TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Is the Apocalypse to Firebird transformation supposed to come with a new paint scheme? Or will the current one be retained?

I really hope they at least paint the big gray and orange B&M as part of this "transformation"

Is the Apocalypse to Firebird transformation supposed to come with a new paint scheme? Or will the current one be retained?

99% sure there will be a new paint job, but it likely won't come until the spring. Baynum Painting did the original paint job for the ride when they brought it in from SFGAm and I'm guessing they will do the repaint for this transformation. Baynum keeps a pretty active blog and FB page which will likely have pics of the work in progress (as SFA is usually pretty slow with posting any construction/improvement photos).

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone been seeing the hacking that is going on at multiple parks. Tell me if you see anything 'weird' in the attached pic.

Where's "Unnecessary floorless conversion of hand-me-down coaster that should have been scrapped years ago: the Ride?"

Seriously though. After riding Patriot, I feel like the older B&M Stand-Ups are just better off scrapped. Floorless trains turn them from a "completely sh*tty coaster" to a "this is actually kinda tolerable" coaster. I think there was a very strong case for Rougarou, but not so much for the smaller ones with uninteresting layouts.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out since it is Six Flags' first and we don't have any "real" concept imagery of the final product.

Saw on Instagram that someone met Black Panther at SFA...do ya'll think it was an official park character like Bugs Bunny or just some guest cosplaying?

Perhaps they met Batman and were confused.

there is zero chance that it was an official park character

and only slightly better than zero chance it was a guest cosplaying (as the park isn't going to let someone in wearing a mask - not likely at Halloween, so certainly not gonna happen at Christmas).

haven't seen the picture, but *most likely*?.. one of the actors from the film was at the park, and someone took a pic?

(I don't recall seeing any DC Comics characters in the park anywhere, when I was at SFA over the summer. . but then again, Batwing was down at the time, so maybe they hang out back there near Superman/Batwing)

Has anyone been seeing the hacking that is going on at multiple parks. Tell me if you see anything 'weird' in the attached pic.

Where's "Unnecessary floorless conversion of hand-me-down coaster that should have been scrapped years ago: the Ride?"

Seriously though. After riding Patriot, I feel like the older B&M Stand-Ups are just better off scrapped. Floorless trains turn them from a "completely sh*tty coaster" to a "this is actually kinda tolerable" coaster. I think there was a very strong case for Rougarou, but not so much for the smaller ones with uninteresting layouts.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out since it is Six Flags' first and we don't have any "real" concept imagery of the final product.

I just feel like there isn't enough substance in a stand-up coaster to warrant it standing alone as a floorless coaster (no pun intended). I could see a design like Riddler's Revenge having enough height, speed, intensity, and substance on the track design alone, but typically the stand-up technique itself adds so much intensity that designers have to tone down the design itself. That's really why I never thought it made sense to ride floorless on a coaster that was designed to be stand-up. I'd just scrap it and get a modern coaster with a modern design.

Re: "Unnecessary Floorless Conversion", Iron Wolf -> Apocalypse -> Firebird is 980 feet longer than Vortex -> Patriot was. I think they have enough to work with for a worthwhile ride.

Funny, I was thinking about this on my drive to work. Obviously B&M does what they want, and doesn't really do anything revolutionary by the park's requests very often, but in the case of SFA, I was thinking it would make sense to make custom trains:

Make them two across, and eight long, but make them with lapbars -- even if there had to be a floor. I think that having a coaster like that with lapbars and panoramic views would justify the conversion. And the ride barely gets much ridership anyway, so being four across is pretty unnecessary. It will still probably be a walk-on two across. But as I was saying, this would have to be B&M spearheading it. They don't generally make custom trains at the park's requests, and they're obviously still not ready to cross the inversions with lapbars threshold... even though there's absolutely zero reason to have OTSR's on a coaster like Iron Wolf if you aren't standing up.

Well upcharge attraction (speculation now) going away.

What do you think replaces it?

Would make a good location for something that is really visually pleasing to watch... my money would be on a Zamperla Giant Discovery, but an ABC Tourbillon could be possible as well.

I love this mentality of "now Six Flags America will have a big empty field in Gotham City with nothing in it so that must mean they'll put something there".

Um... have you seen the rest of Gotham City?

Yup, look how long it took for them to replace the Avalanche. Wonder Woman came 6 years later to occupy the location.

All kinds of good news. Macho Nacho coming. Johnny Rockets on the Dining plan. New bathroom in Gotham; it got the loudest applause during the ACE event..lol..

1. Where's Macho Nacho supposed to be located?

2. About time

Can't tell from there, but I hope they removed the old skull (and the other bits of Typhoon Sea Coaster/Skull Mountain that remain). I don't know if there's a technical reason why it can't happen, but I'd love for Wild One to be fully open as it was before Typhoon Sea Coaster was built. It's just an eyesore to have old parts of the track still exist. If I were to guess, it's probably possible (technically), but it's probably just not worth the effort (financially) for them to do it.

I didn’t expect any theming from Firebird, but hopefully the fire effect actually works. I predict that lines for this will be similar to the Gotham city coasters. Most people didn’t like the standing aspect of apocalypse, so I think more people will ride this.