TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

p. 337 - New Six Flags Hallowfest information!

So far, VR on superman is getting mixed reviews, mostly negative due to long wait times and it not functioning correctly. Looking at comments on Twitter and sfa's Instagram page are showing that the gp are fed and want a new roller coaster and better customer service. This video is not helping much either https://twitter.com/_godofshade/status/741656794209132544

The video's probably biased, since who knows if the random guy tried to attack the worker? And also, look at her profile...a slut who really likes coffins...

Exactly. I saw that pic and was like, umm..lol.. can't take it seriously. Also, the VR is getting 'way more' positive reviews. Wait being the only real gripe. I heard a couple of people saying the battery ran out. I'm sure a process will be put in place to better monitor the phones as time goes on.

Hello everyone, just to introduce myself my name is mcuster08 and I'm from MD. Lived in MD my whole life. I've considered all the mid-atlantic parks to be my home parks (SFA, SFGAD, KD, BGW, HP) as they are all within a 3 hour drive of where I live. But SFA is by far the closest. I've been going there since I got into roller coasters in 2000 (I'm 26 now). So SFA, despite the bad rap that it usually gets, holds a lot of nostalgia for me. My friend, who isn't an enthusiast but lets me drag him to parks, and I decided to take a trip to SFA because I had a BAFF that was expiring (probably why crowds were so large). No huge rush, as we had done everything except to new Superman VR before, so it was mostly just having fun.

I mentioned earlier, we got to the park around 1:30 and it was SUPER crowded, we parked halfway down the 3rd parking lot. My friend called it Narnia. So we walked from Narnia to the front gate, took us about 10 minutes to get in once we got in line. We went straight to Superman. Line was in the first 2 rows of switchbacks and out the entrance, but we weren't in any rush, so we got in line. Stood in line for about 20 min and only 2 trains were sent. We still wanted to have fun, so we decided to bail. That line was probably upwards of 3 hours at the rate it was going, which wasn't worth it to us.

We went to Batwing, waited maybe 5 min for a middle row. It's one of the only roller coasters (along with Skyrush) that legitimately scares me. That feeling when you flip over and all you see is ground is one of the scariest moments on a roller coaster for me. A little more rattly than last year, but still a good ride.

Then we wanted to ride Joker's Jinx, but it had broken down, so we went to Wild One instead. A lot of people on here agree, it may be one of the oldest coasters in the world, but it STILL packs a punch. We waited 5 min for the front row. Airtime is definitely more intense in the front. Such an underrated ride. Just the right amount of rattle for an older woodie. Probably my 3rd favorite woodie behind El Toro and Lightning Racer. I just hope they paint it for its 100th next year...it looks super sad.

From there, took a relaxing ride on the flyers. Always good. From there, did Apocalypse. Waited 10 min for the front seat. I actually like this ride. I don't find it all that rough or uncomfortable, but I am shorter and skinnier (5'7" 140 lbs) so I might fit better than most enthusiasts . Love the theming and music. I'd put it in the upper tier of rides at SFA. If they build more rides with the same care they took with Apocalypse, SFA would become even more competitive in this already competitive market.

From there we went to the waterpark. Absolute mob scene. The slides didn't have too much of a wait though. Waited 20 min for Tornado, 10 for Bahama Blast and 10 for Bonzai Pipelines. There were just WAY too many people on the midway, you had to jostle through the crowds to get anywhere. Although it was a perfect day for a waterpark as it was upwards of 90+ degrees F. Good little waterpark, but should probably get another expansion soon, or maybe a second entrance somewhere to alleviate the crowds. I don't know where they would put it? Coyote Creek maybe?

Now it was getting time to leave, so we went back to Superman to see if the line had shortened, and, it was even longer. The entire queue was almost full...I don't even wanna know what kind of wait time that was. As good of a ride it is, it's not worth longer than an hour wait.

Instead, we saw the Joker was launching so we did that . Waited about 15 min. The girl on the mic was super annoying. I've ridden it with operators that are hilarious, but this girl just needed to shut up and launch the trains. It was super intense at the end, moreso than last year. Pleasant surprise.

Skipped Ragin Cajun because of the line. Roar was closed for the day and Mind Eraser is pure garbage so we skipped those. Headed out to Ruby Tuesday and ate dinner on the way out. Overall, a pretty good day just coastering with no real agenda. Will have to go back early in the morning for Superman. I hope they get the kinks with the VR figured out.

Overall, I know SFA gets a bad rap for being run-down and having bad operations. And it does, but it's not as bad as it was years ago. The layout may be idiotic and there's no shade, but it's getting better every year. And though each of the rides may not be stellar, they are all just ok, except for Mind Eraser. Bulldoze that thing and get a B&M. It is totally possible to have fun at this park and though it's not worth making a special trip for, if you're in DC, it's worth a few hours of your day.

I'll be making my first visit to the park on Monday, and I can't wait to ride the wooden coasters, especially Wild One. I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I want to be at Hersheypark by 7:30 Monday night. The distance between the 2 parks is 126 miles. At about what time should I leave SFA?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for a first-time visitor?

If anyone would like to meet up for some rides, please let me know. Thanks.

^I haven't visited SFA yet, but if you leave after 3:30 PM, count on it taking you one and a half to two hours to get from the park through Baltimore. From Baltimore, I believe Hershey is between 60 and 90 minutes, but you may hit traffic from the Pennsylvania commuters on I-83. I commute the opposite direction each day (from DC to Baltimore in the morning, Baltimore to DC in the evening) and the people commuting from Baltimore have it much worse than I do. I would seriously try to leave Six Flags before 4:00 PM. I would also recommend downloading Waze (a smartphone app) if you don't already have it, as it does better than Google Maps with giving you the fastest routes.

Edited by The Yeti

I want to be at Hersheypark by 7:30 Monday night. The distance between the 2 parks is 126 miles. At about what time should I leave SFA?

That's a tough one. The drive should be a little less than two and a half hours without traffic, but you're leaving DC during rush hour - and it's going to be the first rush hour where the Metro on that side of town is completely closed. If I were you, I would leave at 4pm to be safe - that should get you ahead of at least the Beltway traffic, and hopefully some of the 95 traffic as well.

Side note on your drive - 95 gets congestion as you approach MD 200 (the exit with all the toll signs as you come up to it). Stick to the right when you see signs for 200 and 198 - the two lanes that branch off actually dump back into 95 and will jump you past about two miles of traffic!

^^-- I wouldn't be surprised if I could leave at 7:30 and make that in 2 hours, but to get there at 7:30 might be best to leave before 2:00 to save your sanity. Maybe stop to eat after getting through the worst of it. Would also avoid some afternoon heat.

Stay at least long enough to decide whose advice to take on this park, someone who doesn't like it or someone who rides every coaster (although Batwing is in question, very disorienting). Do skip Penguin's River (spinning) and Fireball if you have any tendency to get sick. Ragin Cajun has the exact right amount of spinning, decent if not too slow to get on.

Ragin Cajun has the exact right amount of spinning, decent if not too slow to get on.

Ragin' Cajun was almost my favorite ride in the park when I rode it at Six Flags Great America, so I'm guessing there's a decent chance that it WOULD be my favorite ride at SFA if I went there!

Stay at least long enough to decide whose advice to take on this park, someone who doesn't like it or someone who rides every coaster (although Batwing is in question, very disorienting). Do skip Penguin's River (spinning) and Fireball if you have any tendency to get sick. Ragin Cajun has the exact right amount of spinning, decent if not too slow to get on.

+1

but why ? one will be free to go to a park and try to enjoy it as he sees fit?

Because the Baltmore Inner Harbor rules and Six Flags America sucks.

Lol,..not really. I go to both quite a bit. I'll go to SFA any day over the harbor. I do agree with the crabs and beer thumbs up though.

I'll be making my first visit to the park on Monday, and I can't wait to ride the wooden coasters, especially Wild One. I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for a first-time visitor?

If anyone would like to meet up for some rides, please let me know. Thanks.

If you aren't doing the water parks, this would be easy on a Monday. Get there when it opens, ride everything twice (not Apocalypse), get the shows under your belt (you will miss block party which is too bad: it only goes at 6pm), and eat. You will be hurting getting to PA anytime after 3-330. The Metro crap has jacked up the roads worst than they already were.

If u are doing the water park, you will really be pushing it.

Lol,..not really. I go to both quite a bit. I'll go to SFA any day over the harbor. I do agree with the crabs and beer thumbs up though.

Yeah, but you're spoiled. If you're just visiting then eating Maryland crab is a big deal. Nothing compares to the way they do it in Maryland / Baltimore. I stand by my crabs (could be in the form of a crab cake) and beer suggestion.

Oh and to the original poster... remember to put Old Bay on everything. It's a Maryland tradition. And try a Natty Boh. It sucks but we love it anyway.

Oh and to the original poster... remember to put Old Bay on everything. It's a Maryland tradition.

Born and raised in Maryland, can confirm. Sometimes we even put old bay on our old bay (On a side note, old bay dry rub wings are the best)

Oh and to the original poster... remember to put Old Bay on everything. It's a Maryland tradition.

Born and raised in Maryland, can confirm. Sometimes we even put old bay on our old bay (On a side note, old bay dry rub wings are the best)

Old Bay seasoning on burgers is where it's at!

Lol.,,,yup

Yeah, but you're spoiled. If you're just visiting then eating Maryland crab is a big deal. Nothing compares to the way they do it in Maryland / Baltimore. I stand by my crabs (could be in the form of a crab cake) and beer suggestion.

Oh and to the original poster... remember to put Old Bay on everything. It's a Maryland tradition. And try a Natty Boh. It sucks but we love it anyway.

Yup, I'll give you that. Very spoiled. There is this crab place called "My Place" that just opened by my house. Gets fresh crab everyday. Hmm, it's great.