TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I've probably seen it once every summer, on some random day when it's no more necessary than any other day. I do vaguely remember the first time I went to SFA, back in '03 I think when I was too short for most rides - Batwing was running two trains on one side that day, because I know that my family was laying on the brake run for a long time in the sun waiting for the next train to dispatch! But aside from that, I've never seen it done.

I've probably seen it once every summer, on some random day when it's no more necessary than any other day. I do vaguely remember the first time I went to SFA, back in '03 I think when I was too short for most rides - Batwing was running two trains on one side that day, because I know that my family was laying on the brake run for a long time in the sun waiting for the next train to dispatch! But aside from that, I've never seen it done.

Its funny because without 3 trains, I have never seen a real purpose for duel loading platforms. Isn't one point to have 2 trains loading, one side will leave (lets call it side A), that 3rd can pull into side A, begin unloading/loading, the train on the other side dispatches (side B), the train that pulled out of side A originally can come in and park where side B's train just left from. So, both sides pretty much have a train loading or unloading at all times. having 1 train on each side just makes the wait on each platform looooonggg. SFA has trains 1 and 3 still operating. I assume train 2 was cannibalized?

This goes for all parks with duel stations too... Firehawk (KI), Batwing's twin, only has 2 trains with duel stations too. I assume 1 of the 3 Firehawk trains was cannibalized too? Superman: UF at SFoG has duel loading as well. Haven't had the pleasure to see both sides of the station in action though. Do they still have 3 trains or has the same thing occurred? Even Sea World Orlando with Manta. 2 trains running with duel stations operating. Line was unbearably sluggish once you got assigned your side of the station. I have only ridden Manta once, so I don't know if this is the norm for them though to be fair. I know they have all 3 of their trains though. To sum this up, I have NEVER seen a ride that uses duel stations the way I assume they were meant to be used. Why do parks do this? Probably money, but it just makes little sense to me why you would spend the money to create a duel station in the first place if you aren't going to even use it properly.

I totally agree coasterfreak101..They should pretty much always use one side with 2 trains, like Nighthawk, as long as they are working efficiently, as I saw friday night. But I'm sure they want to use both sides when they can to get their guests out of the uncomfortable flying/laying position as soon as possible, just in case a crew is being slow, or a guest has an "issue."

That might've been the goal originally for Batwing, much like how the seats were to recline at the top of the lift. I'm not sure, though - dual stations typically still only have one train per side, i.e. Storm Runner, Tatsu, Manta, etc. Or, in the case of Kingda Ka, one train for each of the four platforms, two on each side. The only time I've seen an alternation is with TTD, where they tend to run five trains and two load while one unloads, one brakes, and one gets ready to launch - but that's a single station. And, might I add, the most efficient station I think I've ever been in.

^Hmm good point. I think I was just thinking about the lengthy loading process when it comes to all fliers so I came to that conclusion. But I would believe that MAY have been the purpose for duel stations on fliers. Other coasters, like Storm Runner, seem to fare better with one train on each side, because of them having a traditional sit down and ride type loading procedure.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a small idea for Skull Mountain/Typhoon Sea Coaster. Every time I look at that ride, I get the feeling that it could easily be turned into a decent indoor attraction. Where it becomes a small indoor coaster, special effects pirate show or an all year haunted house; it could be used for something. I believe it's had it's days as an out water ride. The only real theme you get from it, is where you are inside a few of the tunnels and looking at it from a distance to observe to skull face. Other than that, there is nothing unique about it. Let's also keep in mind that, Skull Mountain and the swinging pirate ship across from it are the only two pirate attractions for that area. Roar is a bit of a stand alone theme and should be tied in more with Coyote Creek. Then down from that you have Ship Wreck Falls.

Here is a small idea I had in mind. Make Shipwreck Falls and Roar apart of the Coyote Creek theme. Retire Skull Mountain as a water ride and make it a full indoor attractions for something DC Comic related. That way it could be tied into Gotham City. Think of something Joker related.

In the link I am posting, scroll down to the 5th picture of the coaster kart inside of warehouse. Think of something like that inside a transformed indoor Skull Mountain with nice theme.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/what-we-already-know-about-batman-arkham-asylum-2/a-20091215121615570047/p-2

Regardless of whether or not they transform it into some mega coaster/dark-ride, something does need to be done with that ride. It had more down time this year than any ride in the park, and it's closure was almost a daily occurance.

Exactly.

I'm not saying that it has to be a huge dark ride, but it could be used for something along the lines of an indoor attraction. The reason why I said tie it in with Gotham City is because Thomas Town will soon be chancing it's theme. An idea I had for Thomas Town would be to change it into a Gotham theme, with stores, games and maybe some flats. If they turned Skull Mountain into an indoor DC Comic themed ride, the exit would lead guests right out the back of the building and into the Thomas Land/Gotham City themed area. I don't want to go off into a tangent about ride ideas, because I'm trying to keep it about theme and improvements for SFA.

As for the Thomas Land area, they should consider buying some new flats. I have the perfect idea for swinging ride. Take a look at this ride. We could pick it up for dirt cheap. Even though it doesn't seat that many people, it swings you high enough and looks appealing in the night air. It would fit well in the Thomas Land area. Watch the video.

I had a small idea for Skull Mountain/Typhoon Sea Coaster. Every time I look at that ride, I get the feeling that it could easily be turned into a decent indoor attraction. Where it becomes a small indoor coaster, special effects pirate show or an all year haunted house; it could be used for something. I believe it's had it's days as an out water ride. The only real theme you get from it, is where you are inside a few of the tunnels and looking at it from a distance to observe to skull face. Other than that, there is nothing unique about it. Let's also keep in mind that, Skull Mountain and the swinging pirate ship across from it are the only two pirate attractions for that area. Roar is a bit of a stand alone theme and should be tied in more with Coyote Creek. Then down from that you have Ship Wreck Falls.

Here is a small idea I had in mind. Make Shipwreck Falls and Roar apart of the Coyote Creek theme. Retire Skull Mountain as a water ride and make it a full indoor attractions for something DC Comic related. That way it could be tied into Gotham City. Think of something Joker related.

In the link I am posting, scroll down to the 5th picture of the coaster kart inside of warehouse. Think of something like that inside a transformed indoor Skull Mountain with nice theme.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/what-we-already-know-about-batman-arkham-asylum-2/a-20091215121615570047/p-2

I agree with you totally here. Skull Mountain needs something to be done to it. It had/has so much potential. If anything give the tunnels some themeing, all they are is just dark tunnels. How boring is that?

• 2 weeks later...

What year do you think, Six Flags America will start seeing a lot of corporate attention? We saw sparks of attention, on and off with Shapiro. Then finally he starts showing major interest by adding the biggest Thomas Land in the chain. How long will we have to wait before the new regime gives us attention? If we do get attention, what will we receive? Will he do the same thing Shapiro did and add to our water park?

Will we began to see attention immediately?

What year do you think, Six Flags America will start seeing a lot of corporate attention? We saw sparks of attention, on and off with Shapiro. Then finally he starts showing major interest by adding the biggest Thomas Land in the chain. How long will we have to wait before the new regime gives us attention? If we do get attention, what will we receive? Will he do the same thing Shapiro did and add to our water park?

Will we began to see attention immediately?

broken-record-765056.jpg.91a996279395c293e1c43e0bc47d2e8e.jpg

Just saying!

I suppose your implying that I sound like a broke record. But to tell you the truth, that was a legit question. Maybe you didn't know that Shapiro and Dan Snyder are gone and that the company has a new regime. So it sparks question as to what will come for most of the parks. So once again, it's up for debate as to what will come for SFA. Will we wait three years before seeing anything, will we be sold, or will the new regime add some rides to our park.

I suppose your implying that I sound like a broke record.

Lord, he even drew you a picture.

But to tell you the truth, that was a legit question. Maybe you didn't know that Shapiro and Dan Snyder are gone and that the company has a new regime. So it sparks question as to what will come for most of the parks. So once again, it's up for debate as to what will come for SFA. Will we wait three years before seeing anything, will we be sold, or will the new regime add some rides to our park.

A "legit question" that you've asked countless times. Perhaps you should take a breather and let events unfold. I doubt that we'll hear much news before the first of the year, anyway.

I suppose your implying that I sound like a broke record. But to tell you the truth, that was a legit question. Maybe you didn't know that Shapiro and Dan Snyder are gone and that the company has a new regime. So it sparks question as to what will come for most of the parks. So once again, it's up for debate as to what will come for SFA. Will we wait three years before seeing anything, will we be sold, or will the new regime add some rides to our park.

That is correct, you sound like a broken record. Let me refresh your memory.

Lets talk about some of the future things that we may see Alexander Weber do in the future with Six Flags Inc.

How about lets not do that.

This thread has had a lack of any real substance for a long time now. If there is ACTUALLY something going on at the park, I encourage you all to post about it.

If someone here wants to take the time to go do a photo lap of the park so we can see small detailed changes, I encourage that.

What I *DO NOT* encourage, is pointless discussion about "What If's" that could happen at the park.

You're just wasting our bandwidth.

I'm going to tell this thread right now - post about things that are happening at the park for REAL, not in someone's make believe mind, or you may see your posts gets deleted.

Thank you for your understanding.

--Robb

Edited by larrygator

The writing has been on the wall for about a decade now & spells out the fact that regardless of who is put in charge as the CEO of SFI SFA will ALWAYS get the crap end of the stick while SFMM & SFGRADV continue to get the bulk of the yearly cap ex improvements.I'm fairly certain that this park will more than likely be gone within the next ten to fifteen years tops having suffered the same fate as GL & SFAW.

The writing has been on the wall for about a decade now & spells out the fact that regardless of who is put in charge as the CEO of SFI SFA will ALWAYS get the crap end of the stick while SFMM & SFGRADV continue to get the bulk of the yearly cap ex improvements.I'm fairly certain that this park will more than likely be gone within the next ten to fifteen years tops having suffered the same fate as GL & SFAW.

Just stop it. Please

This has always been my pet peeve about the parks in general, parking is WAY TOO MUCH!!! It has been about 3 years since I have been to SFA, but I still like it. It has some rides that are definitely worth visiting for and from my memory a very decent water park. All this complaining by people about the park, does anyone remember Wild World and how barren it was? It could still be that way you know. It has developed into a pretty nice park if you ask me.

This has always been my pet peeve about the parks in general, parking is WAY TOO MUCH!!! It has been about 3 years since I have been to SFA, but I still like it. It has some rides that are definitely worth visiting for and from my memory a very decent water park. All this complaining by people about the park, does anyone remember Wild World and how barren it was? It could still be that way you know. It has developed into a pretty nice park if you ask me.

I agree with you for people that do not visit often. It got OLD getting on the same major rides year after year for almost 10 years! Plus the customer service and line jumping at the park are TERRIBLE.

I agree with you for people that do not visit often. It got OLD getting on the same major rides year after year for almost 10 years! Plus the customer service and line jumping at the park are TERRIBLE.

Technically this is considered my home park as I reside in MD. For some reason I seem to visit Hershy and KD more often and back in the early 90's I did KD 3 times in one summer. It too got "old" so I can imagine for the SFA regulars who go all the time, they do feel a need for something big and new. I try now to limit my visits to the same park to every 2 or 3 years for that simple reason. Kennywood is only 90 miles from my house and I still don't go there every year. Breaking up the monotony helps to alleviate the boredom with the same old tiresome rides.

They were really good with line jumping the times I visited this year. Even having local police lead the offenders (who became rowdy and aggressive) from the park in handcuffs.

In another note, I got an e-mail asking me to rate Fright Fest. I gave it pretty low ratings. I mean there were a few decent scares, but when you only have two mazes, one of them shouldn't be upcharged . I hope there are some improvements next year for Fright Fest. I don't expect the park to upgrade to a HAUNT or Howl-O-Scream type event within a year but for starters:

-NO UPCHARGHE MAZES!!!111oneoneone!!!

-More mazes. Maybe just one more? Please? A lot of the buildings in Southwest Territory have potential.

-More Scare Actors on the path. I saw three roaming the entire park.

That'd be my start. Hell, cross off the last two, JUST NO MORE UPCHARGED MAZES!

They were really good with line jumping the times I visited this year. Even having local police lead the offenders (who became rowdy and aggressive) from the park in handcuffs.

In another note, I got an e-mail asking me to rate Fright Fest. I gave it pretty low ratings. I mean there were a few decent scares, but when you only have two mazes, one of them shouldn't be upcharged . I hope there are some improvements next year for Fright Fest. I don't expect the park to upgrade to a HAUNT or Howl-O-Scream type event within a year but for starters:

-More mazes. Maybe just one more? Please? A lot of the buildings in Southwest Territory have potential.

Good post. I agree on the no upcharge for mazes. I think they should be free with park admission/season pass. KD gives you a good collection of quality scare mazes, free with park admission.

But let me get on to an idea I had for the company as a hole. Has anyone ever thought about Six Flags Entertainment breaking their task up into teams? For example, there would be a team that specializes in rides, a team for games, a team for shows and a team for Fright Fest attractions. Almost like Disney imagineering, but on a semi-level. Each team would be given a number of parks that they have to design stuff for. This would eliminate this whole debate about how certain parks get treated better than others. For example, if Six Flags were to brand a scary maze attraction, numerous versions of that maze would be made for every park, if they had the space for one. Same thing goes for the rides. If Six Flags start some type of Arkham Asylum dark ride, different versions would be made for every park, depending on the space they had.

To sum up what I just said, this idea would be to help the board of directors. Sometimes I feel the lack of creativity comes from there being over worked and not having any real knowledge on what makes a park good. Even Ed Hart mentioned in his interview that "It's all about the rides". If the board of directors are simply over worked and are lacking in creativity, how much attention do you think a park like SFA is going to get?

I'm beginning to think this park would benefit more if it were owned by an independent guy like Ed Hart. Maybe individual attention would benefit SFA more.

Good post. I agree on the no upcharge for mazes. I think they should be free with park admission/season pass. KD gives you a good collection of quality scare mazes, free with park admission.

But let me get on to an idea I had for the company as a hole. Has anyone ever thought about Six Flags Entertainment breaking their task up into teams? For example, there would be a team that specializes in rides, a team for games, a team for shows and a team for Fright Fest attractions. Almost like Disney imagineering, but on a semi-level. Each team would be given a number of parks that they have to design stuff for. This would eliminate this whole debate about how certain parks get treated better than others. For example, if Six Flags were to brand a scary maze attraction, numerous versions of that maze would be made for every park, if they had the space for one. Same thing goes for the rides. If Six Flags start some type of Arkham Asylum dark ride, different versions would be made for every park, depending on the space they had.

To sum up what I just said, this idea would be to help the board of directors. Sometimes I feel the lack of creativity comes from there being over worked and not having any real knowledge on what makes a park good. Even Ed Hart mentioned in his interview that "It's all about the rides". If the board of directors are simply over worked and are lacking in creativity, how much attention do you think a park like SFA is going to get?

I'm beginning to think this park would benefit more if it were owned by an independent guy like Ed Hart. Maybe individual attention would benefit SFA more.

I totally agree!!!