TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

It is just unreal to me that Cedar Fair can plan, build, and open mammoth coasters by the end of March/first of April and Six Flags can't even open a relocated mouse ride by Memorial Day weekend (not trying to bring up a CF vs. SF debate).

Anyways, I'll be heading to the park sometime this summer if they ever get the thing open.

It is just unreal to me that Cedar Fair can plan, build, and open mammoth coasters by the end of March/first of April and Six Flags can't even open a relocated mouse ride by Memorial Day weekend (not trying to bring up a CF vs. SF debate).

Anyways, I'll be heading to the park sometime this summer if they ever get the thing open.

six flags never gets anything opened ontime

I wasn't originally going to post this, but I'm going to after hearing about the supposed fire at FoF at KI.

So, anyone who's ridden Joker's Jinx knows that sometimes the ops will try to scare you right before the launch by counting down and launching you early, etc. On my second ride of the day just over a a week ago, the attendant near the op (at the far end of the station) started screaming to the op during the countdown, "Wait! Don't launch it! Check car 4! Stop!"

The op didn't hear her in time, and launched us while the attendant was still yelling over sound of the launch.

I know, this sounds like it may have been on purpose to scare the riders, but I know it was not. The attendant was very sincere and started running over to the op to be heard, and also, attendants wouldn't do that for two reasons: 1) the riders may be too nervous and very angry after the ride, after the NTaG incident, they shouldn't do that, and 2) the op has no way to know if they are kidding, unless they planned it, which they would not be doing while operating a launched roller coaster.

What do you guys think of this? Were any riders in danger, or was this nothing to worry about? I was holding on a bit tighter that ride, I will admit.

I wasn't originally going to post this, but I'm going to after hearing about the supposed fire at FoF at KI.

So, anyone who's ridden Joker's Jinx knows that sometimes the ops will try to scare you right before the launch by counting down and launching you early, etc. On my second ride of the day just over a a week ago, the attendant near the op (at the far end of the station) started screaming to the op during the countdown, "Wait! Don't launch it! Check car 4! Stop!"

The op didn't hear her in time, and launched us while the attendant was still yelling over sound of the launch.

I know, this sounds like it may have been on purpose to scare the riders, but I know it was not. The attendant was very sincere and started running over to the op to be heard, and also, attendants wouldn't do that for two reasons: 1) the riders may be too nervous and very angry after the ride, after the NTaG incident, they shouldn't do that, and 2) the op has no way to know if they are kidding, unless they planned it, which they would not be doing while operating a launched roller coaster.

What do you guys think of this? Were any riders in danger, or was this nothing to worry about? I was holding on a bit tighter that ride, I will admit.

So at Six Flags parks the ops do their pre-ride check to make sure that everything is in order, in which all of the operators need to give the all clear. Was this not performed? At Six Flags parks the dispatch operator asks to 'take five,' verifies that all of the operators are in agreement, then they give the go-ahead for the launch command. It seems that they either did this and something happened after the all-clear or they never performed their check.

That Jokers Jinx story is really scary. There may have been a slight problem, but probably nothing too serious otherwise she would have ran to the op before the launch. So don't worry . And Superman is an okay hyper. Definitely worth the ride if you are at the park. I also agree with others that Wild One is the best gem in the park. That's my favorite coaster in the entire park. I personally prefer Jinx over FOF. FOF is amazing with the theming, but the mid course break run kills the ride honestly. It is also fun to see the headchoppers on Jokers Jinx. I've only been to the park once this season to get my pass during the spring break week, so I haven't seen the latest progress on Ragin Cajun. The French Quarter Flyer things are really nice though same with the new Falling Star theming.

Another thing I want to mention about Joker's Jinx- many of you have said that despite the slower launch, the lack of MCBR makes up for it and is better than the FoF coasters. At the same visit I described earlier with the *potential* unchecked restraint, the further in the day we got, the slower the ride went. I rode a few times before noon and once around 4. However, looking at the ride, especially on Superman's lift, I am saying this with complete sincerity, the train nearly valley end in the section that hops over the rings from the non-MCBR multiple times. I got up close to it, and it slowed to well below 5 mph a few times. I know that JJ appears much slower than it is from off the ride, but I have seen the ride run the course many times in the past and that day. I am not exaggerating when I say I thought an evacuation was going to occur at some point because it nearly valleyed.

I understand not using all the LIM's to save power, but this was ridiculously slow.

Also, it was a warm day (80 degrees) with very little to no breeze.

Another thing I want to mention about Joker's Jinx- many of you have said that despite the slower launch, the lack of MCBR makes up for it and is better than the FoF coasters. At the same visit I described earlier with the *potential* unchecked restraint, the further in the day we got, the slower the ride went. I rode a few times before noon and once around 4. However, looking at the ride, especially on Superman's lift, I am saying this with complete sincerity, the train nearly valley end in the section that hops over the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings from the non-MCBR multiple times. I got up close to it, and it slowed to well below 5 mph a few times. I know that JJ appears much slower than it is from off the ride, but I have seen the ride run the course many times in the past and that day. I am not exaggerating when I say I thought an evacuation was going to occur at some point because it nearly valleyed.

I understand not using all the LIM's to save power, but this was ridiculously slow.

Also, it was a warm day (80 degrees) with very little to no breeze.

Jokers Jinx usually always gets slow at that part of the ride, then gets fast again when it starts going through the overbanked turns. I never knew why it does that. And haha, yeah it does look slow from the off ride view.

Has anyone heard anything about RC's opening day/media day (if there is one)/passholder preview? I'll be heading to the park this Saturday, and I've nearly given up on this thing opening anytime this year. Is it testing yet? I can't imagine more than a few days would be required to test this thing to regulations. It's a 10 year old spinning mouse. It might open after Goliath at SFGam, at this rate.

ACE has an ERT on Ragin' Cajun the morning of June 28th (before the park opens to the GP) and that was already pushed back once. The ACE ERT was intended to be a preview of the ride before it officially opened to the GP, so, given that it is already late in opening, I'd expect a public opening to possibly be later that day. There is the possibility that there could be a season passholder preview the week before, but I wouldn't expect it to open much before then. As of last weekend, there was still no queue/station platform/landscaping/entrance sign/testing.

ACE has an ERT on Ragin' Cajun the morning of June 28th (before the park opens to the GP) and that was already pushed back once. The ACE ERT was intended to be a preview of the ride before it officially opened to the GP, so, given that it is already late in opening, I'd expect a public opening to possibly be later that day. There is the possibility that there could be a season passholder preview the week before, but I wouldn't expect it to open much before then. As of last weekend, there was still no queue/station platform/landscaping/entrance sign/testing.

Thanks for the answer.

You know, I'm usually pretty patient and understanding when it comes to delayed openings, especially massive coasters or prototypes, etc. but this is nearly the exact opposite. A glorified kiddie coaster. Six Flags has been doing pretty well lately in my book, but this is PATHETIC. An opening near July. For a WILD MOUSE. And people were unhappy with late May openings. End rant.

By "Worth it", I just meant whether it was good. I would ride it anyways. What is the airtime like? Better or worse than MF's floater hills?

First airtime hill is sluggish in the morning and average when it's warmed up. Second airtime hill is taken much faster, and when it's warmed up can approach mild ejector airtime. Bunny hills are fun, good floater air. I actually got about four rides today, it was pretty warm out, and one time I actually greyed out a bit in the first helix.

Overall, it's a good ride. Probably the best ride in the park, but not really anything to write home about. Front row is definitely a wait a wait of a few more cycles. Back rows are fun as well with slightly stronger airtime. Today I noticed a slight rattle in the blue train, so watch out for that.

Stopped by today, and I really don't think it'll be ready for a bit, unless it magically gets a station. I'll post pics after I get home from C4K.

Also saw another TPR member today too! I hope they had fun!

By "Worth it", I just meant whether it was good. I would ride it anyways. What is the airtime like? Better or worse than MF's floater hills?

First airtime hill is sluggish in the morning and average when it's warmed up. Second airtime hill is taken much faster, and when it's warmed up can approach mild ejector airtime. Bunny hills are fun, good floater air. I actually got about four rides today, it was pretty warm out, and one time I actually greyed out a bit in the first helix.

Overall, it's a good ride. Probably the best ride in the park, but not really anything to write home about. Front row is definitely a wait a wait of a few more cycles. Back rows are fun as well with slightly stronger airtime. Today I noticed a slight rattle in the blue train, so watch out for that.

Ah, the helixes on that ride are weird. I've been to Washington, D.C. about 4 or so times. Maybe sometime I'll get to SFA.