Flags America has strict regulations to noise levels at their property line. As such, unless they are building a show building or something else that would result in no sound increases, they cannot build to their borders and need to be cautious about putting rides that do cause a lot of noise (like coasters, especially launched coasters) too close to the property lines.

Additionally, SFA has a lot of protected wetlands that go right through the center of the property. While it's not impossible to cross or go around these areas, they do present challenges.

The best option (in my opinion) is the land to the south and west in the property (about where the blue placer is on the below map). But connecting this to the rest of the park would be challenging. It would be an ideal place for a separate gate water park (allowing them to incorporate the area of the current water park into the main park) or for some other separate gate attraction (like a shopping area or up-charge park) but I doubt that attendance at SFA is sufficient to justify such an addition.

28619548_10156115593369854_7856425908872723892_o.thumb.jpg.5287a079c65be612caa98cefa2baff33.jpg

Has anyone been to the park for the opening weekend, specifically Sunday? If so what was it like? I remember when I went to KD on opening day and it was more crowded than I have ever seen it, but at least all the rides were open.

Yes, there is a boat load of land. They own all of the wooded areas around the park.

A lot of the wooded areas can't be used or developed due to environmental laws. That's why a Fortnite based VR attraction would be great! Compact and doesn't need much land development, but would be entertaining!

Six Flags have already tested VR on coasters, a full VR attraction is next logical step!

dude.

just give it up. . Fortnite isn't gonna happen.

Shhh...the more we talk about it, the longer we draw it out

Which happens first? We forget Fortnight or we get that path from the back of CC to Batman.

A lot of the wooded areas can't be used or developed due to environmental laws. That's why a Fortnite based VR attraction would be great!

tiffhilarious.jpg.5e01ee753c317a3a7bc8abbf82337224.jpg

The back half of Six Flags America is a giant empty barren wasteland. It looks like Forest Frontiers when you click out of the tutorial before Chris Sawyer has the chance to build anything.

They could probably build a Beast clone back there tomorrow and not have to clear any land or remove a single tree. Are you guys seriously wondering if Six Flags America has expansion space? The park is literally a giant expansion pad and has been for decades.

Why are we even talking about this? This is SFA afterall. You guys won’t get a new coaster, yet alone an expansion. Even if you got something, the current park past Wild One is still practically a giant field.

Why are we even talking about this? This is SFA afterall. You guys won’t get a new coaster, yet alone an expansion. Even if you got something, the current park past Wild One is still practically a giant field.

It's very possible we get a new coaster. We don't NEED a new coaster though, we need a family friendly dark ride! We haven't had one since the closure of Skull Mountain.

Love the color scheme. It reminds me of Tatsu, except for the black supports.

Also, completely nerdy and useless fact, but this is the first floorless conversion that actually decreased the capacity (not that this matters at SFA, but interesting nonetheless). Mantis/Rougarou maintained 8 cars per train, likewise Vortex/Patriot maintained 7. This one went from 7 on the stand-up to 6 on the floorless.

Apocalypse almost never got significant lines though, so dispatch time wasn’t really an issue on most days. Not sure how bad lines will be when Firebird opens.

^ I have little doubt there. When SFNE ran one train on Superman, they needed boarding passes. Meanwhile at SFA, they had one train on Superman and it was a walk-on.

Looking back, I don't think I've ever had to wait for anything at SFA outside of the spinning coaster.

The only reason I'm at all concerned is because it's a new ride. When Wonder Woman opened, it frequently got 45min waits for the first few months of operations when I saw it (and still sometimes gets significant lines). Idk how much of that is the newness factor vs. the type of ride it is though. I'm not expecting anything insane for Firebird, but it will probably get longer lines than Apocalypse.

The fact that a brand new, low capacity, high profile ride like that only got 45 minute lines in the first few days / weeks of operation is all you need to know.

^ I have little doubt there. When SFNE ran one train on Superman, they needed boarding passes. Meanwhile at SFA, they had one train on Superman and it was a walk-on.

Looking back, I don't think I've ever had to wait for anything at SFA outside of the spinning coaster.

I can vouch for that, Ragun Cajun does get decent lines

^ and Batwing, yes because of awful capacity, but also I've seen it fill a several switchbacks on multiple occasions

We rolled the dice and went in for the Pass Holder preview last night despite the rain around 5:15. Several rerides on WO in the front seat as there were two cars running. Had to be seated opposite of another couple on WW as there were only four of us on the ride. Walked on front row on Superman. That was the only ride that had enough people in the que that required a walk around to reride. We saw that Batman was actually running so we headed down there for a ride. Johnny Rockets, RC, fliers and a walk past FB and into CC and out by 7.

- Ride Ops were slow and confused

- FB has the nice sign but no other theming and needs more paint for sure

- The long anticipated restroom by Superman is currently just a cement pad

- Macho Nacho up and running

- Two freestyle machines in Tex's Turkey Legs and Dogs (They were giving out free popcorn to guests with memberships)

- Penguin was running?

- The deep fried food booth is now chicken cheese steaks and fries

- No more churros at the booth on main street

- They have repainted most of the yellow on curbs, steps... paint on the the red and blue on WO

- On ride photo available on the kiddie coaster

- JJ was closed and testing

- Rope lights added to the WO lift hill