TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Sì, andare a Kings Dominion, ma solo per Intimidator, poi uscire e andare a SFA [/ quote]

Prendere atto della firma, come avete letto.

the inconvenient truth hurts, but you have to accept it. Kings Dominion is a mediocre park, most mediocre of sfa

As long as SFA doesn't take up KD's ban on hats on rides (which is going to hurt tonight), it will be the best time to ride Apocolypse and Mind Eraser, all bundled up. It's great to see that all coasters within the open part of the park will be open, if they were following the BGW model they wouldn't.

I might actually try to make it down for this event! I still need Ragin Cagun credit so it would be worth the trip. I know people "hate" on this park but I've never had an issue while there. I think I usually spend more time at the waterpark, which is great in my opinion. I know the customers aren't always that great but that's not the parks fault. Plus I always love to watch a hot mess/crazy person, its a good time!

I was considering maybe trying to head down for SFAs HITP, now that it's confirmed Gotham won't be open I probably won't. I just can't imagine travelling all that way and not being able to ride two of the best coasters in the park. If it's as half as well done as Great Adventure, I'm sure the event will be awesome, but when the headliners for the show are Apocalypse and Mind Eraser, color me uninterested. Awesome they'll have Wild One open, curious to see how it's gonna run in the cold.

Sì, andare a Kings Dominion, ma solo per Intimidator, poi uscire e andare a SFA [/ quote]

the inconvenient truth hurts, but you have to accept it. Kings Dominion is a mediocre park, most mediocre of sfa

An opinion is not "truth", it's an opinion. You're entitled to it but almost everyone would disagree with you and say that KD is infinitely better in every possible way, even excluding I305.

If I were to rank, let's say the Top 10 rides between both parks it would probably look something like this.

1) Intimidator 305

2) Shenandoah Lumber Company (No, I will not yield)

3) Volcano

4) Superman

5) Dominator

6) Flight of Fear

7) Drop Tower (KD)

8) Backlot Stunt Coaster

9) Wild One

10) Batwing

So for me, Kings Dominion is straight up dominating that list, and on top of that it has much better atmosphere and there cool things that stick out of the ground and have these weird green things called "leaves" on them that I'm told convert carbon to oxygen. I know you won't believe me because it's hard to imagine such a thing existing at Six Flags America but they're EVERYWHERE at KD. It's craziness. They also run more than one train on all of their coasters which is kind of nice.

You're entitled to your opinion but not many people will agree with you. That's totally okay, it doesn't make you wrong (I liked Mean Streak so I get it). But your opinion is nothing more than an opinion.

Anyway, as far as Holiday in the Park I won't go out of my way for it since Great Adventure is closer and they have Nitro, Batman, Superman and the amazingness that is Pointsettia Peak, but there's a good chance we'll stop by if we're in the area and we probably will be. The plan is to go visit Brit's family for Christmas in North Carolina so on the way home we'll try to take 95 and swing by for a ride on Wild One and Rajin Cajun and to check out the lights.

The headliners are Roar and Wild One! Still, the headbangers should profit from the extra padding of winter.

As to if KD or SFA is good, it's all to whether you see the glass half-empty or half-full. SFA is a good park by the standards of much of the country or a state fair etc. There are much better of course but they're also more popular and crowded. Still, no one else has Wild One but SFA, no one else has I305 but KD etc. etc. etc. ... SFA and KD both show some good examples of weaknesses of theme parks, I mean they don't build multi million dollar rides with the expectation of putting in new in 5 years, they run them 'til they look old and grey.

The headliners are Roar and Wild One!

I might re-ride Roar. The first time I rode it I thought it kind of blew but I'm told they did a lot of re-tracking, plus it was bad but not unbearable.

After riding it labor day weekend it is definitely re-ridable.

During my first ever visit to the park in 09 I was kinda like "meh", but I really enjoyed it in September.

The headliners are Roar and Wild One!

I might re-ride Roar. The first time I rode it I thought it kind of blew but I'm told they did a lot of re-tracking, plus it was bad but not unbearable.

After riding it labor day weekend it is definitely re-ridable.

During my first ever visit to the park in 09 I was kinda like "meh", but I really enjoyed it in September.

Hopefully SF will RMC Roar soon, maybe 2018.

An opinion is not "truth", it's an opinion. You're entitled to it but almost everyone would disagree with you and say that KD is infinitely better in every possible way, even excluding I305.

If I were to rank, let's say the Top 10 rides between both parks it would probably look something like this.

1) Intimidator 305

2) Shenandoah Lumber Company (No, I will not yield)

3) Volcano

4) Superman

5) Dominator

6) Flight of Fear

7) Drop Tower (KD)

8) Backlot Stunt Coaster

9) Wild One

10) Batwing

So for me, Kings Dominion is straight up dominating that list, and on top of that it has much better atmosphere and there cool things that stick out of the ground and have these weird green things called "leaves" on them that I'm told convert carbon to oxygen. I know you won't believe me because it's hard to imagine such a thing existing at Six Flags America but they're EVERYWHERE at KD. It's craziness. They also run more than one train on all of their coasters which is kind of nice.

You're entitled to your opinion but not many people will agree with you. That's totally okay, it doesn't make you wrong (I liked Mean Streak so I get it). But your opinion is nothing more than an opinion.

Anyway, as far as Holiday in the Park I won't go out of my way for it since Great Adventure is closer and they have Nitro, Batman, Superman and the amazingness that is Pointsettia Peak, but there's a good chance we'll stop by if we're in the area and we probably will be. The plan is to go visit Brit's family for Christmas in North Carolina so on the way home we'll try to take 95 and swing by for a ride on Wild One and Rajin Cajun and to check out the lights.

Hmm,..other than #2, I agree with this list. Flight of Fear may have the edge since its inside, but JJ has no MCBR (maybe a change recently. Didn't ride it this year). Roar is a lot better this year; feels kinda brand new. I go to both quite a bit; KDs rides break a lot more. I'm really interested to see how Wild One rides in the cold. Trees? Who needs stinking trees, when you can go to Hurricanes and have a cold one?

Edited by Highridin

The level of investment that once went into this park still completely baffles me. I'm not sure if Premier Parks was loaded when they acquired SF, but 6 new and non re-located roller coasters in a 4 year period from '98-'01 seems insane to me. Has any other park in the US even seen a coaster investment on that kind of scale before? They must of saw some huge potential for Adventure World to be marketed into a gigantic park, and with the closest major amusement parks being KD and HP I could understand how, if that were the case. Does anyone here know what halted this park from further growth? Was it SF's bankruptcy or did this park ultimately not perform to the level they expected it to by being re-branded as a SF park? I haven't been to the park in years, but the 6-7 year old me remembers it being pretty busy and popular when my parents would take me during the first couple of seasons after it re-opened as SFA.

I know this park is regarded as one of the worst in the chain but it definitely has an interesting history IMO.